Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Transparent menulings

Transparent menulings
jlfspook
Apr 15, 2004, 10:42 AM

I've been using many themes, such as XIAP's Soft-Candy, and the menulings (battery, airport, bluetooth, etc...) are unfortunately white, as they are in the normal Apple Aqua theme. I was wondering if there was a way of making the menulings transparent so that they would reflect the color of the menu bar rather than just standing out.

I know themes such as AquaPro have done it, but I have not been able to decipher how.

Thanks!

Jorge

DoGoodDrugs
Apr 15, 2004, 11:04 AM

i dont know the answer to your question, but maybe a related question: im running 10.2.8 with alluminum alloy theme, i want the menus to be transparent, i thought i remembered a program or something that could do this, or at least change the amount of transparency. is this so or do i need to edit the theme to get transparent menus? if so what resources do i need to edit to do this?

sorry if im busting in on our thread, i just didnt know if it was appropriate to start a new thread for this.

thanks,
DGD

DaveV1.0
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2004, 12:00 PM

jlfspook: If your talking about the contextual menus for the extras on the right of the menu bar try logging out and in again after changing the theme theres also an option to do this in ShapeShifter it's on the load up screen under Restart Finder after changing theme. If thats not what you on about try including a screen shot so we can see.

DoGoodDrugs: I'm sorry i've never heard of an app that makes menus transparent apart from editing the theme in themepark I don't think theres anything else to do, maybe somone else knows?

Maelman
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2004, 03:16 PM

I understand what you are talking about. All of the built-in menu extras are located here. If you right-click on them and then select Show Package Contents, you can navigate to the Resources folder. In there are some tiffs. They are organized differently depending on the menu extra, for instance, the volume menuling has seperate images for mute through max and mute through max selected, but the battery menuling has them all in one image. For most of them you could probably just take the white/selected version and invert it. The battery one will be a little harder because it has color. If you know how to use Photoshop it shouldn't be to much of a problem. Be sure to make a backup of the menu extras before you modify them in case something goes wrong. They are write protected, so you will need to know how to use the terminal to replace the files (i'm not going to get into that though). Also be sure to retain the alpha channel and save them as tiffs when you are done. I hope that helps.

- Mael

Rosyna
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2004, 07:06 AM

FWIW, they are called Menu Extras and not menulings.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2004, 07:57 AM

You can also use themepark to change them...
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

DaveV1.0
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2004, 01:30 PM

Are you sure he/she dosen't mean the contextual menus you get when you click on a menu extra cause the the menu extras are not white in Aqua and he/she says thats the problem if so a log out and in again is all thats needed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules