Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Quick question of concern to MacBook owners:

Quick question of concern to MacBook owners:
fox-orian
Jul 18, 2006, 10:26 PM

Just a slight concern then you can let this thread slink to the depths:
I know the MacBook is generally supposed to heat up on the bottom below the W key as well as near the rear of the keyboard bezel where the "MacBook" logo is.

However, my quick question is the area on the keyboard bezel just above all of the ports on the left-hand side. It can cook up pretty well over there, and I haven't had time to see if it heats up more when peripherals are plugged in.

Do any of you guys with MacBooks also experience the area above the ports heating up?

SLiMeX
Senior User
Jul 18, 2006, 10:29 PM

I experience only a slightly warm port-tops. Nothing scalding, though.
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

dankar
Jul 18, 2006, 10:32 PM

Not more than usual, with the USB2 port taken up by my external drive and firewire by my video camera.... The area is only hotter, if my MB charger is plugged in too.

Is your MB very hot there, without charging?

fox-orian  (op)
Jul 18, 2006, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by dankar
Not more than usual, with the USB2 port taken up by my external drive and firewire by my video camera.... The area is only hotter, if my MB charger is plugged in too.

Is your MB very hot there, without charging?
That's something I should test.
I should point out that it's hot, not scalding, above my ports.

I'll unplug it now and see if it cools down
Note: the magsafe is not hot at all

flgirl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2006, 10:50 PM

I have the charger, a monitor, a printer, and a USB hub plugged in right now, been plugged in all day. I can place my hand on the space, it is warm, but I can leave my hand there with no problems.

dankar
Jul 18, 2006, 10:54 PM

My Magsafe is not hot too, just that the left side area with it plugged in, heats up faster. That does not affect my temp reading on the DuoCore Temp, reading ranges from 52˚C - 72˚C max when processors are fully loaded (Nikon NX and Photoshop running at the same time).

fox-orian  (op)
Jul 18, 2006, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by dankar
My Magsafe is not hot too, just that the left side area with it plugged in, heats up faster. That does not affect my temp reading on the DuoCore Temp, reading ranges from 52˚C - 72˚C max when processors are fully loaded (Nikon NX and Photoshop running at the same time).

Yeah, I unplugged it and it has seemingly gotten a few degrees C cooler to touch. It's warm now, and definately not recoiling-to-touch.
My macbook also runs 52C to abut 74C max, so I guess this is just something normal to experience with the MacBook -- "It's in spec" as a genious would put it.

I was slightly concerned because to my knowledge the only component over there inetween the ports and the chips is the AirPort card.

Case
Jul 19, 2006, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by fox-orian
Just a slight concern then you can let this thread slink to the depths:
I know the MacBook is generally supposed to heat up on the bottom below the W key as well as near the rear of the keyboard bezel where the "MacBook" logo is.

However, my quick question is the area on the keyboard bezel just above all of the ports on the left-hand side. It can cook up pretty well over there, and I haven't had time to see if it heats up more when peripherals are plugged in.

Do any of you guys with MacBooks also experience the area above the ports heating up?
When my mag sage is plugged it it gets pretty hot

masugu
Senior User
Jul 19, 2006, 12:39 AM

The bottom near the ports gets very, very warm.
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2006, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by masugu
The bottom near the ports gets very, very warm.
Yeah I noticed that too, but only when the MacBook is plugged in. As soon as I pull out the charger, it cools right down.

fox-orian  (op)
Jul 19, 2006, 03:53 AM

All right Thanks for your help everyone, now I know the heat there is perfectly normal for any macbook.

This will be all the evidence I need.

Forum Links
Forum Rules