Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > G5 Powerbook: Back 2 Black

G5 Powerbook: Back 2 Black
hadocon
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2004, 02:42 AM

I have a rather new 15" Aluminum Powerbook 1.25, and I like it enough... Enough to tide me over until the G5 Powerbook comes out.

I really hope that the G5 will bring us back to those heady days when our Powerbooks were black. To be honest, I would love to have the G5s finished in a way that is similar to a BBQ - I know it sounds funny, but I am interested in a stealthy (ie. matte) finish. Black, or very dark grey / charcoal.

I feel that the Aluminum Powerbooks draw too much attention, like the iBooks. Apple is giving people shiny *bling*, to compensate for the underwhelming G4. Now that we have the G5, there is no need to overcompensate.

Even if I don't get my way, I still would like to see an alternate finish (or perhaps even a chassis redesign) for the G5 Powerbook.
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2004, 03:16 AM

Uh yeah.....sure, whatever you say.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2004, 05:12 AM

But I like showing off my nice bling bling Powerbook when I'm on the road. I got a lot of people thinking about buying a Apple computer by seeing mine. I know of at least 6 people who switched over to Apple because of me.

Bling Bling Powerbook is a good thing.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Invincible J
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2004, 07:20 AM

nah, I like the way they look no, they look HOT!

fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Feb 20, 2004, 10:22 AM

if you want a black powerbook, i suggest www.krylon.com

lagarto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2004, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by fizzlemynizzle:
if you want a black powerbook, i suggest www.krylon.com
Ha, ha, ha... that made me laugh !!!

I don't know about overcompensating but black's boring, I don't buy Apple to look like everybody else!!!

dantley
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2004, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by hadocon:
I have a rather new 15" Aluminum Powerbook 1.25, and I like it enough... Enough to tide me over until the G5 Powerbook comes out.

I really hope that the G5 will bring us back to those heady days when our Powerbooks were black. To be honest, I would love to have the G5s finished in a way that is similar to a BBQ - I know it sounds funny, but I am interested in a stealthy (ie. matte) finish. Black, or very dark grey / charcoal.

I feel that the Aluminum Powerbooks draw too much attention, like the iBooks. Apple is giving people shiny *bling*, to compensate for the underwhelming G4. Now that we have the G5, there is no need to overcompensate.

Even if I don't get my way, I still would like to see an alternate finish (or perhaps even a chassis redesign) for the G5 Powerbook.
Shiney bling? That was stupid. IF you want black buy a Dell or IBM.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 20, 2004, 08:37 PM

I don't think the G4s are under-whelming. Also if you set your powerbook on fire you might get it to look like whatever the hell that is in the picture. I guess that is what you want your powerbook to look like? Yes, then fire and smoke are your best bet. That is pretty much what everything looked like when our house burnt down.

mrgaskell
Senior User
Feb 20, 2004, 09:23 PM

Any painting on a metal frame is going to suck. Eventually it will chip off or get scratched. The new Aluminum is very durable and takes abuse well. Although the older PowrBook line is cool, the faux leather stuff on it show abuse very easily and the metal on the front clasp chips and looks crappy over time.

Apple will stay the metal course. Like one poster said above, if you want black plastic, buy Dell.
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Feb 21, 2004, 01:16 AM

you could anodize the aluminum to color it, like what apple's doing with the ipod mini. personally, i think it looks cheesey, like something you'd see on a civic in the fast and the furious. but it's an effective method. i'm not sure if you can anodize something black, though. they could also powdercoat, but that would be very expensive and probably look like crap.

Link
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2004, 01:47 AM

try colorwarepc.com? that's where I'd go for a nice paint job.

Personally I want a blue powerbook.. this color changing paint that's blue and purple and stuff.. that'd be cool.

Dell sucks at black. IBM on the other hand.. the only thing that sucks about IBM laptops is with time the plastic around the hinges likes to get brittle and crack (or at least this seems to be common with their older laptops)

I do like IBM's elite blackness. Apple's silver is nice though..
Aloha

Chemmy
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2004, 04:36 AM

Originally posted by fizzlemynizzle:
i'm not sure if you can anodize something black
You can anodize things really dark purple, which looks black 99.99% of the time.

I don't think the silver is all that flashy. It's a very clean, understated design.

1.25ghz 15" PowerBook

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2004, 04:41 AM

I generally don't like showing off any bling-bling electronics. I want the best quality, but I don't necessarily want to advertise it. If I take my $600 PDA out on the subway, I'd rather it look like it was $99, but perform like $600. I sometimes carry a plain set of earbuds if I don't want to look like I'm using an iPod.

However, my AlBook is so beautiful, both inside and out, I've never minded it. I show it off like a proud parent (no, those aren't "white spots," they're beauty marks! ).

Since I bought it in September, two of my coworkers have purchased AlBooks largely because they've seen how cool mine is, so I guess by calling attention to itself it's helping to spread the joy of owning one to others.

jedimstr
Feb 21, 2004, 10:26 AM

Link's right, you can find what you want in terms of PowerBook paintjobs (and iPods too) at Colorwarepc.

I think this should provide what you're looking for:
http://www.colorwarepc.com/content.aspx?id=20

The paintjobs look nice and clean with lots of choices, but they're just not me.

I like my Aluminum 15" just the way it is...

djohnson
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2004, 12:33 PM

How about making it match the towers? Full of holes and everything I think the current ones stand out enough and look sweet to boot!

hadocon  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2004, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by jedimstr:

I think this should provide what you're looking for:
http://www.colorwarepc.com/content.aspx?id=20
That colorware service looks cool, although I don't think that I would do it. I don't like how the keybaord and trackpad are not colored. It looks like a really nice hack job, but a hack job nonetheless.
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 21, 2004, 01:24 PM

You can anodize some metals (including aluminum and niobium) black and gray.

Ever seen a Mag-Lite? Those are anodized aluminum, and those come in colors and shiny black.

Ever seen Calphalon's hard-anodized cookware? It's anodized aluminum, and it's matte slate gray. (It's also a really tough finish, that hard-anodizing.)

tooki

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2004, 02:11 PM

I took the iPod mini colors as a clue that Apple is indeed working on coloring the aluminum of their other products
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

decursive
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2004, 03:37 PM

what's needed is gunmetal.
= decursive =

hadocon  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2004, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by decursive:
what's needed is gunmetal.
That is more along the lines of what I would like to see. I just want something dark instead of this bright Aluminum - does not necessarily have to be like a BBQ

fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Feb 21, 2004, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by djohnson:
How about making it match the towers? Full of holes and everything I think the current ones stand out enough and look sweet to boot!
The current powerbooks match the G5s - they're both aluminum with tons of vent holes on the surface (except for the 12")

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2004, 10:54 PM

A vent or two would be nice.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

saranwarp
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2004, 12:05 AM

I'm with the OP, I love my PB but it's just a bit too flashy for class. At my school almost no one takes notes on a laptop; bringing this thing into a small-group discussion would literally distract people.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2004, 12:40 AM

i disagree with the OP...

I am all for BLING...

gold laptop please....

blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Forum Links
Forum Rules