Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Why are OS9 users always left out of the picture?

Why are OS9 users always left out of the picture?
Raderick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2004, 12:09 AM

The last, I'd say, two months, I've been looking for a p2p program that connects to the FastTrack (Kazaa, Grockster) network, and is OS9 supported. After two months, I still cannot find a single P2P program besides Limewire (BTW, it doesn't connect to FastTrack) that connects to that network, and actually does what it supposed to do.

I tried a program called MacFileGrabber, but it only connects to only half of the networks it advertises it connects to.

My desperate plea is why we are always left out of the picture to many mac programs. We already get left out with Windows computers. Why can't programmers program their programs that will suit both OSX and OS Classic OS?

I guess a follow-up is, is there any p2p programs that does connect to the FastTrack network?

- Cody

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2004, 10:14 AM

Raderick, I hate to break it to you, but the classic Mac OS is officially dead. Especially for developers. SJ buried our beloved, venerable classic Mac OS. Developers that continue to support OS 9 are being gracious. I loved the classic OS too, but its retirement was simply overdue. If you need additional functionality not available on OS 9 (and you cannot run OS X), you may consider installing Linux.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jun 25, 2004 at 10:19 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Jul 24, 2004, 12:58 AM

Linux is one road that most Mac users do not consider especially people who still use Mac OS 9.

Your going to have to surrender and buy a new Mac if you want most of the file sharing abilities that pc users enjoy and get sued for"L"

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2004, 11:13 AM

I think a big clue is this forum: only two active topics.

We've now had 3 to 4 years of OS X - developers quite rightly are being encouraged to only program for OS X. As already stated, if you can't run OS X Linux may be a better option for you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules