Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > upgrading cdrom in iBook 366?

upgrading cdrom in iBook 366?
amo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2002, 11:37 AM

Hello, I have an iBook 366 SE that I'm going to upgrade the hard drive in. I started thinking that while I have the sucker open, I might as well see if I can upgrade the cd-rom to a cd-rw as well. Does anyone know if this can be done and if so, how would I find out what kind of drive to purchase?

Thankyou for any info!

acX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2002, 06:54 AM

I remember seeing a kit for the ibook 366/466 to add a CD-RW drive. If i remember correctly, it was expensive. Unless you really like the form factor of the 366, consider skipping the hard disk + CDRW upgrades, and selling the 366 on ebay. Then pick up a new or refurb 500 with everything you want in it. Example: Sell your ibook on ebay $700, + hard drive cost $100 ( for a 20 gig ) + $300 CDRW ( about $1100 )

Smalldog.com has a new ibook 600/128/30 GB Drive with CDRW for $1069. They probably only have one of these deals, so you have to shop around for an ibook like this..

I''ll try to dig up the CD-RW kit web site if you still go that route.
If you do the hard disk and CD-RW yourself, make sure you get good instructions. I upgraded the HD on a 366 and I would have been lost without a good guide with pictures. You have to take almost everything apart.

good luck,

ac

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by amo:
<strong>Hello, I have an iBook 366 SE that I'm going to upgrade the hard drive in. I started thinking that while I have the sucker open, I might as well see if I can upgrade the cd-rom to a cd-rw as well. Does anyone know if this can be done and if so, how would I find out what kind of drive to purchase?

Thankyou for any info!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">

Forum Links
Forum Rules