Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Marktetplace posts

Marktetplace posts
robo74
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2005, 10:52 PM

As I see I am not the only one who feels this way, I thought I would bring this to the feedback section as Steve requested.

Where do you draw the lines as "general" items?

Rob
( Last edited by robo74; Jan 30, 2005 at 10:41 PM. )

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2005, 11:38 AM

When you have the title "general items" you are opening yourself up t6o many kinds of sales. I think it should be mac or mac related only.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 30, 2005, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by robo74:
Where do you draw the lines as "general" items?
Any good that is legal to sell. Houses, cars, computers, bikes, books, animals, and anything else are all legitimate salable items.

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
When you have the title "general items" you are opening yourself up t6o many kinds of sales. I think it should be mac or mac related only.
I assume you are also in favor of closing the Lounge?
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2005, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by Scotttheking:
Any good that is legal to sell. Houses, cars, computers, bikes, books, animals, and anything else are all legitimate salable items.

I assume you are also in favor of closing the Lounge?
Of course not. That's what the lounge is for. Anything goes (well, almost anything). When people come to a Mac forum and go to the Marketplace, do you really think they are looking for houses, cars, bikes, books, and animals? No, they are looking for Mac related items. Just look at the Marketplace threads - they are 99.9% Mac and computers. It's a VERY simple thing to remove the "general items" from the thread description. Seriously, why would this be a problem?

It may affect the 0.1% of people trying to sell a house here. It just makes no sense to me (and apparently a few others) why you are so defensive about this. It doesn't harm anyone (as I said 99.9% of posts there are Mac-related anyway as expected). But, it will keep out the silly posts about links to auctions for car parts (God, that was annoying). Because "General" was in the description, he had every right to post it (several times I might add) and it became a flame-fest.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 30, 2005, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by Mrjinglesusa:
Of course not. That's what the lounge is for. Anything goes (well, almost anything). When people come to a Mac forum and go to the Marketplace, do you really think they are looking for houses, cars, bikes, books, and animals? No, they are looking for Mac related items. Just look at the Marketplace threads - they are 99.9% Mac and computers. It's a VERY simple thing to remove the "general items" from the thread description. Seriously, why would this be a problem?

It may affect the 0.1% of people trying to sell a house here. It just makes no sense to me (and apparently a few others) why you are so defensive about this. It doesn't harm anyone (as I said 99.9% of posts there are Mac-related anyway as expected). But, it will keep out the silly posts about links to auctions for car parts (God, that was annoying). Because "General" was in the description, he had every right to post it (several times I might add) and it became a flame-fest.
My suggestion to you: If you see a thread and don't like it, don't read it. If a thread becomes a problem, there's a report abuse link. The moderators will handle it.

It makes no sense to me why you are so against having other items for sale, just because you might not be interested in them.

--Scott
My website

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2005, 03:22 PM

I agree with the logic that the marketplace should be for mac related sales only, but if its just a few threads about buying small islands or whatever, just ignore them.

tpssensor68
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2005, 04:02 PM

It is for MAC users selling general f*cking items and I'm pretty god damn pissed off that everyone is allowed to post 'general' items in the marketplace except for me.

FIRE LATERALUS HE'S AN IDIOT, apparently the guy CANNOT READ THAT THE MARKETPLACE ALLOWS GENERAL ITEMS.

- Ca$h

PS: Here is the auction I have posted over 5 times and lateralus has locked it even though it'sa LEGIT valid general item. I will be going to the marketplace now and demanding that every non- mac related topic be also locked becuase he's that ****ing stupid.
( Last edited by tpssensor68; Jan 30, 2005 at 04:37 PM. )

tpssensor68
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2005, 04:35 PM

By the what, what the hell is markTETplace? What a dumbass.

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 30, 2005, 09:19 PM

He didn't close your thread because it was a general item, Rob. He closed it because it didn't abide by the Forum Guidelines (which are posted at the top of the Marketplace) and you were being an asshat, either of which is enough to close a thread.

Doing this is not helping anything, btw.

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2005, 10:22 PM

assume you are also in favor of closing the Lounge?

The longue ain't a market place, rocket scientist.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 30, 2005, 10:36 PM

The longue ain't a market place, rocket scientist.
Wait... what? Please explain I'm so confused.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2005, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by Steve:
Wait... what? Please explain I'm so confused.

The longue isn't a marketplace, with a specific focus. Its general discussion. Comparing it to a place to post want/sale adds is silly.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 31, 2005, 12:02 AM

The longue isn't a marketplace, with a specific focus. Its general discussion. Comparing it to a place to post want/sale adds is silly.
I never understood that before. Thanks for the insight.

Anyways, as Scott has said, there's no reason to limit what can and cannot be posted in the Marketplace. The amount of traffic that we get for "general" items is negligible, and if you aren't interested in the item (which is in the thread title), there's no reason you have to look at the thread.

robo74  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2005, 07:11 AM

Hmmmm.... I guess if thats the rules, I should start digging around for useless things to sell then here on macnnbay.

Rob

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2005, 07:47 AM

Originally posted by robo74:
Hmmmm.... I guess if thats the rules, I should start digging around for useless things to sell then here on macnnbay.
That's what we don't need.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2005, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
That's what we don't need.
Exactly! That's my point. I have used common sense in that this is a Mac forum. As I have no Mac items for sale, I haven't posted them. Since it has been made clear that they don't care what you sell, I may as well post all my junk as well. After all, that's what the market place is for, right? Getting rid of any old junk you may have laying around the house. I wonder if anyone is interested in an old humidor that can't maintain humidity?

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 31, 2005, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by Mrjinglesusa:
Exactly! That's my point. I have used common sense in that this is a Mac forum. As I have no Mac items for sale, I haven't posted them. Since it has been made clear that they don't care what you sell, I may as well post all my junk as well. After all, that's what the market place is for, right? Getting rid of any old junk you may have laying around the house. I wonder if anyone is interested in an old humidor that can't maintain humidity?
No, that's called being a jerk. Now, if you had a ton of books you don't want anymore that are just sitting in boxes, you could post those for sale. Oh no, they aren't a Mac item. Come to think of it, neither are DVDs or music CDs. Use some common sense.

The Lounge is for general non Mac discussion, the Marketplace is for the users of this forum to sell items that may be of use to others on the forum.

If you have items for sale, and post them within the guidelines of the Marketplace, you are welcome to.
My website

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2005, 11:15 AM

I could see leeway over electronics, monitors, pdas, HDs, etc.

But not run-of-the-mill junk. And not crappy parts for a car. That's what ebay is for.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2005, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
I could see leeway over electronics, monitors, pdas, HDs, etc.

But not run-of-the-mill junk. And not crappy parts for a car. That's what ebay is for.
I completely agree Randman but apparently, this is falling on deaf ears. I give up...

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2005, 02:03 PM

No, that's called being a jerk. Now, if you had a ton of books you don't want anymore that are just sitting in boxes, you could post those for sale. Oh no, they aren't a Mac item. Come to think of it, neither are DVDs or music CDs. Use some common sense.

The Lounge is for general non Mac discussion, the Marketplace is for the users of this forum to sell items that may be of use to others on the forum.

If you have items for sale, and post them within the guidelines of the Marketplace, you are welcome to.
Why is that being a jerk? It's a general item well within the guidelines of the Marketplace. It doesn't say the items have to be good quality or even working. If it's not an electronic device or Mac-related (as Randman stated) it belongs on EBay, not MacNN. I'm officially done with this. Off to sell some stuff on EBay where they belong - I don't want to waste space in the Marketplace with stuff that shouldn't be there.

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 31, 2005, 07:58 PM

If you're going to find stuff to post FS threads for in the Marketplace with to "clog" the forum, then you're being a jerk. Otherwise, I still don't see a reason to allow any general items in the Marketplace.

Enjoy paying the fees for selling stuff on eBay.

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 31, 2005, 08:03 PM

Also, if you take a look at some other web-bases forums (two that are MUCH larger than us), you can see that their classifieds also accept "general" items, and not just the types of items that the forum is about (ie computer-related for Ars, car related for VWVortex).

VWVortex
Arstechnica

Why should we be any different?

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2005, 08:25 PM

Also, if you take a look at some other web-bases forums (two that are MUCH larger than us), you can see that their classifieds also accept "general" items, and not just the types of items that the forum is about (ie computer-related for Ars, car related for VWVortex).

VWVortex
Arstechnica

Why should we be any different?
Becuse we're better,sparky. That's the point. We come to these forums to avoid crap like that.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 31, 2005, 09:40 PM

Becuse we're better,sparky. That's the point. We come to these forums to avoid crap like that.
That doesn't make any sense.

If you want to avoid general items in the Marketplace, don't click on the links that have general items in their title! It really is that easy.

robo74isdumb
Banned
Location: Complaining about an auction that has over 17000 hits
Feb 1, 2005, 12:34 PM

That doesn't make any sense.

If you want to avoid general items in the Marketplace, don't click on the links that have general items in their title! It really is that easy.
Since Robo74 is too dumb to understand, I'll spell it out for him.

You're a moron! Don't click on the god damn link if you aren't interested in it! This place has been around a long time functioning just fine without you! If you don't like it, LEAVE IDIOT!

PS: My auction now has 17,000 hits. You know, the one you complained about calling lame and whatnot? So either you're a ****ing tool, or the 17,000 people who viewed it and sent me hundreds of great emails are. Seeing as how it's 17,000 vs 1, I'm pretty sure you're the dumbass. Have a nice day!

robo74isdumb
Banned
Location: Complaining about an auction that has over 17000 hits
Feb 1, 2005, 12:37 PM

No, WE don't. The MacNN forums is a community of vastly different people tied together by at least an interest in macs. Seeing as how we are a community, sometimes it's good to keep transactions within the community, as in, if I had a free snowblower I'd much rather post it here than somewhere else. The marketplace is for general ****ing items. If that's too much for you, don't click on the god damn link. If you can't handle that, please shoot yourself in the face because you have no hope of leading a happy life.

"AHHH there's total crap on TV tonight!"

"Then turn off the TV...."

"I CANT! I'm MacGorilla and even if I don't like something part of my brain forces me to watch it! Nyar!"

- Ca$h

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2005, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by robo74isdumb:
No, WE don't. The MacNN forums is a community of vastly different people tied together by at least an interest in macs. Seeing as how we are a community, sometimes it's good to keep transactions within the community, as in, if I had a free snowblower I'd much rather post it here than somewhere else. The marketplace is for general ****ing items. If that's too much for you, don't click on the god damn link. If you can't handle that, please shoot yourself in the face because you have no hope of leading a happy life.

"AHHH there's total crap on TV tonight!"

"Then turn off the TV...."

"I CANT! I'm MacGorilla and even if I don't like something part of my brain forces me to watch it! Nyar!"

- Ca$h

Shut up, you little ****.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Feb 1, 2005, 09:50 PM

Funny thing about the "general items" bit is that when I posted an ad wanting to trade some 30 year old Jello for some Hai Karate (it was for a short film project), the thread was locked with a note that I had to explain the legitamacy of my ad to have it unlocked. Clearly "general items" are only allowed with the mods approval. Maybe it's time to cut the crap and either allow all items (yup, even if someone wants to sell a used fleshlight) or make it Mac only.
"Why did this thread cross the line? Because its **** got stuck in a chicken." - Demonhood

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 1, 2005, 11:23 PM

Originally posted by Dr. Wahnsinn:
Funny thing about the "general items" bit is that when I posted an ad wanting to trade some 30 year old Jello for some Hai Karate (it was for a short film project), the thread was locked with a note that I had to explain the legitamacy of my ad to have it unlocked. Clearly "general items" are only allowed with the mods approval. Maybe it's time to cut the crap and either allow all items (yup, even if someone wants to sell a used fleshlight) or make it Mac only.
I closed that thread (and soon thereafter re-opened it, FWIW) because it sounded like a joke, and more suited to the Lounge. Also, it was also posted in October of 2003, and we didn't have the current "rules" that we have in the Marketplace.

"I'd like to buy a bottle of Hai Karate. Bottle must be at least one-third full and have the original box. Will consider trade for 32 year old sealed box of Jello banana creme pudding."

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Feb 2, 2005, 01:18 AM

I closed that thread (and soon thereafter re-opened it, FWIW) because it sounded like a joke, and more suited to the Lounge. Also, it was also posted in October of 2003, and we didn't have the current "rules" that we have in the Marketplace.
Why on Earth would I post a buy/sell/trade ad in the Lounge? Had I posted there it most certainly would have moved to the Marketplace, probably with a note not to post such things in the Lounge. I assure you, for the sake of exposure, I would rather have posted in the Lounge, but that's not what the Lounge is for.

Marketplace rules? The Marketplace at that time was most certainly open to either "general" or "Miscellaneous" items - otherwise I would not have posted for the Hai Karate.
"Why did this thread cross the line? Because its **** got stuck in a chicken." - Demonhood

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 2, 2005, 01:21 AM

Why on Earth would I post a buy/sell/trade ad in the Lounge? Had I posted there it most certainly would have moved to the Marketplace, probably with a note not to post such things in the Lounge. I assure you, for the sake of exposure, I would rather have posted in the Lounge, but that's not what the Lounge is for.

Marketplace rules? The Marketplace at that time was most certainly open to either "general" or "Miscellaneous" items - otherwise I would not have posted for the Hai Karate.
You survived. Get over it. See rule #11.
My website

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Feb 2, 2005, 01:53 AM

Care to point out your "Rule #11"? EDIT: Found it.

�11) Moderators reserve the right to close or remove a thread or post at their discression. Threads that appear out of the ordinary may be locked pending verification from the original poster�

Yes, and this is new. I don't believe it was in effect a year and a half ago.

By the way, I'm over it. I posted my opinion in a thread about...(drum roll)...Marketpalce posts. Tell me, why are YOU so defensive about it?
( Last edited by Doc Juansinn; Feb 2, 2005 at 02:02 AM. )

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2005, 03:29 AM

Originally posted by robo74isdumb:
The marketplace is for general ****ing items. If that's too much for you, don't click on the god damn link. If you can't handle that, please shoot yourself in the face because you have no hope of leading a happy life.

- Ca$h

I agree the content of your thread was legitimate but you didn't phrase the thread title in such a way that it told people browsing the forum what it was you were selling. That should have been enough to have it locked. Then you made it worse by linking to the sale of a laptop that was being offered up with software that you did not intend to sell with the original media and license. Not only that is against MacNN rules but it illegal which is why your auction was closed by ebay.

So if you are going to come whine that you were wronged because the stipulations the Marketplace forum allow your auction you should at least been consistent and pointed out that you screwed up at the very start.

You're lucky no one is smart enough to make a couple fake eBay accounts and drive up your price to the hundreds of dollars just to stick you with the fees for a few weeks before they get reversed. That would be funny.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

benb
Feb 2, 2005, 10:34 PM

Are you serious? I saw that post and laughed. It sounded like a joke. 32 year old sealed Jello Banana Creme Pudding? Why would anyone here want to trade half a bottle of cologne for it. Seriously man, use your head before you whine about that being locked up.

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Feb 3, 2005, 12:58 AM

Originally posted by benb:
Are you serious? I saw that post and laughed. It sounded like a joke. 32 year old sealed Jello Banana Creme Pudding? Why would anyone here want to trade half a bottle of cologne for it. Seriously man, use your head before you whine about that being locked up.
If it weren't serious, I wouldn't have posted it. I use my head much more than some others (you included!). 30 year old Jello for 30 year aftershave is a fair trade for someone who's interested.

Now tell me, benny, where do see that I was "whining' about it? Pointing out that an old thread had been locked is hardly "whining". Your post certainly does fall into the catagory of whining. (In my experience, those who complain the most about others whining are the ones who usually do the most whining)

In case you can't understand what the original direction of this thread was, it was about what is acceptable as a "general item". It wasn't about jumping it to attack someone who pointed out a fact, but if that makes you feel like a man - then go for it. It might work someday.

To quote (probably to his dismay) Scotttheking:
�My suggestion to you: If you see a thread and don't like it, don't read it. If a thread becomes a problem, there's a report abuse link. The moderators will handle it.
It makes no sense to me why you are so against having other items for sale, just because you might not be interested in them.�

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 3, 2005, 01:28 AM

To quote (probably to his dismay) Scotttheking:
�My suggestion to you: If you see a thread and don't like it, don't read it. If a thread becomes a problem, there's a report abuse link. The moderators will handle it.
It makes no sense to me why you are so against having other items for sale, just because you might not be interested in them.�
Why is that to my dismay? I guess I've been up for too many hours to get it.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2005, 10:51 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Scotttheking:
[B]Why is that to my

That's the problem: none of the Moderators get it.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Captain Egotist
Banned
Feb 3, 2005, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
I agree the content of your thread was legitimate but you didn't phrase the thread title in such a way that it told people browsing the forum what it was you were selling. That should have been enough to have it locked. Then you made it worse by linking to the sale of a laptop that was being offered up with software that you did not intend to sell with the original media and license. Not only that is against MacNN rules but it illegal which is why your auction was closed by ebay.
WOW! Good job old chap! I thought you above such things such as spending your time reporting someone's auction to ebay for such minor violations, but good show! You sure showed him how much better you are! In fact, you've showed all of us! Well, excluding me, I'm better than you. Did you know that I lived where you live now, and it was okay, but honestly it's quite boring. I now live someplace much better. What's that? Oh nevermind, it doesn't really matter what you say! I've done that also! And better than you could ever hope to do it!

Huzzzaah yay for being better than everyone!

Captain Egotist
Banned
Feb 3, 2005, 12:08 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MacGorilla:
[B]
Why is that to my

Actually I don't think you get it, chump. Isn't there some shitty TV programming on that you're forced to watch because of your inability to chang ehte ****ing channel?

www.oldergalswithleather.com
www.goatswithgirls.com
www.deadbabieswithwhippedcream.com

Let me guess, you clicked on all those... why? Because you're too ****ing stupid not to.

I shall begin your training young jedi! I shall post links to things that you don't want to see or lack any interest in, and I want you to use the force and focus! Focus on NOT clicking on them! I know it will seem almost impossible, but TRUST ME! You are the one! You must use the force to avoid clicking on the following links!

A MacNN moderator calling MacGorilla a complete dumbass for failing to understand the marketplace rules
The calculated frontal area of the new beetle determines it's top speed with a given horsepower
Captain Obvious is better than everyone @ MacNN! If you disagree, here's proof!

Now you should not have clicked any of those links. In time, you should be able to hone your skill to skip topics that you have no interest in on MacNN. Do or do not, there is no try.

- CaptainEgotist

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 3, 2005, 12:12 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MacGorilla:
[B]
Why is that to my

Care to explain?

Captain Egotist
Banned
Feb 3, 2005, 12:19 PM

Care to explain?
I'll explain for him: He feels differently than you. He feels he is right. He feels that since he lacks the ability to avoid clicking on something, we should take care of him like a little baby and protect him from clicking on things that don't interest him. We should ignore the hundreds of transactions and people who are interested in things other than macs, we should cater specifically to him.

- CaptainBetterthanallofyou

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2005, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by Captain Egotist:
I'll explain for him: He feels differently than you. He feels he is right. He feels that since he lacks the ability to avoid clicking on something, we should take care of him like a little baby and protect him from clicking on things that don't interest him. We should ignore the hundreds of transactions and people who are interested in things other than macs, we should cater specifically to him.

- CaptainBetterthanallofyou
Not true, read the entire thread and understand, young grasshopper.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Forum Links
Forum Rules