Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > windowserver_last.log taking up 6gb space?

windowserver_last.log taking up 6gb space?
malcolm347
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2008, 01:18 PM

this is some 6gb file that apears when i run a hard drive scan with a program that i use. i tried to delete it, but it says i do not have "sufficient access priveleges"

is this necesary to the OS ? or what is this file ? anyone else have it ?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 1, 2008, 01:37 PM

What hard drive scan and what program? It could be poor coding of this program that is causing your log files to balloon.

Also I've changed your title because it's not very descriptive.

P
Oct 1, 2008, 02:02 PM

It's a logfile from the program windowserver, which is one of the programs used to display content on the screen. Mine is under 100k, so something seems to be wrong with yours. Try opening the file to see what it says, if it's anything useful for troubleshooting. If you can't delete it, open the terminal and attempt to delete it that way. Go to the right directory (mine is in /private/var/log) and do "sudo rm windowserver_last.log". Enter your password when asked and that should be it.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 1, 2008, 02:04 PM

There's a somewhat rare bug — I think it's only in older versions of the OS — that can cause that file to explode in size seemingly at random. Just delete it.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

malcolm347  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2008, 03:37 PM

i use Disk Inventory X

malcolm347  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2008, 03:49 PM

i cant find the "private" folder in my hard drive, i look in my hard drive, and its no where to be found. is there something to this ? or am i blind ?

malcolm347  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2008, 03:54 PM

and when i go in to terminal it wont let me type in the password when i use the sudo command

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 1, 2008, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm347 View Post
and when i go in to terminal it wont let me type in the password when i use the sudo command
You can't see the private folder, it's hidden.

Also, it IS typing your password, it just doesn't show it for security reasons.

malcolm347  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2008, 04:11 PM

okay, well whatever i try, i cannot get rid of the 6gb windowserver_last.log

when i go to terminal and try the sudo rm command it states "no such file or directory"

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 1, 2008, 04:38 PM

OK.

Open Terminal.
Type in cd /private/var/log/
sudo rm windowserver_last.log (hint - press tab to auto complete file/path names - make sure you select the right ones!)

Hit enter and type your password. Voila.

malcolm347  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2008, 04:46 PM

woo, i was able to delete that 6 gb monstrosity of a file.......but not having the file windowserver_last.log wont like...mess up my macbook will it ?

thanks for all of the help !!!

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 1, 2008, 04:52 PM

Nope, it'll just make another one. Keep an eye on it, it may start increasing in size again.

loredanav78
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2008, 11:53 PM

Hi everybody!
After reinstalling the operating system on my ibook G4 I went from having 21 G free to ~7 G and a /var/log/windowserver_last.log of ~13G.
What shall I do?
I have been reading different things: somebody say it is safe to cancel but some others says it freezes if you do.
Any advise?
Thanks for reading!!!
Lori

PS: Mac OS X 10.4.11 Processor 1.42 GHz PowerPC G4

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2008, 09:41 PM

What kinds of things does it say in the log file?

Mine is 104k.

loredanav78
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2008, 12:24 AM

the file starts with:
Oct 09 12:02:55 [55] kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGXOrderWindowList: Empty window
list
Oct 09 12:02:56 [3654] (ipc/rcv) invalid name: CGXRunOneServerPass: mach_msg (g
ServiceSet) failed (last RPC: LaunchAppRequestWithAuditInfo)
Oct 09 12:02:56 [3654] (ipc/rcv) invalid name: CGXRunOneServerPass: mach_msg (g
ServiceSet) failed (last RPC: LaunchAppRequestWithAuditInfo)

and finishes at this moment as:
Oct 10 10:52:29 [8087] (ipc/rcv) invalid name: CGXRunOneServerPass: mach_msg (gServiceSet) failed (last RPC: LaunchAppRequestWithAuditInfo)
Oct 10 10:52:29 [8087] (ipc/rcv) invalid name: CGXRunOneServerPass: mach_msg (gServiceSet) failed (last RPC: LaunchAppRequestWithAuditInfo)

So it seems it something went wrong between the 9th and the 10th of october. But nothing wrong after that.
What do you think?
Thanks

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2008, 04:18 PM

What were you running at that point? Do you remember using any new apps or any specific apps at all? It doesn't seem to mention anything specifically.

Try playing with apps you might have used at that point and see if you can't get it to do it again.

If you deleted the file, keep an eye open and see if it gets that big again. If it doesn't and you don't know of any specific cause, just assume it was a fluke. At least until it happens again, and this time try and remember what you were doing that might have done it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules