Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > New To Linux

New To Linux
Raderick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2004, 02:17 AM

I don't know where to put this, so I'll just put it here.

Now, I've been hearing about Linux for a long time, but now I would like to make my plunge into it after looking at a few posts. However, I want to make sure that I'm able to download and install it.

First, I am currently on a Mac OS 9. I was told that I can install a linux OS on it. Is this true?

Second, can I download and install and operate Windows applications and such on Linux?

Third, what is the benifits to having Linux rather than Windows or Macintosh?

Thank you.

Raderick  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2004, 02:19 AM

I guess I forgot one other question. I heard there are many Linux "boxes". What is the better on that is out there? I use my computer for personal use, a little gaming and lots of media use.

york28
Senior User
Jun 26, 2004, 02:51 AM

Ok, let's see:

You can install Linux, but depending on how old your Mac is you may have some trouble getting a GUI running. The best distro for Macs is probably YellowDog.

No, Windows apps that might run under Wine on a PC won't run on a Mac, due to each having a different processor.

The advantage is that you'll be using a unix-ish operating system instead of Windows or Mac OS 9. This may be beneficial to you, and it might not be.

Don't use Linux because you want to use Linux, use it if it is the best tool for whatever you are trying to do. And if that includes games, then I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed.

I'd suggest a google search for more info on these topics.
We need less Democrats and Republicans, and more people that think for themselves.

infinite expanse

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2004, 03:48 AM

Originally posted by Raderick:
I guess I forgot one other question. I heard there are many Linux "boxes". What is the better on that is out there? I use my computer for personal use, a little gaming and lots of media use.
I think you mean "distributions". Boxes is just a term referring to the computer Linux is running on. For example, I might call my PC running Linux my "Linux box", or my PC running Windows my "Windows Box", or my Mac running Mac OS my "Mac OS" box... etc..

The best Linux distribution for Mac is Yellow Dog Linux.

For personal use Linux is ok. For media and games its not very good at all, especially on the PowerPC side. You probably want to stay with Mac OS 9, or even better, Mac OS X for multimedia. Games on PowerPC Linux basically do not exist.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 26, 2004, 07:33 AM

If i were you, I'd make my Mac OS X compatible instead of moving to PPC Linux (PPC is basically a different processor than those Windows and most Linux'es run on). As such, your choice of distro is limited.

If your after UNIX, give OS X a try if you can, its core is infact UNIX.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2004, 01:23 PM

Yellow Dog Linux is the easiest PPC distro for newbies. But the real easiest *NIX is OS X. Unless you have a specific need for Linux, I suggest you just upgrade to OS X.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2004, 02:03 PM

Please step away from the penguin...

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Jun 26, 2004, 02:03 PM

I would suggest OS X too. While knowing how to use Linux can be beneficial, if you are just playing around you will spend a lot of time reading help documents rather than actually doing anything.

With Mac OS X you can do all of the unix things, but you will have a much easier time learning.

Raderick  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2004, 05:22 PM

Thank you for your responces.

Mac OS X is 100% out of the picture. I simply do not have the cash to purchase OS X Panther.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2004, 07:57 PM

Linux is only cheaper if your time is free. And as a newbie, you will be spending a lot of your time on it.

gatekeeper
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2004, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
Linux is only cheaper if your time is free.
NASA's time is free? What about the NSA? Is their time free too?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2004, 08:41 PM

Thank you for your responces.

Mac OS X is 100% out of the picture. I simply do not have the cash to purchase OS X Panther.
OS X Panther isn't THAT expensive honestly. If your machine is old enough it didn't come with OS X you can probably find older copies of OS X cheaper.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2004, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by gatekeeper:
NASA's time is free? What about the NSA? Is their time free too?
They have people who already know what they're doing, and they probably spend a lot of time and money on training for those who don't.

My point was that he'll probably spend enough time trying to get things working that he'll wish he had just spent the money on OS X.

gatekeeper
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2004, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
They have people who already know what they're doing, and they probably spend a lot of time and money on training for those who don't.
In which case the only modifier made your statement incorrect.

My point was that he'll probably spend enough time trying to get things working that he'll wish he had just spent the money on OS X.
I agree. An inexpensive option would be too pick up a copy of Jaguar on eBay.
Edit: Just noticed that goMac already suggested this.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2004, 08:54 PM

Raderick, what kind of computer do you have? Depending on how old it is, you might just want to stick with what you've got.

Raderick  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2004, 09:42 PM

I currently run on a iMac. It's about 3-4 years old.

I don't have the cash currently to spit out for a new OS at this time, old or new, hence, why I brought up going to Linux, because it's free.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2004, 10:37 PM

It seems kinda backwards though that you'd get a Mac for the quality, ease of use, and multimedia support yet switch to Linux. Linux is good for programming and geek tasks, but honestly, for the average user, its not a good system.

If you can't make the move to X and are unhappy with 9 you might just want to sell the iMac and get a cheap PC running Windows XP.

Raderick  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2004, 10:52 PM

Originally posted by goMac:
It seems kinda backwards though that you'd get a Mac for the quality, ease of use, and multimedia support yet switch to Linux. Linux is good for programming and geek tasks, but honestly, for the average user, its not a good system.

If you can't make the move to X and are unhappy with 9 you might just want to sell the iMac and get a cheap PC running Windows XP.
Story goes a little like...

I get an iMac from a friend of mine from my old hometown who happens to be a Mac geek. Didn't really like Macs at the time, because I was a gamer, and well, you just can't play too many games on the Mac. I pretty much ditch it.

I later get a Windows 98 Computer from a friend who just upgraded to a XP. After about a year and half of use, the motherboard decides to turn into french fries. I go back and find the old Macintosh OS 9 computer in the garage.

Wait one second, suggessting Windows on a Mac forum? Is this legal?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2004, 10:56 PM

Story goes a little like...

I get an iMac from a friend of mine from my old hometown who happens to be a Mac geek. Didn't really like Macs at the time, because I was a gamer, and well, you just can't play too many games on the Mac. I pretty much ditch it.

I later get a Windows 98 Computer from a friend who just upgraded to a XP. After about a year and half of use, the motherboard decides to turn into french fries. I go back and find the old Macintosh OS 9 computer in the garage.

Wait one second, suggessting Windows on a Mac forum? Is this legal?
If you want to get the iMac doing any sort of game playing its going to need upgrades. Linux would definitely not work.

Raderick  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2004, 11:03 PM

If you want to get the iMac doing any sort of game playing its going to need upgrades. Linux would definitely not work.
No no no, you don't get it. I don't and never have gamed on my Macintosh, and don't plan to if I do happen to switch to Linux. I mostly do web site design and some downloading on this machine. I did my gaming on the Windows computer before the motherboard crashed.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2004, 11:07 PM

No no no, you don't get it. I don't and never have gamed on my Macintosh, and don't plan to if I do happen to switch to Linux. I mostly do web site design and some downloading on this machine. I did my gaming on the Windows computer before the motherboard crashed.
For web design you're probably still better off with 9 or X, unless you edit in pure text HTML.

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2004, 09:35 AM

For web design you're probably still better off with 9 or X, unless you edit in pure text HTML.
Even for editing in pure text HTML, I'd still recommend OS X. I find myself much more productive on my mac at home than I do at work using a windows box. I just can't live without SubEthaEdit
The Windows box at work has an X server on it (XWin) which takes it's info from a linux box I use as a server for the wab pages I write (it has X11 forwarding on). So, even with the combination of linux and windows operating side-by-side, I still prefer OS X. There's some great text editors for both Windows and Linux, but... Maybe it's just me.

However, I love tinkering with linux when I'm bored etc.
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2004, 10:01 AM

I have to agree with the voices stating that Linux can be quite difficult for someone who is not versed in the command line. Linux distros have come a long way in the last few years, and for most of them, you can do just about everything from the GUI, but there will almost always be a point where you'll have to use the GUI.

In other words, if you really want to move to Linux be prepared to mount a steep learning curve, but one that is really worth it in the long run, IMO.

If you mainly do websites, there are indeed all the tools you'll need to do that on Linux. There's the GIMP, which is pretty good for web graphics, and there's the Quanta IDE for HTMl and PHP.

If you have around a 300MHz iMac machine with around 128MB RAM, it should run Linux fairly well.

But be prepared for some long nights learning the ins and outs of Linux.

IMO, it'll be worth it.
weird wabbit

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2004, 10:37 AM

Linux had come a long and way and Yellow Dog does make it easy. If you want to try Linux on your mac, its awesome. But I agree with the others here; finnd a copy of Mac OS X on ebay, you'll be better off.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Forum Links
Forum Rules