Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New powerbooks : feedback about ports on the sides?

New powerbooks : feedback about ports on the sides?
chu-ka-pi
Nov 8, 2003, 07:03 AM

Hi all!

Since it looks more and more likely that the Powerbooks G5 won't be out before a very looong moment, I'm considering switching from my current Ti867 to the next PbG4 update. (probably for nex spring...)

I really like the design of the new books... But since I leave mine on my desk like 90% of the time, the ports on the side look to m y as a real step back.

I have not been following theses forums for a little while, so maybe this "issue" has been discussed extensively.

However, could some Powerbook owners using their computer exclusively on a desktop comment on how bad it is to have all the ports on the sides?

If it'll really get messy on my desk, maybe I'll just wait for a PbG5... (Yeah, i know this is stupid since they will probably sport all the ports on the sides, but at least, I'd had kept my desk clean for some more time :-)

Thanks a lot,

CKP

registar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2003, 07:50 AM

There is a series of apapters that some company makes that is made to fit right on the side of PowerBooks. It effectively moves all of the connectors to the back. I saw it in the November 2003 issue of MacWorld (in a sidebar to the article about the new PowerBooks). I don't have my magazine with me right now so I can't tell you the exact name of the product, maybe someone else can. I seem to remember that it was surprisingly inexpensive. A very good idea none-the-less.

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2003, 08:37 AM

I have had both Tibooks and now the 17" - adapters suck no matter where they are - this is why Airport and Bluetooth are so nice! In the back they get in the way when you are working with the box on your lap. On the side they look bad when working from a desk. Overall, I like them on the side more because truth is when it is sitting on a desk it really doesn't matter but on the lap it does. But, wireless is best!

carnagex2000
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2003, 10:52 AM

you can always get powerbook bookendz if you want a nicer look, and the cords would be in the back not the side then.

http://lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com/...2sideangle.jpg
Powerbook 12" 640MB 60GB AirportExteme Canon 10D and my good looks 8^D

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2003, 11:23 AM

Those are only for the 12". The larger PowerBooks have ports on both sides so it's impossible to make a BookEndz dock for them.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Ryan1524
Senior User
Nov 8, 2003, 04:42 PM

of course you can, but it'll either be a wide platform that slides onto both sides (like a clamp) or a two-piece dock.
Ryan

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2003, 05:32 PM

I guess you're right... I'm just wondering how convenient it would be to have to use two pieces, whether they're joined or not. Those docks are designed for convenience, so if they're not convenient there's no reason to buy them.

I thought they were worthless, basically, until I saw the one for the 12" PowerBook. That is nice - it doesn't just provide all the ports, it puts them on the back (reduce clutter) and integrates a VGA adapter. I could see a clamp-style one for the larger PowerBooks, with the cables for the right-side ports going through the bridge area, therefore putting all the ports on the left side (or vice versa).

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 8, 2003, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by carnagex2000:
you can always get powerbook bookendz if you want a nicer look, and the cords would be in the back not the side then.

http://lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com/...2sideangle.jpg
Those are only for the january 2003 powerbooks. There are currently no bookendz for the new september powerbooks.

registar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2003, 03:03 PM

Yeah, the BookEndz dock by Photo Control is what I was referring to in my previous post. As some already mentioned, it's only available for the 12 inch Rev-A PowerBook at this time. According to the MacWorld article the MSRP is $179. Here is the manufacturer’s website. http://www.bookendzdocks.com/bookendz/index.htm

Seems to me that to reduce cable clutter, Airport is the way to go for an internet connection, and Bluetooth for things like a mouse, keyboard, PDA or cell-phone; but with limitations on speed of 54Mb/s for Airport and from 200 to 500 kbps for Bluetooth (with a typical PowerBook to a PDA (Palm) Bluetooth connection), it’s not going to be the answer for people who rely on their USB 2.0 or FireWire 400 ports – not to mention FireWire 800!

Hopefully, Photo Control comes out with new models for the new PowerBooks soon. There seems to be a demand for these things from some users who feel money is not as important as functionality. For instance if you were to take your PB home from the office, all you would do is disconnect and go.

As far as designing a dock for the PowerBooks with ports on both sides, Photo Control already did something similar for the 15 inch Titaniums www.bookendzdocks.com/bookendz/g4tspec.htm . They’d just have to engineer something similar with side panels to connect to the ports of the PB and a latch that would cause the side panels to slide out and disconnect from the ports.

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Nov 9, 2003, 08:41 PM

I HATE the ports being on the sides - if I have something plugged into my firewire port for instance the damn cable is in the way of my hand/mouse.

Forum Links
Forum Rules