Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Virtual PC Speed Enhancments

Virtual PC Speed Enhancments
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2002, 08:00 PM

I'm looking to speed up Virtual PC. I'm running 5.0.4 on OS 10.2. Now I turn sound off in the prefs and always close the PC List windows and sometimes it will run for a day, sometimes 10 minutes. But I did realize I had the colors up to thousands, so I turned them down to 256 and it seems to be running alot better and therefore more stable. Is there anything else I can do to speed it up? The PC equivalent of disabling some unused extensions maybe? I'm on Win2K by the way. Also, anyone know anything about an upgrade, so it won't crash so much, so I can actually let it run overnight and not have to force quit it in the morning?

Also its set to 96 MB of RAM out of my 640 MB total.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2002, 09:46 PM

try running in "full screen" mode if you are not already.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

jules
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2002, 09:49 PM

Why have you set the RAM so low?

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2002, 10:13 PM

I don't know that was what VPC recommended, and I read somewhere that setting it high doesn't help too much. And I do use it full screen.

Eddies in the aether
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2002, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by l008com:
I'm looking to speed up Virtual PC. I'm running 5.0.4 on OS 10.2. Now I turn sound off in the prefs and always close the PC List windows and sometimes it will run for a day, sometimes 10 minutes. But I did realize I had the colors up to thousands, so I turned them down to 256 and it seems to be running alot better and therefore more stable. Is there anything else I can do to speed it up? The PC equivalent of disabling some unused extensions maybe? I'm on Win2K by the way. Also, anyone know anything about an upgrade, so it won't crash so much, so I can actually let it run overnight and not have to force quit it in the morning?

Also its set to 96 MB of RAM out of my 640 MB total.
I had horrible problems with vpc 5.04 (running w2k with 512MB of pc memory within a window) & 10.2 and later 10.2.1. Switched to a backup pc disc, reinstalled OSX (archival install) up to 10.2.1, redid the permissions, turned off the PC sound and kept the pc list window closed. Everything seems to be back to normal, and is in fact quite fast the pc does not space out (ie it keeps on number crunching and the cursor no longer hangs), disc access is normal. The only way I could be happier would be if the pc program ran on a mac

PubGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2002, 10:58 PM

NT2000 you should set VPC virtual machine to no more than 256M. I did a bunch of speed tests (launching NT, loading a specific app, closing the app, then closing NT). 256MB seemed the optimum setting. I also remember reading somewhere that this was also Connectix's recommended setting for NT2000.

Gotta try the 256 color trick though...I've been keeping the video set to the same as the Mac's setting.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2002, 02:50 AM

Never got beyond Windows 98. I actually prefer running MS Windows 95 (with all the updates), since I don't have apps that require newer versions of the OS. USB support in Windows 95 came in a later service pack (can't remember which). USB Plug-and-Play in Win9x isn't that great, but its usable.

dazzla
Senior User
Sep 25, 2002, 05:08 AM

The best configuration I've found is the following:

* Windows 2000 SP3
* 256mb allocated
* dynamic drives off and set to your chosen size
* full screen
* sounds turned off in VPC settings
* quit every single app including the finder

That's about it, I get pretty nippy Windows 2000 then.

Forum Links
Forum Rules