Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is the Edu discount a good deal?

Is the Edu discount a good deal?
Wayland
Sep 5, 2009, 01:08 AM

I can get the educational discount through my school. I'll probably get the base macbook pro for $1099 and the 16gb ipod touch for $70 and give it to my wife. She wants one as a birthday present.

Is this a good deal? It seems to beat what I can get through Amazon or Mac Connection. Through apple I pay sales tax, but it is still a little cheaper.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 5, 2009, 01:16 AM

I think you've answered your own question.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2009, 01:59 AM

Well you're saving pretty much the most money possible on a new Mac besides the Apple employee discount. So yeah, it's a good deal.

Cloud
Sep 5, 2009, 03:10 AM

It works out to 10%(ish).

Its as close as you can get to one that fell off the back of a truck.

macfix
Sep 5, 2009, 01:16 PM

Just a reminder that the education deal where you get the iPod expires on 9/8/09.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2009, 07:02 PM

A lot of times Amazon and/or some other retailers (idk, maybe ClubMac? MacMall? They all run together to me) will match Apple's edu price, but not have sales tax. But if even if they did now, it'd be besides the point, since the free iPod promotion is going on if you go through edu channels (Apple or your school's store), as macfix just said.

sogbrightlight
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2009, 07:12 PM

Buy the MBP sell the 8gb ipod touch on amazon for the lowest price then buy a new ipod touch when they come out next week. I sold mine in less than an hour.
Bla Bla Bla

kennedy
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2009, 09:37 PM

Check out MacMall.com... usually you can get a comparable deal from them or even better... and no sales tax makes it a clear win.
Mac Nut since before color Macs, working for UT Austin Microcenter supporting Mac users

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 6, 2009, 03:59 AM

Yeah, no.

Spend 5 minutes doing research into MacMall's reputation and you'll never order from them again. Danger, Will Robinson!

If you're gonna go discount, do Amazon, J&R, etc.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2009, 10:05 AM

If you can sign up for the Apple student developer discount, that is a worthwhile one-time deal.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Wayland  (op)
Sep 7, 2009, 07:56 PM

I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I will probably do it tomorrow. Does the apple education online store need my id# or something?

I could probably squeeze another six months out of my ibook g4, but I figure since my wife wants an ipod anyhow I might as well get this deal. Sniff, I will miss my little white friend.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 7, 2009, 08:30 PM

They don't require ID. And trust me.. You won't miss your little white friend.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2009, 10:38 PM

I hope you already placed the order... here in the east you only have an hour and 20 mins left!

Make sure you take a look at the refurbs if you don't need the iPod, however - they're lower than the education price.

Uisce
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2009, 12:04 AM

Fwiw, imo the best time to buy a Mac is almost always in the late summer when Apple is doing its back to school event and you can get a free iPod with the computer. Unless you want a free printer, but they are commodities anymore.

Also, if you can combine the education discount with a tax free weekend that usually occurs during the Apple promotion, you can really rack up some savings - like close to 20% depending on state.

Uisce

Polo2883
Sep 10, 2009, 07:32 AM

I just recently got a 12% off coupon from Best Buy. There are no restrictions like it use to have about not using it on Mac products. It actually specifically lists Apple Ipods as a product that can get the discount. I know 12% isn't much but with Apple products its 2% better than the EDU discount.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2009, 07:48 AM

Refurb discounts can be a lot more than 10% or 12% depending on the type of Mac and time you buy.

As an example, the current mid-range 15" MBP is 20% off as a refurb. That's $400 saved right there.

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2009, 05:32 PM

The best educational deals are on discontinued models sold at selected college bookstores. I have saved up to 50% on brand-new portable Macs and iMacs; I have never seen MacPros offered.

For example, I bought a 1GHz iBook in 2004 for $649, 50% off the retail price of $1099. (I sold it last week for $335.) The 24" iMac 2.16GHz that I am using right now cost me $1099 vs. $1999 retail, and the deal included $150 off an iPod.

Sometimes the deals are not advertised and the Macs can go quickly. So when Apple announces new Macs it pays to contact your bookstore to find out if they are offering discontinued Macs for sale. Be persistent, because I have received erroneous info from sales clerks... In my experience the store buyer will sometimes snag a great deal on multiple units, so the sale isn't limited to left-over stock.

Apple refurbs can be good deals too: I snagged a 2.16GHz 24" iMac for a friend for $1299. I think that it had been returned to Apple because of damage to the box, because it arrived double-boxed with the Mac in the original retail box instead of the usual plain brown box reserved for refurbs. Both boxes had a hole through them, but in different locations, as if the computer had been removed for inspection and then repacked with the holes mismatched. The iMac worked perfectly.

And once I stumbled upon a 2.16GHz 24" iMac with an upgraded video card for $1299 at MacMall; that was a significant savings considering the original retail price was around $2400!

xpsonic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2009, 04:14 AM

I just upgraded my MB to a MBP and I thought the edu discount was worth it especially with the touch and printer deal. Ive heard of another college (UCLA) having like a tremendous discount though, like 5-10% more than what I got off of my whole set. I wish I couldve got that deal, but ah well... better than nothing at all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules