Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > dock nav: backward = shift+tab, not shift

dock nav: backward = shift+tab, not shift
yuliang
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2002, 04:23 PM

How come no one has complained about this? In 10.1, navigating between applications in the dock is tab for forward and shift for backward. In 10.2, the backward function is now shift+tab. I don't know about everyone else, but I find this extremely awkward.

I have a TiBook
Anthony Wu
- - - - - - - - - -
Titanium PowerBook G4/550 - X 10.2
Beige PowerMac G3/500 - X 10.1
HP 751n P4/1.8GHz - XP Pro SP1

DannyVTim
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 19, 2002, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by yuliang:
How come no one has complained about this? In 10.1, navigating between applications in the dock is tab for forward and shift for backward. In 10.2, the backward function is now shift+tab. I don't know about everyone else, but I find this extremely awkward.

I have a TiBook
It's always been that way and is done the same way in windows.
Dan

yuliang  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2002, 04:34 PM

In 10.1 all you had to do was press COMMAND-SHIFT to go back and I liked it the way it was. Any hacks out there to reverse this?
Anthony Wu
- - - - - - - - - -
Titanium PowerBook G4/550 - X 10.2
Beige PowerMac G3/500 - X 10.1
HP 751n P4/1.8GHz - XP Pro SP1

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2002, 04:51 PM

I have never EVER used or heard about anything but Command+Tab to move foreward and Command+Shift+Tab to move backward. It has always been like that. Command+Shift would NOT do anything since you need that combination for other things, like opening a new Finder window (Command+SHIFT+N). It wouldn't do if I suddenly switched to Navigator or Mail as I hit Command+Shift...

Command is not a key that does anything by itself. Same applies for Shift and Control. Only in combination between themselves and with any other than those three something will happen.

Command = does nothing
Shift = does nothing
Command+Shift = does nothing
Command+Tab = Next application
Command+Shift+Tab = Previous appleication

Were you using some kind of third party extension to achieve the Command+Shift combo or are you just off your rocker?

I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Cipher13
Sep 19, 2002, 05:06 PM

Voodoo - no, he's right. But, there's a catch.

Command-Shift would not send you cycling backwards through your apps - if you initiated switching with Command-Tab, you could THEN press Command-Shift to go backwards instead of forwards.

ie. to go back two places in 10.1: command-shift, shift, shift
10.2: command-shift-tab, command-shift-tab

I found the 10.1 way awkward at first, as OS9 and Windows don't do that. It seemed pretty dumb at the time. Now I much prefer it.

jcb9
Sep 19, 2002, 11:41 PM

I just wish command-tab scrolled through apps in the order they're in the Dock, like in 10.1, rather than first jumping to the last application. That still irritates me, almost a month after upgrading.

superlarry
Senior User
Sep 19, 2002, 11:53 PM

i remember that the command-shift thing was added in one of the system updates (maybe 10.1.x?) and i didn't like it. now i miss it. but what i feel doesn't matter - why is apple inconsistent about this?

Eddies in the aether
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2002, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by yuliang:
In 10.1 all you had to do was press COMMAND-SHIFT to go back and I liked it the way it was. Any hacks out there to reverse this?
I think you actually pressed command-shift-tab once then released the tab key for moving to the second and subsiquent app.

Mactoid
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2002, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
ie. to go back two places in 10.1: command-shift, shift, shift
10.2: command-shift-tab, command-shift-tab
To be accurate, in 10.1 you could do it either way. command-shift-tab, command-shift-tab was the documented way, but command-shift, shift, shift was a very nice little short cut. I really don't understand why they changed it.

Also, it has been mentioned before. See the list in this thread, and the previous one.
We hope your rules and wisdom choke you / Now we are one in everlasting peace
-- Radiohead, Exit Music (for a film)

fulmer
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2002, 12:17 AM

new way sucks.
old way good.

this is indeed very awkward. the old (pre 10.2) way took two fingers, and now the new way takes 3, two of which must be simultaneous. lame.

Forum Links
Forum Rules