Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > WoW on the new iMacs

WoW on the new iMacs
No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2007, 01:21 PM

I've seen the Barefeats comparison, but I'm more interested in honest evaluations from people who actually play WoW for extended periods of time on their aluminum iMacs.

I'm interested in the performance "feel" of the game at medium or higher settings (preferably from people with the 2600 XT and 2600 Pro), in congested areas like Shattrath City or raid dungeons. I understand it's a bit subjective, but benchmarks aren't indicative of user experience and blanket statements like, "Oh yeah, I get 100 fps everywhere!" just aren't honest.

I need a new computer, as I sold mine a while back and have been relying on my iPhone for home web surfing (lol), and WoW is the only computer game I play.

I did a search but maybe my search skills aren't up to snuff.

Gr8Swammee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2007, 09:57 AM

Ok, first a look at my system..... 20" 2.4ghz, 3gb ram... 320gb (100 free). I'm also running a second 19" monitor through the mini dvi. When I play I'm almost always also watching tv on the second monitor (eyetv 200). I'm assunming that running the second monitor and watching tv takes a little out of the graphics card but i'm averaging 50fps with dips to 30 if I'm flying around Shat.I would say it's more than adequate at handling the game, my video settings are maxed with everything on except vertical sync and full screen glow. I'm guesing I could halve my terrain distance to get 100fps, but the game is very fluid the way I have it now.

Gr8Swammee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2007, 10:01 AM

I actually have yet to do any raiding with the new imac with the exception of gnomer and SM but being indoors they jumped fps to 65fps avg. I owuldn't hesitate recomending the imac for WoW

Forum Links
Forum Rules