Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > external monitor for the imac????????

external monitor for the imac????????
guybrand
Jul 31, 1999, 06:09 PM

how the **** can you hook up an external video monitor to the imac? or is it a forever hopeless dream?

anyone who replys will get a hot lunch from me, free!

marc
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 1999, 01:04 PM

Focus (focusinfo.com) makes the iTView which is a full iMac to television presentation system. iTView uses the iMac Video Adapter, which is also sold separately (call Focus: 800-538-6000).

The adapter is easy to install, but it involves opening the iMac case. You separate the plug which connects the iMac monitor to the motherboard and insert the adapter between the halves. The adapter splits the signal, travels up through the cooling holes, and terminates in a monitor port which mounts on the back of the iMac. This is not hard, and does not void your warranty, but you have to feel comfortable in opening the case.

Monitors attached to this port mirror the built-in monitor. I do not know of a way to have two monitors occupy different portions of the video space (can't be done, I suspect).

I hope this helps... Marc

Marcus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 1999, 06:25 PM

Another thing you can do is rip the back panel off the iMac. There will be a DB15 plug pluged into the logic board. Unplug it and plug in you gigger display and then it's 21" if you like.
Of course you loose your iMac display then, but hey if you are after 2 monitors buy a G3 tower.

guybrand
Aug 1, 1999, 10:35 PM

what i was hoping for was to use the little port, which i thought was an expansion port, to stick in a video card and have a 17" monitor hooked up to it. but i guess thats not reality.

thanks for your advice!

marc
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 1999, 10:45 PM

What do you mean by little port? If you have a Rev. A or B iMac with a mezzanine slot, then you have many more possibilities.

guybrand
Aug 2, 1999, 09:10 PM

mezzanine slot? what the hell is that?

marc
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 1999, 09:37 PM

The first two versions of the iMac, the ones with the irPort on the front left, had an unadvertised slot on the motherboard. This slot, known as the mezzanine slot, was an escape hatch which allowed the iMac to be expanded in case it did not go over. Apple warned developers not to use it. The iMac was a hit, but developers built (and still sell) a variety of expansion boards for it anyway. In Revision C of the iMac (the first one with colors), Apple got rid of it.

Now, back to your original question. If you want a 17 inch monitor, go to the Monitors & Sound control panel and set resolution to 1024 x 768. This is approximately a 17" monitor. I find this too small to be confortable on the iMac's built-in screen. You may not. If you do, plugging in a real 17" monitor (as discribed above) will mirror what is on the iMac screen, but be more readable because the larger screen will enlarge the smaller image.

If by some chance your screen is set to 640 x 480, set it to 800 x 600 (approx. a 15" monitor). This is readable and shows more. Good luck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules