Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Toast Titanium 8 has been announced. TiVoToGo to iPod, & Blu-ray support. (Pics)

Toast Titanium 8 has been announced. TiVoToGo to iPod, & Blu-ray support. (Pics)
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 8, 2007, 10:53 AM

Toast® 8 Titanium

* Take your favorite TV shows to go, with easy TiVoToGo™ transfers
* Blu-ray Disc Support: Burn up to 50 GB - 12,500 music tracks, or 50,000 photos, or 4 hours of raw HD video.
* Restore and recover files from scratched or damaged discs while copying.
* Create DJ-style audio CDs with the same pro-quality audio features previously found in Roxio Jam™.

Roxio Toast® 8 sets the standard for burning CDs, DVDs, and now Blu-ray discs on the Mac. Create superior sounding audio CDs with crossfades. Enjoy your TV shows anywhere with exclusive EyeTV burning and TiVoToGo™ transfers to DVD or iPod®. Copy your audio CDs, movies and DVDs. It's your digital life, Toast It!

So far I'm thinking it's more like a Toast 7.5 + TiVo + Blu-ray. Not a must have if you're already on on 7 and don't have a TiVo or Blu-ray, but some nice features nonetheless.

I suspect we'll see Blu-ray endowed pro Macs very soon though. (Tomorrow at Macworld?)

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2007, 11:05 AM

Has anybody bought this program? If so do you think it is worth $79.99? <snip>
( Last edited by Peter; Jan 8, 2007 at 07:30 PM. Reason: No Warez! Period.)
 16 GB 2nd Generation Black iPod Touch w/Contour Showcase
 White Core 2 Duo Macbook with: 2.0 GHz/1 GB Ram/80 GB Hard Drive

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2007, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by frankthetank966 View Post
Has anybody bought this program? <SNIP>
Uh, are you looking to get banned?
( Last edited by Peter; Jan 8, 2007 at 07:30 PM. Reason: removing warez discussions)

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2007, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Uh, are you looking to get banned?
haha, no i didn't think you could get banned for essentially asking if you could download it through P2P or on a site but okay.

Douglashh
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2007, 12:44 PM

Anyone found the upgrade price yet. Seems that they are offering a $20 rebate to everyone so what about loyal Toast 7 owners.

Madrag
Senior User
Jan 8, 2007, 12:51 PM

does that picture mean that now there's a "drag and drop" form of recording the files?

eminton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2007, 01:07 PM

i got toast 7 for christmas and now they just come out with 8. im always late for new stuff just like how i got the last rev. of the powerbook G4's. i thinkn they should give us toast 7 users and upgrade price but 8 isnt that big of an upgrade for people who dont need that stuff.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2007, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Madrag View Post
does that picture mean that now there's a "drag and drop" form of recording the files?
Yeah, apparently it turns the Blu-ray disc into a sort of backup hard drive, sort of like how DVD-RAM works now on OS X.

Madrag
Senior User
Jan 8, 2007, 02:31 PM

I just visited Roxio's site, and it now includes a disk catalog, much like this app

a part from that, I see a major design change let's see if this design is good after using it for a while

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2007, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker View Post
So far I'm thinking it's more like a Toast 7.5 + TiVo + Blu-ray. Not a must have if you're already on on 7 and don't have a TiVo or Blu-ray, but some nice features nonetheless.

I suspect we'll see Blu-ray endowed pro Macs very soon though. (Tomorrow at Macworld?)
Well honestly what else could they possibly change to warrant a full 1. upgrade in your opinion?

Toast has always been a great app and I am never disappointed with the feature upgrades.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2007, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Well honestly what else could they possibly change to warrant a full 1. upgrade in your opinion?

Toast has always been a great app and I am never disappointed with the feature upgrades.
I guess I worded it poorly. I think it does warrant the Toast 8 name, with TiVoToGo and Blu-ray support. However, without those it might not be, and hence those who need neither TiVoToGo or Blu support may not feel compelled to upgrade.

OreoCookie
Jan 8, 2007, 05:01 PM

haha, no i didn't think you could get banned for essentially asking if you could download it through P2P or on a site but okay.
Then I hope you don't put this to the test.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2007, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker View Post
I guess I worded it poorly. I think it does warrant the Toast 8 name, with TiVoToGo and Blu-ray support. However, without those it might not be, and hence those who need neither TiVoToGo or Blu support may not feel compelled to upgrade.
true enough but honestly what else can they do in terms of CD burning? Toast 5 burnt CD's so if that is all you need you can stick with it.

The only thing they can do with new versions is add new features to attract new people who want those features.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2007, 07:31 PM

wanna bet?

no more mentions of piracy, ta.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2007, 08:11 PM

Review (French. English version coming.)

I guess Toast adds a packet-writing extension for Blu-ray. I wonder if the discs work in any other machine.

The GUI is totally different:

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2007, 08:35 PM

A big kudos to Roxio for a nice interface and a good looking app.

A big F. U. to TiVo for making a $99 app the only legal way to get TiVo shows off the unit. Meanwhile PC users get this functionality for free (though they do pay for the privilege of burning them to DVD via Sonic, a Roxio product of course).

Not saying I would (cough, TiVoDecodeManager, cough), but I can see this being an incentive for people to use illegal hacks to circumvent the TiVo DRM rather than doing it above-board via a TiVo approved method.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2007, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Douglashh View Post
Anyone found the upgrade price yet. Seems that they are offering a $20 rebate to everyone so what about loyal Toast 7 owners.
$59.99 at the Roxio website.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2007, 08:41 PM

Does anyone know how the Tivo 2 go works? can we record clips from tivo onto the HD or just download clips from tivo and go straight to DVD?

Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2007, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Does anyone know how the Tivo 2 go works? can we record clips from tivo onto the HD or just download clips from tivo and go straight to DVD?

Mike
The file is downloaded to your HD as a .tivo file. This is an encrypted MPEG2 video file straight off the TiVo.

You can then use the included Toast 8 TiVo viewer to watch the show on your Mac (has a "remote control" similar to the DVD Player app's remote), or you can burn to DVD or send to iPod, iTunes or PSP. The iPod and iTunes files can be played by any app that supports Quicktime, but there is no option to export to .mov, .avi, divx or other formats. Also, [/i]TiVo, Inc. restricts non-DVD exports (i.e., iPod and PSP) to 320x240 resolution.[/i] The PC versions are also limited to this, IIRC. Burns on to DVD will be at NTSC full-screen 4:3 equivalent resolution (somewhere around 540x400 or so).

The nice thing about Toast 8 is that it will make a multi-show DVD for you with menus, chapters, etc., like iDVD does.

There are applications floating around the net that will decode/convert .tivo files without Toast 8, but be aware they do violate the DMCA, for what its worth.

TiVoDecodeManager will simultaneously download a show from your TiVo and re-encode it as an MPEG4 at any resolution you choose - not limited to the 320x240 TiVo, Inc. restriction. But, if you care, this also violates the DMCA.

Edit: Oh, forgot... shows added to iTunes are viewable via Front Row.
( Last edited by Cadaver; Jan 8, 2007 at 10:53 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2007, 11:12 PM

I'm using it right now. Works great.

As for watching stuff on your computer, I think TiVo will likely continue to allow people to use TiVoDecode for free, though I could be wrong.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2007, 12:59 AM

a week ago when toast 7 was king i believe you could still buy toast 5 or 6. now that we have toast 8 i can't find toast 5, 6, or 7. maybe i'm just missing it.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2007, 01:09 AM

Toast 8's Video_TS to h.264 encoder is slow. Its either single-threaded or single-processor aware. Pegs one of my processor cores to 100%, leaves the other three idle.

Edit: Pass one of a multipass encode was single-threaded. Pass two seems to be multi-threaded, as now all 4 cores are at about 85%.

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2007, 09:39 AM

it looks amazing I can't wait till i get this.

p.s. does the new one also decrypt dvd's?

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2007, 10:19 AM

it looks amazing I can't wait till i get this.

p.s. does the new one also decrypt dvd's?
absolutely! you just insert any copywrited dvd, click the bootleg button, and wait for it to prompt you to insert a blank dvd. one click operation. while it's burning it will also change the color of the bottom of the dvd to silver just like the original.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2007, 06:31 PM

If you own Toast 7 and want to upgrade, then go to the update section on Roxio's site and select the Upgrade Center link. You will then see a link to upgrade to Toast 8 for $59.99.

Add it to your shopping cart and then let the shopping cart page sit for a little while (do not check out yet).

After a few moments, a pop-up window will appear on the page that says something along the lines of "undecided, purchase now and get an additional 10% off".

Click OK on the pop-up window and the shopping cart will then update with the additional 10% discount. Net cost $53.99.

(Thanks to Fribhey who posted this at MacUpdate.)

I just completed the above process. It worked as advertised and Toast 8 seems fine, but it is still a bit early to know for sure if/what gremlins lurk.

The above is for the DL version only. Of course, you can then burn the DL to a CD.

Also, you do not get the paper booklet, though there is a 138 page (electronic) User Guide.

FWIW, Toast 7.x is left in place.
( Last edited by pendragon; Jan 9, 2007 at 06:41 PM. )
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2007, 06:43 PM

I wonder if the much-touted integration with EyeTV actually works this time? Most recordings in 7 ended up with out of sync sound when burned to DVD grrrrr

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2007, 01:18 AM

lil' mini review:

Works as advertised.

Stretches the TiVo's 480x480 into DVD spec 720x480 without reencoding!

This is good, since the built-in encoder

SUCKS

Edit: Actually, it doesn't bump the resolution. I misread the log from ffmpeg.
( Last edited by subego; Jan 18, 2007 at 10:46 PM. )

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 11:43 AM

So far it is pretty impressive as the app LOOKS like it is using core animation even though it obviously isn't yet.

These apps with fluid transition are a new dawn of software and very welcome.

Also it only has Blu-Ray and no HD-DVD support so that might be a clue as to what Apple will offer in the near future.

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2007, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by gooser View Post
absolutely! you just insert any copywrited dvd, click the bootleg button, and wait for it to prompt you to insert a blank dvd. one click operation. while it's burning it will also change the color of the bottom of the dvd to silver just like the original.
huh?

JellyBeen
Senior User
Jan 10, 2007, 05:43 PM

huh?
I know, its not nice but he's making fun of you.

If you want to decrypt a DVD that you OWN for back-up purposes only, do a search in google for Mactheripper.
MTR will decrypt your DVD for you.
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2007, 06:16 AM

Command+B = Erase RW media, keys Q+E used to select quick erase and erase respectively, version 8 no longer executes these commands from these keys...great.

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2007, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by JellyBeen View Post
I know, its not nice but he's making fun of you.

If you want to decrypt a DVD that you OWN for back-up purposes only, do a search in google for Mactheripper.
MTR will decrypt your DVD for you.
I realized he was making fun of me. But I don't think it was to humorous because anybody who is dumb enough to blv that wouldn't be one these forums. Anyways I want to make exact copies of DVD's and MTR only decrypts the dvd. It does not burn a copy for you.

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2007, 11:19 AM

Guys I found a sick price for Toast 7 ($19.99) should I get that or should I save up and get Toast 8?

JellyBeen
Senior User
Jan 11, 2007, 12:23 PM

I realized he was making fun of me. But I don't think it was to humorous because anybody who is dumb enough to blv that wouldn't be one these forums. Anyways I want to make exact copies of DVD's and MTR only decrypts the dvd. It does not burn a copy for you.
How about OSX? Did you forget that the Finder can burn too?
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2007, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by JellyBeen View Post
How about OSX? Did you forget that the Finder can burn too?
You have to turn the decrypted DVD into a disk image (.img), and then you can burn away with Disk Utility.

ffmpegx can do this. It's in the "tools" pane. You point it at a folder that has an AUDIO_TS and a VIDEO_TS folder and it turns it into an .img.

There are a few stand alone apps as well.
( Last edited by subego; Jan 11, 2007 at 07:03 PM. )

hldan
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2007, 12:09 AM

I was at Macworld today and bought Elgato's EyeTV Hybrid. This device literally replaces any Tivo or ReplayTV set top box. During the week of Macworld it's only $99.00 U.S. Reguarly $149.00 U.S. It's only a USB 2.0 plug with a coax at the end. It comes complete with the software to download free content just like the Tivo but no subscription fee for the U.S. at least. It uses your Mac to decode the HD content and works beautifully. Toast 8 is the companion for it to record to DVD.
It's so cool, one less set top box in my way. I paid $300.00 U.S. for my lifetime subscription to ReplayTV.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2007, 12:13 PM

For those of you who have Toast 8, are you finding it incredibly buggy?

Lots of visual glitches and when I try saving a DVD as a disk image it gives me a Mac OS error 54 or something.,

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2007, 06:19 PM

Guys I found a sick price for Toast 7 ($19.99) should I get that or should I save up and get Toast 8?
If you have no use for Blu-ray burning or TiVo support, they get Toast 7. $20 is a great price.

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2007, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
If you have no use for Blu-ray burning or TiVo support, they get Toast 7. $20 is a great price.
I do not have any need for Blu-Ray. So I will go after Toast 7. I have heard it is also less buggy.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2007, 07:51 PM

Lots of visual glitches and when I try saving a DVD as a disk image it gives me a Mac OS error 54 or something.,
No problems here on a G4 Powerbook, beyond the itinerant visual glitches you mention.

I've burnt a few disk images already.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2007, 08:36 PM

It looks good.

I bought Toast 6 a while ago, but Roxio charge too much for upgrades for me to feel like a valued customer. In my opinion upgrades should carry significant discounts compared to the full cost, but this doesn't seem to be Roxio's policy.

I voted "no to upgrades" with my wallet some time ago.

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2007, 06:42 AM

Well done Roxio. Toast 8, like Toast 7 in all it's versions, still makes DVDs from EyeTV content with sound slightly out of sync with the video. Unbelievable. Looks like I'll be using Toast 6 for DVDs for ever at this rate. I'm staggered they still can't get this right, especially as they pimp the EyeTV integration so much. But hey, having animation in the interface is much more important o_O

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2007, 06:44 AM

I got to 54% (about 90 minutes) of encoding the Apple keynte podcast when it unexpectedly quit. Nice one!

ccwillows
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2007, 09:11 AM

Where did you find that price?

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2007, 06:17 PM

In the UK the upgrade was £29.99, not bad as they'd not done an upgrade before. Shame it doesn't work properly!

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2007, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by ccwillows View Post
Where did you find that price?
But then you would need to do the $59.99 upgrade which defeats the $20 savings for the upgrade.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2007, 11:56 PM

Some said if you get it from Buy.com with GoogleCheckout, it will know the price down to under $40.

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2007, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
Some said if you get it from Buy.com with GoogleCheckout, it will know the price down to under $40.
Which one?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2007, 01:16 AM

LOL, you're cute.

MacNN is MacNN, you have no rights here. You are member-at-will

-t

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2007, 05:46 AM

Membership is a privilege, not a right. *is reminded of those speeches "grown-ups" always used to give you*

So if you don't have Tivo or Blu-ray, I guess this is a pointless upgrade. I'm OK with that. The new interface look is interesting... did anyone else think "Leopard" when they saw it?
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Forum Links
Forum Rules