Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Where to get an iBook?

Where to get an iBook?
cElls
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2001, 10:13 PM

It seems like all the retailers are on backorder. Do you think they'll have them in stock soon, or are new ones coming on the 18th?
-Chris

maclove
Jul 9, 2001, 10:22 PM

I myself I think new ones are coming out in different colors

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2001, 10:41 PM

I'm seriously wondering what's up with the iBook, though I think Apple just has a huge number of orders, and they didn't accurately guage consumer interest in the product, especially considering they probably give first dibs on iBooks to their retail stores... though there are only two of them right now, that shouldn't be a problem.

Mine was scheduled to come in the 13th... I myself hope I didn't miss a new iBook by mere days... I'm questioning ordering one right now quite heavily. But, kicking back and watching Jobs deliver the keynote through a wireless internet connection should be good... so long as I don't spill cereal on the keyboard if he announced a new 'Book!

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 9, 2001, 11:34 PM

They are going for high prices on eBay right now so there must be a shortage...

I could go uptown, buy one from a store, and make a few hundred dollars right now selling it there. In fact, I think I will...

pierce1979
Jul 9, 2001, 11:39 PM

If you are college student get them through your campus store, that is what I did, I had my new book in 9 days. It was just the base config and just adding the ram myself.

pierce1979
Jul 9, 2001, 11:56 PM

If you are college student get them through your campus store, that is what I did, I had my new book in 9 days. It was just the base config and just adding the ram myself.

RedHerring
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2001, 09:16 AM

I ordered mine through the Apple Store on a Friday, and had it in 10 days. Of course, the AV cable and printer I ordered on the same day were here in 5 days, but I'm not complaining

And would Apple *really* release anything drastically different from the current iBook on the 18th? I mean, this design is fairly new isn't it? I'm new...does Apple operate that way?
RedHerring: Trying to do more than convert air into carbon dioxide since 1979...

<cells>
Jul 10, 2001, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by RedHerring:
<STRONG>I ordered mine through the Apple Store on a Friday, and had it in 10 days. Of course, the AV cable and printer I ordered on the same day were here in 5 days, but I'm not complaining

And would Apple *really* release anything drastically different from the current iBook on the 18th? I mean, this design is fairly new isn't it? I'm new...does Apple operate that way?</STRONG>

cElls  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2001, 09:44 AM

Arrgh, "High Server Load." Disregard my other post. What I was trying to say was: Apple probably has iBooks in stock, but all the other retailers give a free 128mb module and don't charge tax. I guess my last resort would be to order from the Apple Store.

Crombie914
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2001, 10:59 AM

I got a keylime se with 256 megabites of ram with a zipcd burner and tons of software if you want it.

John
----------
An Apple a Day Keeps Me Happy

cElls  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2001, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by Crombie914:
<STRONG>I got a keylime se with 256 megabites of ram with a zipcd burner and tons of software if you want it.

John
----------
An Apple a Day Keeps Me Happy</STRONG>
Nah... If I was going to get a used/refurbished mac, I'd get a Pismo.

Phoible
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2001, 04:28 PM

I ordered mine about two weeks after they were announced. I got it about 10 days later. Now you have to wait a bit longer than that (but I had to buy mine without seeing it first).

amo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2001, 05:37 PM

I got my iBook at my college computer store, they even busted the thing out of the box to make sure it worked and didn't have any bad pixels for me. =)

Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2001, 05:52 PM

That's weird... it seems like we get plenty of those little new iBooks in Europe... Did Steve fall in love with Europe or something? This is actually the first time I hear that there is backorders in the US while we have them in stock in Europe.

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2001, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by Ryu:
<STRONG>That's weird... it seems like we get plenty of those little new iBooks in Europe... Did Steve fall in love with Europe or something? This is actually the first time I hear that there is backorders in the US while we have them in stock in Europe.</STRONG>
Funny, in Switzerland I cannot observe anything that comes near ample supply of the DVD iBook (the other versions are stock tho). I'm waiting for my DVD iBook since day 2 (ordered on May 2) from one of the two Apple Distibutors in Switzerland. I was told that I was number thirteen in the queue, and recently became number eleven, so I don't think there are large numbers of the DVD iBook delivered here.

Don't tell me the situation in France is better ...

Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2001, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by 2far:
<STRONG>

Funny, in Switzerland I cannot observe anything that comes near ample supply of the DVD iBook (the other versions are stock tho). I'm waiting for my DVD iBook since day 2 (ordered on May 2) from one of the two Apple Distibutors in Switzerland. I was told that I was number thirteen in the queue, and recently became number eleven, so I don't think there are large numbers of the DVD iBook delivered here.

Don't tell me the situation in France is better ... </STRONG>
I am a very happy camper since I got my iBook DVD and in fact, I ordered it from MacWarehouse and I received it the day after I order it. Do you have MacWarehouse in Switzerland? Try it if you do. They have plenty of them... well, they had at least 40 of them 2-3 weeks ago.

In fact, Fnac is shipping every model in 24H after order.

Check out:

iBook DVD:
http://www.fnac.com/Shelf/article.as...ef93f2&AID=&Or igin=F

[ 07-11-2001: Message edited by: Ryu ]

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2001, 10:39 PM

There must be a shortage of Combo drive iBooks or something... I put mine on eBay for the hell of it, thinking that I'm going on a holiday in 2 days anyway, and MWNY will be long over when I get back... I paid $2800 CDN for it, added $100 CDN for 256 MB of RAM, all told with taxes it cost me $3100. It sold today on eBay for $3450. Not too shabby, since I can go up to the same store again tonight if I want and buy the same laptop again, only this time have a few hundred bucks in my pocket too.

I'll probably wait and either get a flat panel iMac or a graphite iBook in a few weeks.

Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2001, 05:31 AM

In France, all 4 models are available. Seriously, anyone wants french keyboard should come to Paris and get one.

<Just>
Jul 12, 2001, 09:26 AM

That's weird, in the Netherlands there is a shortage of iBooks at all big distributors, except for the CDRW.. Expected deliverytime 15 days. I tried the ASERTY keyboard once, but I don't think I'd ever get used to that, so the only thing I can do is wait....

<jerome>
Jul 15, 2001, 03:11 PM

In Paris, after calling all the shops who told me the combo was on back order,one shop told me though that if I was ready to pay more than retail, they could find one very fast.so I hung up...
then went to Surcouf, they had combos in stock, and bought one.
the sad thing is two days ago on a french highway near toulouse, a luggage case fell off my motorbike;;yes, the one with the new ibook...I just hope whoever found it will make good use of it or give me a call..

<BryanDFW>
Jul 19, 2001, 06:09 PM

One place I found that I would have never thought of is Circuit City. I bought my combo iBook there yesterday. They have a decent system set up--you can order on the web page and pick it up in-store the same day. Plus, if you order it online, you don't have to argue with the sales associate about the extended warranty that you don't want.

Bryan
DFW Texas

cElls  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2001, 07:38 PM

Success ! I just ordered an iBook/DVD from smalldog.com . It should come on Wednesday or Thursday. They were on back order for the longest time...
-Chris

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2001, 09:14 PM

ClubMac has the iBook DVD in stock as of right now, I believe... and nicely enough, my iBook DVD just shipped today - trust me, everyone, it's worth the wait, you'll completely forget any wait you had once you get it

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2001, 01:51 AM

MacWarehouse.com has all models with free 128 ram. I just ordered my DVD iBook today
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2001, 08:26 PM

FWIW,
I was in the local Circuit City (Charleston, SC) on Sunday. They had the iBook combo for $1699.00 (the price card said "valid thru 7/28" in the fine print). I don't know if this is just some weird local special (I saw no mention of it in their weekly flyer or on their website). Makes it about the same deal as buying tax-free over the web plus you get the extra perks of an easy-return if you have any problems.

I'd love to hear if anyone else has seen this deal at their local CC ??

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 23, 2001, 11:11 PM

I was surprised to see the same $1699 deal at a couple of Circuit Cities in the Chicago area, so my guess is that it is nation-wide.

abo
Jul 24, 2001, 03:08 AM

Originally posted by Icruise:
<STRONG>I was surprised to see the same $1699 deal at a couple of Circuit Cities in the Chicago area, so my guess is that it is nation-wide.</STRONG>
On their website it's $1799, so at best it's an in-store offer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules