Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Titanium CPU upgrade

Titanium CPU upgrade
phobos
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2007, 03:35 PM

Hello people!!
I was looking for a cpu upgrade for my 667MHz Ti powerbook. There is one company called daystar (http://daystar-store.com) I suppose it's ex-XLR8 that does this kind of thing. It upgrades the 667 to 1.23GHz which is quite fine for such an old computer.
But the question is. Are these people well known? Has anyone of you tried their products?
For 539$ for a cpu upgrade and a new high capacity battery it looks like a sweet deal. I don't know how much shipping expenses will be but still. It's a nice deal.
Anyway hope someone has tried them
Cheers!

mfbernstein
Senior User
Apr 3, 2007, 05:11 PM

Haven't used them personally, but I've seen some reports (different model PowerBook, but same company). In short, they seem a bit sketchy.

But in any case, with used 1.25GHZ Aluminum PowerBooks hovering around the $800 mark, and refurbished 1st gen. MacBooks not that much more, I'd think long and hard before putting $500 into a TiBook. Unless you really are in love with the machine, I think a used Al-Book or a refurbished MB would be a better investment.

Don't get me wrong. I love my old TiBook 667 (currently on loan to a friend). But I'm not about to put more than the value of the machine itself into upgrading it.

phobos  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 4, 2007, 06:08 AM

Hmm that's a very interesting link!
I read the whole thread and it seems that I shouldn't bother doing that. Too much trouble for little gain.
Oh well...
Many thanks for your help mfbernstein.

daystartech
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2007, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by phobos View Post
Hmm that's a very interesting link!
For the record, Daystar is the original CPU upgrade company (since 1988) with over a quarter of a million upgrades to date.

The link from the poster above is actually for the Beta (Pre-Release) of the Aluminum upgrades, which are a different technology. So far we've done a few hundred of these, without the issues mentioned.

XLR8YourMac used to be a good place for getting a wide range of reviews, but Mike Breeden shut down the posting form, because he decided it took to much time for him to sort through the reports. Much to our disappointment, he chose to do it right after to "Beta" testers posted reviews before shipping. I should also note that although both of the people in the posts understood that they were working in a pre-release testing program, neither indicated that they would be immediately posting a review.... (amatures ).

I suggest looking at reviews after the product started shipping:
XLR8 1.75 GHz PowerBook AluminumUpgrade
BareFeats Review of the XLR8 PowerBook Alumimum Upgrade Review
Customer Reveiws on Daystar-Forum.com
MacsOnly XLR8 PowerBook Aluminum Upgrade Review

The last is the best comparison to the Titanium, as far as performance increase. I should also note that there are NONE of the power issues mentioned inthe reviews of the Beta (pre-release) products.

Product Information Pages:
XLR8 MAChSpeed G4 Aluminum Product Page
XLR8 MAChSpeed G4 Titanium Upgrade Product Page
Gary Dailey
Daystar Technology
Mac CPU Upgrades, Mac Video Capture, Apple Authorized Sales and Service

romeosc
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2007, 09:07 PM

daystartech,

I'm sure your company appreciates your defense, but when you can sell your old PB and get a refurb Macbook Pro for about same money as your upgrade, it doesn't make financial sense to upgrade an old PB, unless you need to run OS 9

daystartech
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2007, 07:43 AM

romeosc,

I agree. We sell new Macs (Apple Authorized Reseller) and help a number of people navigate the choices. But even for those of us that don't need OS9 or any classic applications, or that may have some older or bootleg software making it difficult to channge machines... a CPU upgrade is a viable choice.

If a person can get a new laptop for about the same price as an upgrade... go for it.

But actually for many people, who have kept their older systems up to date (upgrading the drive, RAM, OS over time)... the the cost of the additioal upgrades is the fastest, smartest and easiest way to more speed.

Basically the upgrade allows a person to get an incredible jump in speed for $399.

Even selling their old system on eBay for $600 or trading it in for $300 (we do trad-ins as well), they are still pretty much halfway short from getting an entry-level MacBook Pro. They could settle for a 13" MacBook for just a couple hundred more... but in absolute dollars out of pocket, the CPU upgrade wins.

On the other hand... if someone has had their trusty Titanium for years. Never put a dollar in it, then they should just trade it in, and move up. The cost for a new SuperDrive, larger HDD, addtional RAM and CPU upgrade and top case, plus the trade-in value pretty much rival a new system.
Gary Dailey
Daystar Technology
Mac CPU Upgrades, Mac Video Capture, Apple Authorized Sales and Service

Forum Links
Forum Rules