Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > how does internet explorer know what color your computer is?

how does internet explorer know what color your computer is?
nibs
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2000, 03:51 AM

i remember seeing screenshots of ie 5 on a g4 and all the buttons and widgets were graphite. i'm using it on a blueberry imac and my buttons are blueberry. this may be the coolest feature i've ever seen. i changed my whole appearance theme to match it.

Sean Li
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2000, 04:49 AM

It doesn't know what color your Mac is - Blueberry is the default color theme.

Kon-El
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 28, 2000, 10:28 AM

Umm, I think it knows what kind of Mac you have (but not color), because I have a rev.B Imac and it defaulted to Bondi! (Yes I checked, its NOT blueberry) I think its graphite on G4s & SE models & defaults to blueberry for everything else save the bondi on Rev. A & B iMacs.

Isn't that just cool?

Pax Christi,
-Nik
In Christ,
Deacon Nikolai
http://nstanosheck.wordpress.com

bipto
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 28, 2000, 10:32 AM

It did not choose the appropriate color on my Lombard. It used the standard Blueberry upon installation. I then switched to Graphite cause that one's the coolest!

cody
Mar 28, 2000, 11:29 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kon-El:
I think its graphite on G4s & SE models & defaults to blueberry for everything else save the bondi on Rev. A & B iMacs.

on my b&w g3 it defaulted to bondi also.

adamschneider
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2000, 12:34 PM

On my beige G3, it defaulted to Bondi.

schmeeot
Mar 28, 2000, 01:30 PM

I installed it on my iMac DV SE and it defaulted to Graphite - I think it "knows," somehow. Any insight on how this is done?

Misha
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2000, 01:37 PM

I believe the machine's color (at least for iMacs and G4s) is stored in the computer's GESTALT ID. The Mac OS uses this as well... if you do a clean install of the Mac OS 9 on a strawberry iMac DV, for example, it will select the starwberry fusion theme by default.

Sort of cool, I guess.

svosseller
Mar 28, 2000, 02:22 PM

You know those cameras at CompUSA near the checkouts? We're watching.

Okay, take this as humor, not part of some MS conspiracy theory

It is part of the gestalt code. That's all I'll say.

------------------
--
Shan Vosseller
Program Manager -
Mac IE

bood69
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2000, 03:04 PM

Well, shoot, I have a lime DV and it defaulted to Bondi! No biggie though, in any case the UI is lovely.

toh
Mar 28, 2000, 03:39 PM

Some recent Macs have case colours that happen to be unique to a machine's gestalt ID, so they can be identified with a simple gestalt check. Others can't be, so IE5 defaults to Blueberry, which is the most commonly sold colour of iMac or iBook anyway. Or so I suppose.

All of which is very nice, but there should clearly be an additional choice to use whatever the user has previously set in the Appearance control panel, if not for the toolbar buttons then at least for scrollbars and menu highlights. I find it annoying that IE now uses a different colour for these standard UI elements than everything else on my Mac; so much for playing nice as a well-behaved Mac app. I hope to see this addressed in the next version...

Cotton
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 28, 2000, 04:33 PM

huh. i have a lime DV as well - bondi . . . .

Kon-El
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 28, 2000, 07:29 PM

TOH,

Why is it such a problem? It makes the menu highlight match in Apple Platinum. It looks nice, what's the problem?

Pax Christi,
-Nik
In Christ,
Deacon Nikolai
http://nstanosheck.wordpress.com

Yourdog
Mar 28, 2000, 08:41 PM

I have a G4/400 AGP and it defaulted to bondi, not graphite. Wonder why it didn't work?

camera punk
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2000, 10:44 PM

On my Yikes! G4 it came out graphite. go figure!

jeralamo
Mar 29, 2000, 12:09 AM

Some of you who find it defaulting to Blueberry may actually be seeing Bondi. I have a revD Blueberry iMac and thought that that it defaulted to that as well; but when I explored (no pun intended) the "view" menu, it was really Bondi. Installing it on my son's Lime iMac resulted in the same initial Bondi color.

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2000, 12:34 AM

My G4, my PB, and my Rev A iMac all had bondi blue.
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

cteselle
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 29, 2000, 01:00 AM

Wallstreet powerbook defaulted to Blueberry...

------------------
Promote Chicken Randomness

toh
Mar 30, 2000, 03:08 AM

Nik:

It's a problem because it subverts an OS-wide UI decision I already made, and you have a situation where it either looks different from everything else on the system, or dictates what everything else will look like from its small selection of choices. It's simple poor behaviour for an app. The IE team just got a little overzealous on this one; they should have stopped with the button and address bar and left the menus, scrollbars, focus rectangles, and other broad UI widgets to the user's choice in Appearance. And yes, that choice is important; for one thing most of the IE ones look awful on my LCD screen.

Fortunately it turns out these things really are seperate, and defined in a fairly simple resource in the IE app (Flv#). The shorthand names for each coloured button set are followed by a couple of 24-bit specifications which seem to set up the colour for the scrollbars, menus, and as a bonus the little "e" throbber. I don't have a template for the resource or a full idea of how the two colours are being interpreted (explanation anyone?), but it's enough to get back to a nice muted green alongside those "graphite" (blue on my screen) buttons.

iPond317
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2000, 11:50 AM

I have a Rev. B iMac and after installing IE 5, the browser scheme defaulted to Bondi! I prefer the Graphite over all the other colors however.

------------------
-- iPond317
All hail iMac DV
G4 Performance Leader
iBook #1 consumer laptop
Mac OS 9: Your Internet co-pilot
Power Mac G4 considered "super computer"
Think different.
iPond317 | ODU Apple Campus Rep
"Ten years ago down by the lake I sunk my sweet love down to her watery grave." - Hello Again | DMB

Old: Apple IIc, PowerMac 7200/90, iMac Bondi Blue 233, Titanium PowerBook G4 400 - New: MacBook 2.0, iPhone 8GB, AirPort Extreme Gb, iPod 30GB 5th Gen

Forum Links
Forum Rules