Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New PM enclosure vents - processor clue?

New PM enclosure vents - processor clue?
WallyWorld
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2002, 02:11 PM

In looking at the pictures of the new Power Mac enclosure, and reading comments about it at places like macosrumors.com, it appears clear that this new enclosure is REALLY focused on some heavy-duty cooling.

From what I've read, the enclosure has additional cooling vents, space for a HUGE heatsink, and a high-power, variable speed fan. That's some serious chip cooling capacity, IMHO.

I'm not an engineer, but I was wondering if this enhanced cooling is a clue that maybe Apple is looking at a bigger speed boost than we have been anticipating. The G4 chip certainly generates some heat, but I didn't think that even the dual-processor machines would need this kind of protection.

What do the rest of you think? Is Apple going to spring a secret Power5-based chip on us? Is the G5 ready to go now? Or is this enclosure just overbuilt way early in anticipation of G5's sometime next year, like we've all been led to believe?

PowerPC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2002, 02:38 PM

a Power5? ah no....

the G5? Well thats where things get tricky. What is the G5? The G5 is just a name at this point. Apple could call the next generation G4 (7470) a G5. we just don't know....

Just relax, take a deep breath.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 24, 2002, 02:58 PM

Please keep discussion to the one thread about the pics and mobo.

Thx.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Forum Links
Forum Rules