Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > VPC performance tips?

VPC performance tips?
iJustinG
Jun 2, 1999, 11:31 PM

I'm running VPC on a RevB iMac(160ram) and I'm wondering if there are any ways to boost its performance, I once heard of something to make VPC your startup drive? Anyway thanks

beejybone
Jun 3, 1999, 10:06 AM

I run VPC on a rev. A iMac with 96mb of RAM. The fastest I have been able to get it to run has been by running Windows 98 Lite as the OS. Starting up with VPC as the finder and stuff like that have never produced significant speed increases for me. If you are already running Win98, go to www.98lite.net and get the scripts to modify 98. You will be very impressed with the speed increase.

dray
Jun 3, 1999, 12:10 PM

Make sure you have VM turned completely off. It will increase your memory requirements for all apps, but in my experience, the speed bump is worth it.

kfemino
Jun 3, 1999, 09:45 PM

If you need to REALLY run Windows 95 at it's fastest on your Mac, do this with
VPC:

On another partition create a bare bones System (sorry, without another
partition, this will not work), remove EVERY extension except the Appearance
extension, and every control panel except the Appearance control panel. Then
move the VPC preference file into the new System's preference folder. Also move
the VirtualPC app itself into the System folder. Remove the Finder from the
System, throw it in the trash and delete it. Use ResEdit to change the VPC
app's 'creator' code to MACS and 'type' to FNDR. Then rename VirtualPC to
Finder. Then reboot holding down "Shift-Option-Command-Delete", this will force
your Mac to boot from a System other than your startup disk. DO NOT CHANGE THE
STARTUP DISK IN THE STARTUP DISK CONTROL PANEL! If you do, it will be murder
trying to get it to boot back to MacOS.

Now what you have is Windows 95 booting instead of MacOS, and the performance
increase is more than double! Alas, you will not be able to use the MacOS while
you are running VPC like this, but you WILL still be able to share ANY Mac
folder!, but if you NEED to use Win95, this is the best way to do it! Now to
get back to the MacOS, just quite VPC as normal, saving it where you left off,
and then once it has saved the data to the disc, you just force-restart
"Control-Command-PowerKey", and your Mac will safely boot back to MacOS.

Thomas Ng
Jun 5, 1999, 12:49 PM

Hello, that last trick doesn't work, performance boosts are promised, but inreality emulation is slow and you won't get anywhere with stripped down extension sets nor any other method except buying a PC

Goob1234
Jun 16, 1999, 01:32 AM

Has anyone had any success with the Voodoo2 card for iMac and VPC?

Blake Patterson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 1999, 03:54 PM

I am desperately trying to get a WinCE device synched with '95 under VPC. Many are doing it on beige machines, fine. But I've a serial-port-less blue&white G3. I have a Keyspan USB<->serial adapter. It works in MacOS with my QuickTake 200 camera, etc. But I CANNOT get VPC to see the CE device. Anyone have ANY tips?! Thanks!

bp

JamieC0
Jun 16, 1999, 11:24 PM

I am running VPC on my Rev C iMac with 64 megs of ram. I have access to both windoz 95 and 98, does one give better performace over the other? Im currently using 95.
Thanks

Tony M
Jun 18, 1999, 12:46 AM

Help!I use VPC with a new G3, and when I increase my memory allotment to 126 from the finder, VPC settings still shows 32 megs.Also,I have installed 1 program from the CD drive but I didn't add some samples, now ANY TIME I even insert the PC disk into my DVD drive,CRASH,BOOM.VPC on,not on, I can't load anything!!!One last question, would it be possible to add a new HD,and only use it for VPC and PC programs like Photoshop? Any help will be appreciated.

MarkDL
Jun 21, 1999, 03:13 PM

Just a quick question:

Is there any way you can share the same internet access (via a modem) simultaneasly between VPC and the Mac? I.e. Start up an internet connection through the mac, and be able to broswe the internet using IE in VPC

Thanks,

Mark
( Last edited by reader50; Oct 22, 2009 at 02:10 AM. Reason: removed full name per user request)

ReeD
Jun 22, 1999, 12:07 AM

What creating a seperate partition can do, in addition to allowing you to have a seperate, smaller system (actually, I might reccomend installing a minimum version of the system, aka one with black&white icons etc -- often found on even floppy disks; yes Mac OS 8 can still boot off a floppy), which gives you more raw memory to give to VPC, but also if you run Norton on the disk to optimize it, and you put your disk image on this partition, you have an optimized partition, which speeds up disk access *a lot*. which, at least for me, improved VPC performance quite noticeably.

toy
Jun 23, 1999, 01:18 PM

reading and wondering ... what's wrong with you guys??? .... i was running VPC2.1 on Powerbook G3 Series 250 and it was doing fine ... played some kool games, run Virtual Basic Studio ... maybe you should manage properly your Mac OS ... or maybe you expect too much ... my VPC never crashed ... used some large databases with Access ...was OK ... speed was around Pentium 133 ... it lived on separate partition .. no VM used ... around 60Mb Ram allocated to VPC ...

����*������*

ThunderPoit
Jun 25, 1999, 10:33 PM

MarkDL-

Currently, VPC will not share an internet connection w/ the mac os, you have to connect through windoze, but it will support it fully in v3.0 which should be out around September, I belive.

Johnny
Jun 29, 1999, 01:19 AM

There is a 15 second delay from when I first click on the vpc icon and when it starts to load the disk image, anyone heard of this?

cmartin
Jun 29, 1999, 11:46 PM

The easiest way to increase VPC's speed is to have gobs of RAM, disable virtual memory and in VPC's pref's disable network, sound, and MMX support.

Kodos
Jul 3, 1999, 03:14 PM

This might be totally unrelated, but I tried 98lite on my Win98 box(I'm regretting not being so firm about getting another Macintosh instead of this Compuke monstrosity<sp>) Anyway, it runs WAY faster now(it has an AMD K6-2 450) and it has more resources. I don't know what those M$ programmers(Bill Gates) were smoking when they decided to Integrate IE and Windows, but it's alot better w/o integration. Thanx

garyj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 1999, 07:17 PM

I also have that 10-15 second delay between clicking on the VPC icon and actually seeing the VPC boot begin. It started happening about 6 months ago. I don't remember if it happened after upgrading to MacOS 8.5 or possibly one of the many VPC updates.

Gary

Marcus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 1999, 10:37 PM

For the guy trying to get the WinCE device to work, have you tried the gPort from Griffin? It will give you one fully functional serial port on the B&W.

wayne99wld
Jul 16, 1999, 07:34 PM

Can someone please tell me how to start my mac up with VPC, so i dont have to have Mac OS running at the same time. I did what the one guy said to do before, but it didnt work, maybe he left out a step? please help

rlmorel
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 25, 1999, 12:31 AM

I think memory allocation to vpc is key, the more the better. I discovered something that blew my mind the other day. My WallStreet 300 running VPC 2.1.3 with 100MB RAM allocated outperforms my desktop PC (HP Vectra 166/32MB)!!!!!! Word and Excel both not only launch faster, but run faster. I did a simultaneous test of a MS Word document, both running Windows 98 and Office 97, and it took the PC 5 seconds longer to to 5000 search and replaces!!!!!!!!!WOW!

"An argument isn't just saying 'No it isn't'!" "Yes it is!" "NO IT ISN'T!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules