Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > memory leakage fix?

memory leakage fix?
wlonh
Professional Poster
May 25, 2000, 11:29 AM

"A tip for reclaiming "leaked" memory without restarting: Michael Corbin was having a memory leak associated with running Netscape. Not all users have this problem and this item is not really about the cause of the leak. It has about how to work-around leaks in general. Michael closed all open applications and then used Terminator Strip to quit the Finder. The "missing" memory was still not reclaimed. He had to restart to get it back. Then he found another solution: Run Disk First Aid. When you click to "Repair," Disk First Aid will ask to close all open applications. Let it do so. For Michael, this fixed the memory leak without needing to restart the Mac. It also prevented the frequent crashes that would otherwise have occurred if he did not restart after the leak occurred."

from MacFixit, today 05/25/00

rael9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2000, 11:58 AM

Another option for finding those "leaks" and getting rid of them is the freeware "MacOS Purge. Just double click it and it usually frees up any unaccounted for memory.
Geekery, THE full time job.

hoodoo
May 26, 2000, 12:22 PM

Also, Apple Tech recommends making your larger apps (like Netscape) startup items. This minimizes the chance of leaks.

wlonh  (op)
Professional Poster
May 26, 2000, 12:44 PM

hey, MacOS Purge will not accomplish what the DFA procedure will, the DFA procedure is much more akin to the action of Finder's Friend, the efficacy of which is hit and miss with 9.04 in my experience... and, i've been using MacOS Purge for years

what is the URL for that Apple TIL article? i want readers to be able to access it, and i'd like to read up on it too...

found this just now while perusing the Apple Tech OS 9 forum:
http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n19064

and:
http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n19484

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 05-26-2000).]

bugs
Forum Regular
May 27, 2000, 02:30 AM

I've used Mac OS Purge for years with some success.

My big leakers are Internet Exploder and RealPlayer. I shut off IE when I'm done (and immediately run Purge), and I try never to use RealPlayer more than a few minutes - it can grow to 50MB and it _always_ crashes the computer if left on.

Omphaloskepsis Often!
bugs
iMac 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 6GB, OS 10.6.8
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Core i7 8GB. OS 10.6.8
iPhone 3GS 32GB, OS 5 / TiBook / Newton (2)

Paul Crawford
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2000, 04:03 PM

Hi all,

One reason why the DFA Repair procedure may work is that it terminates all "faceless" background-only apps (BOAs) in addition to the normal apps that show up in the Application menu. In recent Mac OS versions (as a utility such as 'Memory Mapper' can testify), Apple ships quite a few BOAs in the form of "application extensions" (type 'appe'):- 'Control Strip Extension', 'FBC Indexing Scheduler', 'Time Synchronizer', 'Folder Actions', etc. The BOAs could be loaded non-contiguously and could also be allocating memory from the heap, thus contributing to fragmentation.

[Of course, it's not so easy to relaunch an 'appe'-type BOA after it's terminated -- at least not without rebooting, or temporarily changing its type to 'APPL'. ;-) It's probably why an Apple control panel that's associated with a BOA (e.g., the Control Strip CP) can detect when it is no longer running and offer to re-launch it.]

Regards,

--Paul

[This message has been edited by Paul Crawford (edited 05-27-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules