Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Pro with vista

Mac Pro with vista
gpro
Feb 18, 2007, 05:04 PM

Would a mac pro work perfectly with vista? would it over heat if useing it all the time? and if been used for gaming

MM-o4
Senior User
Feb 18, 2007, 06:19 PM

why would it over heat using vista? I know your new, so cool. But a little common sense.

havn't u seen the postings of Microsoft in europe demoing vista on a iMac?

Microsoft demoes Vista... on an iMac - Engadget

pretty funny really.

So yeah on any intel Mac you can run it using bootcamp.

-MM-

gpro  (op)
Feb 18, 2007, 06:24 PM

Is not really silly because i installed windows xp on my freinds macbook pro ICD and all the fans go on loud. and it does feel very hot and i have read in some reviews it does overheat but i guess thats a laptop not a desktop

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2007, 07:18 PM

the first core duos were hot all the time, new ones are nice.

arng1
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2007, 08:12 PM

Yes it works fine. I have Vista running on my Mac Pro and generally speaking it works as its supposed to. I only use it for gaming but i found out on another thread that home premium and home basic will only recognize one cpu, if I knew that sooner I would have went with ultimate.

gpro  (op)
Feb 18, 2007, 08:24 PM

so you mean if i get home premium or basic it would only work with dual core? not quad core? i might get business. I just ordered my mac pro bout 10 minutes ago!! I can't wait

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2007, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by gpro View Post
so you mean if i get home premium or basic it would only work with dual core? not quad core? i might get business. I just ordered my mac pro bout 10 minutes ago!! I can't wait
No I think he was saying that vista home will only work with a single cpu.

I'm running Vista business on my macpro and it recognizes all 4 cpus but I have no idea if home will work with all 4 or just 1. If memory serves me I believe XP home also worked this way also.
Michael

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2007, 08:52 PM

I think he was saying Home Basic will only recognize 1 CPU with 2 cores. The Mac Pro has 2 CPUs with 2 cores. I know Ultimate works with all of them, I suspect Business would, and I don't know about Home Premium.

Other than that, no major issues with Vista on the Mac Pro.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2007, 10:00 PM

I'm using Vista 32-bit Ultimate on my Mac Pro constantly. Works just great. In fact, Windows gives it a performance rating of 5.8 (the highest score any machine can get presently is 5.9).

arng1
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2007, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Apfhex View Post
I think he was saying Home Basic will only recognize 1 CPU with 2 cores. The Mac Pro has 2 CPUs with 2 cores. I know Ultimate works with all of them, I suspect Business would, and I don't know about Home Premium.

Other than that, no major issues with Vista on the Mac Pro.
yes that is what i meant, sorry i wasnt more clear about it. I have Home Premium on my Mac Pro and it only recognizes 1 cpu/2 cores

MM-o4
Senior User
Feb 19, 2007, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
I'm using Vista 32-bit Ultimate on my Mac Pro constantly. Works just great. In fact, Windows gives it a performance rating of 5.8 (the highest score any machine can get presently is 5.9).

haha, I guess a score of 10 requires quad SLI or something.
crazy.

-MM-

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2007, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by MM-o4 View Post
haha, I guess a score of 10 requires quad SLI or something.
crazy.

-MM-
Nope. MS hasn't yet made it possible for machines to score higher yet. They're leaving room for future PC power advances.

mutelight
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2007, 03:11 AM

I am running Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit and it runs flawlessly. Initially I had to install new sound card drivers because the output was very low but after that everything runs well.

Dual 2.66Ghz Xeon Woodrcrests // 8800GT 512MB // 30" Apple Cinema Display // 8GB RAM // Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE // 64GB iPad LTE Verizon // Home Theater

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2007, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
Aww, I got only a 5.6! Damn HDD access dragged me down! What are your specs? (Mine are listed in the sig)

Oh, and yeah, Vista runs beautifully. Same issue with the sound card as listed above, but I got that sorted out.
( Last edited by brokenjago; Feb 24, 2007 at 04:31 AM. )
Linkinus is king.

mutelight
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2007, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by brokenjago View Post
Aww, I got only a 5.6! Damn HDD access dragged me down! What are your specs? (Mine are listed in the sig)

Oh, and yeah, Vista runs beautifully. Same issue with the sound card as listed above, but I got that sorted out.
I am getting 5.0 and it is because of my RAM. How much RAM do you have?

Dual 2.66Ghz Xeon Woodrcrests // 8800GT 512MB // 30" Apple Cinema Display // 8GB RAM // Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE // 64GB iPad LTE Verizon // Home Theater

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2007, 02:57 AM

My RAM gets a 5.9. I have 2 GB RAM, 4x512. In what combonation of modules do you have your RAM? When you have four sticks, it goes into quad-band mode (or whatever it's called,) and you get a performance boost.
Linkinus is king.

mutelight
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2007, 06:07 AM

I have 4 512MB sticks as well. That is strange.

D3LM3L
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2007, 04:39 PM

Everything will work fine as long as you have 2GB of RAM or more. Mac Pros with 1GB have "resource" problems, regardless of the video card, causing Vista to work in VGA-Safe mode, at 640x480 with 4-bit color. Until Apple releases an EFI update fixing this, the only way to run Vista is with more than 1GB of RAM.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2007, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by mutelight
I have 4 512MB sticks as well. That is strange.
How do you have them? 2 in riser A, 2 in Riser B? It needs to be this way to be in quad-band mode. They also need to be in the slots closest to the motherboard.
Linkinus is king.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2007, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by brokenjago View Post

- Mac Pro 2.66HGz
- Radeon X1900XT, 30" Cinema Display
- 4GB RAM (2x1GB, 4x512MB) though Vista only sees 2GB
- Vista Ultimate 32-bit is installed on its own 74GB 10,000 rpm Western Digital Raptor HD.

Everything gets a 5.9, except for Gaming Graphics, which gets a 5.8.

My three year old, very carefully built, home-brew PC (AMD AthlonXP 3200+ 2.2GHz, 256MB GeForce 6800GT, 1.5GB RAM, 7200 rpm 320GB SATA HD) gets a score of 3.7. Actually, everything but the processor gets a very good score. Areo graphics is a 5.9, gaming graphics is a 5.1, HD scores a 5.4 and RAM gets a 4.5. The processor gets a 3.7. Ain't a dual core, but it still pulls its weight and then some, quite well (the Athlons were great processors, way better than anything Intel made at the time). Most of the eMachines, cheap HPs and virtually every Sony Viao Lifestyle PC they sell tons of at Best Buy and CompUSA get lower scores than that and they all have Vista pre-installed. They're all running budget Sempron, Celeron and Pentium 600-class CPUs.

Anyone know if Vista 64-bit sees all the RAM in the Mac Pro, or are we in need of an Apple EFI update to go beyond 2GB?

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2007, 11:51 PM

Windows XP needed a special boot.ini modification (or something similar) for it to be able to see 3 GB. I don't know if that's the case with Vista.

I see, the Raptor makes the difference there. Good to know!
Linkinus is king.

Forum Links
Forum Rules