Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac Microphone

iMac Microphone
darkprince
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2001, 10:47 AM

My iMac is a 1999 iMac SE DVD with 256 mgs of memory and operating on OS 9.1.

I am having trouble recording with my iMac. The internal mic doesn't seem to work. I have also tried to use a plug-in mic (non-USB). That doesn't seem to work either. I have gone into the sound control panel and adjusted it as appropriate for the internal or external mic.

What else should I be doing? Would a USB mic solve the problem?

Thanks.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 29, 2001, 12:45 AM

Can you tell us a bit more?

what app are you using with the internal mic?
Does it show you a VU meter, so you can see the mic is actually registering sound?

<small>[ 07-09-2002, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: vmarks ]</small>
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

darkprince  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2001, 11:02 AM

I am using Transparent Language's A+ German 1.0 software. I don't know what a vu meter is, but A+ German has a "wave graph" that doesn't seem to be reacting to my input. I called technical support at Transparent Language and they assured me that the recording and playback function worked with the Mac version of the software.

I also tried to use simple sound to determine if my mic is the problem. I couldn't use simple sound to record anything either. Maybe the mic is the problem, or maybe my settings are goofed up.

Any suggestions that you have would be appreciated.

gto47
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 29, 2001, 04:33 PM

Trash your sound prefs and make sure you have set the source properly in the sound control panel. I'd also try another app for recording. Personally, for moste simple uses i use a program called sound recorder. It is really easy to use and extremely stable. -also its free, and only 140k! Try downloading that and see if it works. foudhere
Also, if your modem is connected, it sometimes interferes with your sound input device preference, and wont let you switch devices{sometimes}. So switch the input while your modem is offline. Thats about all i can think of for now... Keep on posing, we'll probably figure it out.
Mac Pro 8x2.8 | Macbook 2.13 | Saab Trionic 7 (thats right, runs on a 68k!)

Forum Links
Forum Rules