Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes Setup Assisant Question

iTunes Setup Assisant Question
cryer
Mar 30, 2007, 04:03 PM

When starting iTunes for the first time and this setup assistant starts, it asks, "Would you like to use iTunes to handle audio content from the Internet? The system settings will be changed to set iTunes as the helper application for audio you acess with your Web browser."

Options -- Yes, use iTunes for Internet audio content
No, do not modify my Internet settings

Nowhere in System Preferences or Safari preferences do I see anything about handling Internet audio content so I want to make sure I'm not screwing myself if I choose one or the other here. Plus, I'm not even sure what it really is talking about. Doesn't Quicktime handle both audio and video on the Web? ie. When you click on a link to an mp3 or wav, Quicktime will open them for you within the web browser page.

Do I have this right or is it referring to something else entirely? And can I change this option later so I don't have to permanently make this change now? Help is much appreciated, thank you!

cryer  (op)
Apr 2, 2007, 10:58 AM

I was hoping this would be a simple question.. anyone know?

Uisce
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2007, 04:35 PM

Well, choose yes. Modifying Safari is a pain, and iTunes is fine for playing Internet audio (streaming audio, not an audio file like an mp3 or wav).

Uisce

cryer  (op)
Apr 2, 2007, 08:26 PM

Thanks for the response! If I choose "no," what does it use for streaming audio then if not iTunes? And what sort of streaming audio does it play (ie. file types)? The only kinds I can think of are windows media and real player (something like previewing tracks on Amazon)

cryer  (op)
Apr 7, 2007, 03:06 PM

Anyone?

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2007, 05:36 PM

iTunes plays streaming mp3, which is often presented as files with the extensions .m3u or .pls, or just as a regular URL with MIME type audio/x-mpegurl.

If you choose "no", I imagine Safari would just download the .pls or .m3u file it presented with one.

cryer  (op)
Apr 7, 2007, 09:03 PM

I just clicked on a direct link to an .mp3 file and Safari just loaded up Quicktime within the page and started to play it. This is without setting iTunes for audio playback. I clicked on a .m3u file and it opened up iTunes to play without setting iTunes for audio playback. How can this be if I haven't set it?

It's weird, it's like iTunes is set by default but asks you as a prompt when you first start up like it needs to actually make a change (yet it's set by default). So what's the deal?

cryer  (op)
Apr 9, 2007, 08:59 PM

I'm surprised at the lack of detail about this topic, especially from Apple. Can't find anything on the web or at their website about this at all, really. And given my experience of it, it seems like it's enabled by default anyway but seemingly suggests that it needs to make some change.. very odd. If anyone knows otherwise, please respond.

Forum Links
Forum Rules