Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Trackpad settings not sticking?

Trackpad settings not sticking?
uv23
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2003, 05:41 PM

I noticed this today (with a few other Panther weirdnesses). Thought I'd post it here since it's notebook-specific. I find that no matter how many times I adjust my trackpad speed in Mouse/Kyeboard settings, it has reverted the next time I go into it again. This is with Panther, which came installed on my 12" 1GHz PB.

registar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2003, 09:33 PM

Hasn't happened to me. A month ago, I set my track pad to my liking and it hasn't changed once.

By the way, in case your wondering, I left nothing at default, so it definitely is keeping the settings:

Tracking speed is maxed,
Double-click is the second notch from max, and "Use Trackpad for:" I have everything checked.

I actually enjoy the trackpad; but still prefer my using MX-500 mouse (except for the cord of course).

uv23  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2003, 09:37 PM

Yeah it's weird. If I put it on max, it stays. But if I put it one notch to the right of center it reverts.

lokjah
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2003, 09:39 PM

im curious if they fixed the disable trackpad feature finally?

i have a ghz tibook and i also use a logitech mx, so annoying to not be able to disable it..

l�k
iron sharpens iron

registar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2003, 09:40 PM

I should also mention that I too am using a 12" 1MHz PowerBook that came with Panther installed.

However, I did reinstall Panther from the included DVD shortly after I got the computer. What happened was I disconnected a USB cable from a digital still camera without first "ejecting" it. After that I had a few weird things going on; hence the reinstall.

registar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2003, 09:47 PM

I'll try the "one notch to the right of center" setting and see what happens (without my mouse connected).

Disable works perfect for me. I have it set to ignore trackpad when the mouse is present.

registar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2003, 09:58 PM

You're right uv23! Mine does it too. So weird. Like you say, if I set it to one notch right of center, everytime I go back into the settings it's moved back to the center. Good thing I liked it maxed!

uv23  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2003, 10:13 PM

Woohoo I'm not insane! I posted it to Apple as a bug. That's like my 6th or 7th bug report since switching. Fortunately, they're all pretty minor, although one required a restart in order to eject the CD.

Edit: I've discovered that this behaviour exists throughout the mouse/keyboard settings. Try it with scroll speed on the mouse tab and it'll do the same thing unless you move it over more than one notch, in which case it reverts to one notch to the right of center. Interesting.
( Last edited by uv23; Dec 10, 2003 at 10:19 PM. )

registar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2003, 10:18 PM

They should do the same thing that they do with comets and name the bug after the first person to report it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules