Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Why do only Ford cars have the keypad entry?

Why do only Ford cars have the keypad entry?
macfantn
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2008, 10:57 PM

i always thought that would come in handy, no lock outs, could lock keys in car etc. Do they have a patent on that idea?
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2008, 11:15 PM

Unlikely. My 1990 Nissan Maxima GXE had the keypad. I don't know why they dropped it, it's a damn handy feature on a car. When we were kids, we could leave stuff in the car at church and go get it without having to find our parents first.

I seem to recall seeing that keypad on some luxury cars, but I could be wrong.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2008, 11:25 PM

Having keyless entry is much more convenient for most of us.

BTW, with my car, it's impossible to lock your keys in the car. If there is a set of keys in the car, the car doors won't lock (unless you are sitting in the car and press the door lock on the inside of the door yourself).

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 26, 2008, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Having keyless entry is much more convenient for most of us.
You mean the keypad on the keychain that stays with your keys, even if they're still in the car?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2008, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
You mean the keypad on the keychain that stays with your keys, even if they're still in the car?
As I said before, The car won't allow me to lock the keys inside.

BTW, I don't need to take the keys out of my pocket to operate my car.

When I touch the inside of the door handle, it automatically unlocks the door, if I have the keys in my pocket.
When I press the start button, the car starts, if I have the keys in my pocket.
When I leave the car, I can just press a button on the handle to lock the doors, if I have the keys in my pocket.
If I try to lock the door with that button but the keys are still in the car, the car refuses to lock the door, and beeps to tell me the keys are still in the car. However, I never leave the keys in the car, because they're always just in my pocket anyway, since I don't have to take out my keys to operate my car.

This is way better than keypad entry.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 26, 2008, 11:55 PM

As I said before, it's impossible to lock my keys in the car. The car won't allow it.
But you also said "most of us," and most people don't have that feature.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2008, 12:01 AM

But you also said "most of us," and most people don't have that feature.
OK then. I guess I should say that keyless entry if properly implemented is way better than keypad entry.

After using this type of keyless entry, I'd find keypad entry irritating.

P.S. How do you lock the car if your keys are still in the car? I know that cars from a dozen years ago would stay locked if you locked the door from the inside switch when the door is open, but that seems stupid to me. Do cars still do that?

I suppose you can lock someone else's copy of the keys in the car if your car didn't have that anti-lock-keys-in-car-feature, but you still wouldn't be able to lock your own keys in the car if you needed the keys to lock the car.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2008, 12:14 AM

I always assumed those keypads could be too easily overseen and hacked to be used safely.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2008, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I always assumed those keypads could be too easily overseen and hacked to be used safely.
Same here.

BTW, I don't know if it's a common problem, but my parking garage neighbour had keypad issues on his car after just a few years. (Nissan Maxima I think, back in the 90s.) The buttons were sticking, like on a cellphone that was a few years old.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2008, 12:28 AM

I think that technology is making those keypads irrelevant. Pretty much like Ford.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2008, 12:48 AM

P.S. How do you lock the car if your keys are still in the car? I know that cars from a dozen years ago would stay locked if you locked the door from the inside switch when the door is open, but that seems stupid to me. Do cars still do that?
That's the way that every car I've ever dealt with works, and that's the way I think a car should work. I don't want the car acting as if it's smarter than I am. That's the only way to lock a car without a keychain remote or door keypad (both of those are technically "keyless" entry systems). My keyless remote broke off my keychain so I didn't have it with me for a few weeks. During that time I developed a very strong habit of hitting the door lock button as I got out of the car. It's entirely possible that I'd lock the doors completely subconsciously, but I keep a spare key handy in case that ever happens, which it hasn't yet.

The thing that ticks me off most is cars that automatically lock the doors once you start moving. I HATE when cars try and do something like that for me.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2008, 01:12 AM

The thing that ticks me off most is cars that automatically lock the doors once you start moving. I HATE when cars try and do something like that for me.
Why? That's a nice safety feature. The only time it might be annoying is on poorly implemented systems that don't unlock when you pull the door handle, such as GM cars. All other cars I've been in with that feature unlock the door when you pull the door handle to get out.
Vandelay Industries

Rumor
Oct 27, 2008, 01:25 AM

When I touch the inside of the door handle, it automatically unlocks the door, if I have the keys in my pocket.
When I leave the car, I can just press a button on the handle to lock the doors, if I have the keys in my pocket.
If I try to lock the door with that button but the keys are still in the car, the car refuses to lock the door, and beeps to tell me the keys are still in the car. However, I never leave the keys in the car, because they're always just in my pocket anyway, since I don't have to take out my keys to operate my car.

What kind of car do you drive?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2008, 02:37 AM

I always liked the keypad feature.

When I went to the gym, beach, or wherever losing my keys might be more likely, I could leave the keys in the car and then lock the door from the outside using the keypad. I never liked the way they used to look...

but on the newer Fords/Lincolns, they look very nice integrated into the door frame.

Not to say I don't like the standard keyless entry, but it is still a good feature.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2008, 02:48 AM

My car has this, and I hate it. Sometimes the car doesn't see the key, and it just won't start. The button on the outside is really small so you often miss it and have to keep hitting it. Worst of all, you can't lock the doors while you're in the car. You hit the lock button and they lock then unlock because the keys in the car. Its really dumb. I wish my car had a traditional remote and key. Oh well.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2008, 03:50 AM

Mine does that. You can turn it off if you want to.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2008, 03:51 AM

OK, here's the controversy (you know I had to):

If you're too stupid to not be able to look after a set of keys, you're too stupid to be sharing a road with me. It's a safety feature.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2008, 08:05 AM

I prefer the keyless entry system over a keypad, for largely the same reasons Eug listed. Plus, it's funny to see a passenger's reaction when I take the keys out of the ignition while driving.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2008, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
What kind of car do you drive?
Toyota Prius. However, this type of keyless entry is available on other cars as well.

Originally Posted by l008com View Post
My car has this, and I hate it. Sometimes the car doesn't see the key, and it just won't start.
The only time I've had this problem is when the battery of the keyfob died (after several years). However, I can simply plug the fob into the dash to start the car.

The button on the outside is really small so you often miss it and have to keep hitting it.
I'll let the others decide if that black square is too small or not:

I personally don't think it's too small, as it's as wide as my finger. Just how big do you need it?

Worst of all, you can't lock the doors while you're in the car. You hit the lock button and they lock then unlock because the keys in the car. Its really dumb. I wish my car had a traditional remote and key. Oh well.
???

Just hit the lock button on the door's armrest. If that doesn't work on your system, then that's just plain bad design.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2008, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Why? That's a nice safety feature. The only time it might be annoying is on poorly implemented systems that don't unlock when you pull the door handle, such as GM cars. All other cars I've been in with that feature unlock the door when you pull the door handle to get out.
My parents' late model van and car both do that. The front doors unlock when you pull the handle, but the rear doors don't, so the rear passengers are stuck back there until someone is nice enough to remember to unlock the doors. Or I'll throw something in the back seat, go for a drive, then hop out to grab it only to find that the doors locked. It's irritating. If I wanted the doors locked I'd lock them.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2008, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
I'm pretty sure all American makes automatically unlock the door when the handle is pulled, including GM. The only cars that I have seen that don't do that are Japanese autos. And I too like the auto lock on drive feature.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2008, 09:58 AM

I believe the inability to open locked rear-doors from the inside is a child-safety feature. Usually there's a switch that can be flicked to disable the feature.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2008, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
I believe the inability to open locked rear-doors from the inside is a child-safety feature. Usually there's a switch that can be flicked to disable the feature.
Yup, unless the latch is broken or something.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2008, 10:10 AM

The child-safety switch makes it impossible to open the rear doors from the inside, locked or not, same way police cars work. In the case of my parents' vehicles, it's possible to unlock the car from the inside, but it's cumbersome at times and unnecessary. Plus, like I mentioned, if I'm just trying to get something out of the back seat (or trunk, in the case of our van), it's an extra hassle for me.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2008, 10:12 AM

Okay, that sounds different than the implementations I've seen done.

Edit: I win because I have only two doors.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2008, 10:35 AM

Okay, that sounds different than the implementations I've seen done.

Edit: I win because I have only two doors.
But can you carry six people in the passenger compartment of your car?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2008, 10:38 AM

But can you carry six people in the passenger compartment of your car?
More importantly, why in ****s name would I want to?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2008, 11:29 AM

More importantly, why in ****s name would I want to?
You + five extremely hott girls that want to go home with you but will ONLY travel as a group.
It happens to me all the time.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2008, 11:31 AM

You + five extremely hott girls that want to go home with you but will ONLY travel as a group.
It happens to me all the time.
Whatever, I have a trunk.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2008, 12:08 PM

Whatever, I have a trunk.
What if there is a lot of junk in said trunk?

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2008, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
What if there is a lot of junk in said trunk?
Whatever, I have a roof and some rope.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2008, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I'm pretty sure all American makes automatically unlock the door when the handle is pulled, including GM. The only cars that I have seen that don't do that are Japanese autos. And I too like the auto lock on drive feature.
Unless GM changed it with 2008+ models, their cars do not do that. My partner's company car is a 2007 Chevy and it does not unlock the doors when you pull the door handle from the inside. The driver has to unlock the doors or put the car in Park and turn off the ignition. Then all the doors unlock.

I much prefer how other cars do it. Fords, BMWs, and Volvos, for example, only unlock the door when you pull the door handle and even then it's only that door.
Vandelay Industries

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2008, 01:40 PM

Whatever, I have a roof and some rope.
I dunno, dead hookers tend to get slippery. Trunk would be better.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2008, 01:48 PM

Wait, you can start the car via wireless? As soon as that gets hacked, car thieves are going to go nuts with it.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2008, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I dunno, dead hookers tend to get slippery. Trunk would be better.
What Dakar needs is a sidecar.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Doofy
Clinically Insane

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I dunno, dead hookers tend to get slippery.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Wait, you can start the car via wireless? As soon as that gets hacked, car thieves are going to go nuts with it.
You've never heard of remote starters? Usually you have to have the keys in the ignition to actually go anywhere.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2008, 02:04 PM

Wait, if the keys have to be in the ignition anyway, what's the point of using wireless to start it?

Is turning the key really that hard?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2008, 02:04 PM

Wait, if the keys have to be in the ignition anyway, what's the point of using wireless to start it?

Is turning the key really that hard?
Warming up the car in the winter?

Edit: The keys have to be in the ignition to drive, not turn on. Done playing the role of the obtuse?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2008, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
What Dakar needs is a sidecar.
No, the dead hookers will only fall out after hitting a good bump.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 27, 2008, 02:08 PM

^ From keypads on Ford cars to bumping dead hookers in sidecars in one page. Very well played, all.

Originally Posted by Dakar V
Isn’t that what timers are for?

Even our old (1981) Mercedes had a timer, so when we came out to the car in the morning, it had already warmed itself up.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2008, 02:27 PM

While that typically is the intent, idling is the worst way to warm up a car.

Edit: The keys have to be in the ignition to drive, not turn on. Done playing the role of the obtuse?
Often yes, but it depends on the system. I wouldn't like having to leave my car in neutral all of the time for a remote start system to work. Not to mention the difficulty of bypassing Ford's computer chip-in-key PATS system. For a while, I was considering doing away with my key and using the ignition cut on my custom keyless entry system combined with a push-button ignition, but those obsticles combined with the steering lock dissuaded me from doing that.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2008, 02:30 PM

While that typically is the intent, idling is the worst way to warm up a car.

Often yes, but it depends on the system. I wouldn't like having to leave my car in neutral all of the time for a remote start system to work. Not to mention the difficulty of bypassing Ford's computer chip-in-key PATS system. For a while, I was considering doing away with my key and using the ignition cut on my custom keyless entry system combined with a push-button ignition, but those obsticles combined with the steering lock dissuaded me from doing that.
Hey, I'm not here discuss the reasoning, just the facts.

Also, you're a stupid moron with an ugly face and big butt and your butt smells and you like to kiss your own butt.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2008, 02:39 PM

I'd just hire someone to run out in the morning and start the thing up.

Or better yet, have kids, wait, then let them do it. Nothing makes a 4 year old happier than getting behind the wheel and startin' up daddy's car.

A last resort would be to start a little fire on the seat - nothing big here, keep it civil.

Oh, keypads. I had a Ford Edge for a little while, never used the keypad.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2008, 02:50 PM

Wait, you can start the car via wireless?
Yes. I never have to take the keys out of my pocket. All I need to do is press my foot on the brake and press the start button.

As soon as that gets hacked, car thieves are going to go nuts with it.
You mean as opposed to how they hack cars already?

BTW, I'm told the Prius is one of least stolen cars in North America.

Not for my car. See above.

However, one cannot start the car remotely. You have to have your foot on the brake. That's the one drawback with this system, especially since I park outside in Canadian winters.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2008, 02:50 PM

My friend has a keypad on his truck. He leaves his keys in the car and goes out drinking. If he's too drunk to remember the code- he can't get in and thus, can't drive.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2008, 02:51 PM

Not for my car. See above.
Maybe I wasn't talking about your car?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2008, 02:52 PM

Also, I know Ford (at least used to) offers the external keypad as a dealer-installed option. It's essentially another keyless remote just stuck onto the side of the car - it's programed to interface with the the current keyless entry system so that nothing permanent is done to the car.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2008, 02:57 PM

BTW, I'm told the Prius is one of least stolen cars in North America.
Well yeah, because who would want it. A car thief wants something fast enough to escape in. Like a Contour...

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2008, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit View Post
My friend has a keypad on his truck. He leaves his keys in the car and goes out drinking. If he's too drunk to remember the code- he can't get in and thus, can't drive.
Hmmm... I can always remember my bank account PIN codes when I'm drunk.

Maybe I wasn't talking about your car?
I figured as much but I thought I may as well clarify it.

Well yeah, because who would want it. A car thief wants something fast enough to escape in. Like a Contour...
Heh. Anyways, most cars are stolen to be stripped for parts. One reason Priuses are unpopular to be stolen (even now when Priuses are common on the road) is because it takes specialized mechanics to disassemble these cars. Lots of high voltage circuits.

Forum Links
Forum Rules