Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I thought all factory installed memory was Samsung!

I thought all factory installed memory was Samsung!
0s and 1s
Forum Regular
May 5, 2004, 08:03 PM

I purchased my 1.5ghz 15" PB with the 1 so-dimm 512mb option, and when I opened the slot to upgrade my memory, it has a Cynnix sticker on the RAM instead of the usual Samsung sticker I'm used to seeing. Is this company as reliable as Samsung? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Detrius
Professional Poster
May 5, 2004, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by 0s and 1s:
I purchased my 1.5ghz 15" PB with the 1 so-dimm 512mb option, and when I opened the slot to upgrade my memory, it has a Cynnix sticker on the RAM instead of the usual Samsung sticker I'm used to seeing. Is this company as reliable as Samsung? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
That's the one with the funky pink/purple logo, right? It seems Apple has switched memory manufacturers recently. One thing to note is that even though I have seen a bunch of bad memory in the G5s, this memory isn't among the bad memory (so, yes it is reliable). While I'm on the topic, it seems all the bad memory I'm finding is probably the cheap/free memory that you get when you buy your machine from a mail order catalog and get the memory for free... that's the memory you need to watch out for.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

0s and 1s  (op)
Forum Regular
May 5, 2004, 09:22 PM

Perfect. I didn't know about the switch. I appreciate the info! Thanks!!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 5, 2004, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by 0s and 1s:
I purchased my 1.5ghz 15" PB with the 1 so-dimm 512mb option, and when I opened the slot to upgrade my memory, it has a Cynnix sticker
You mean Hynix?

It's a well-known brand of RAM -- it's Hyundai's brand name for its semiconductor products. Apple doesn't put crap RAM in their machines, it never has.

tooki

heresiarh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2004, 09:26 PM

never knew that.

h00ligan
Forum Regular
May 5, 2004, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by Detrius:
While I'm on the topic, it seems all the bad memory I'm finding is probably the cheap/free memory that you get when you buy your machine from a mail order catalog and get the memory for free... that's the memory you need to watch out for.
We had exactly this issue at work. Of saay 10 machiens with which we received free ram.. 9 had bad rram that caused kernel panics..

skip it.. it's junk.

Forum Links
Forum Rules