Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > "Open PDF in Preview" - Snow Leopard Change/Mistake?

"Open PDF in Preview" - Snow Leopard Change/Mistake?
DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2009, 02:21 PM

Quite often, I have used "Open PDF in Preview" to preview copies of websites, and other documents, before saving them to my hard drive as PDFs as resources to be reviewed later. I've always used Acrobat Reader to open PDFs by default and, in 10.5, "Open PDF in Preview" in the Print window has always opened PDFs in Preview.

But, after I upgraded to 10.6, I found that when "Open PDF in Preview" is used, the PDFs now open with my default application which is Acrobat Reader. Although the command is named "Open PDF in Preview," it should now be named "Open as PDF (with default application)."

I don't know if this change is intentional or if this change is some sort of coding error that now uses the default application when the "Open PDF in Preview" command is selected in 10.6. I thought that I'd post my observation for those who may be interested.

krove
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2009, 02:26 PM

I'm not sure what is going on here, but I suggest you file a bug:
https://bugreport.apple.com/

I'm curious, though. Why do you use Adobe Acrobat Reader at all? I personally find it down-right offensive: slow, buggy, poor quality display. Craptastic at best. Mac OS X has plenty of PDF tools (printing to PDF, Preview's annotations, etc). Why would you want Adobe's shitty software? I always find it odd when people have gone out of their way to install it.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2009, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by krove View Post

I'm curious, though. Why do you use Adobe Acrobat Reader at all? I personally find it down-right offensive: slow, buggy, poor quality display. Craptastic at best. Mac OS X has plenty of PDF tools (printing to PDF, Preview's annotations, etc). Why would you want Adobe's shitty software? I always find it odd when people have gone out of their way to install it.
ditto, yeah i shrug every time i see it installed on a Mac.

DCJ001  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2009, 02:58 PM

I submitted feedback at http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

I have heard others say that Acrobat Reader is slow. It opens instantly for me and I like the appearance of PDFs in Acrobat Reader as opposed to Preview. I can't imagine what is so awful about Acrobat Reader. I've got fairly simple needs and I could get by using either but, for now, I use Acrobat Reader unless I'm editing PDFs.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2009, 03:45 PM

Does Preview actually work with all PDF forms yet?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

krove
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2009, 03:49 PM

I haven't come across any PDF forms that don't work.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

DCJ001  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2009, 04:50 PM

Along with being able to work with images and PDFs, Preview works as scanner software:
File-> Import From Scanner

I just found this recently and I wonder how long this feature has been there.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2009, 04:53 PM

Quite some time.
Vandelay Industries

Forum Links
Forum Rules