Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Virtual PC, a webcam and NetMeeting

Virtual PC, a webcam and NetMeeting
amo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2001, 12:06 AM

Sup fellas. I've (somewhat) recently moved out of state and my folks want to talk to me using a webcam and MS NetMeeting. There isn't a Mac version of this program, so I'm thinking about getting Virtual PC and using it that way.

I know there isn't a real version for OSX yet, but many of you are using the Test Drive. Would there be any reason why this shouldn't work? I know USB webcams don't really work in X right now, but I think I can use my DV camcorder as a firewire webcam.

Thanks for any insight!

rw
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2001, 02:27 AM

I was not able to receive video using NetMeeting on VPC on OSX. NetMeeting ran all right otherwise, but would not display the video transmission. I don't know about sending, but I imagine you'd have similar problems.
Dang! I forgot to uncheck the "Show Signature" button again!

amo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2001, 08:57 AM

crap. well thanks a bunch for lettin' me know, I really would've been pissed if I had to buy it to figure that out.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2001, 10:23 AM

try using ivisit. there are both mac and windows versions of the webcam software. the only catch is that you have to use OS 9 to use a USB webcam.

-r.

Forum Links
Forum Rules