Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Non-political Bible question

Non-political Bible question (Page 2)
- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2006, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
{edit} nevermind. I wont even bother with this derailing post of projection and hatefulness.

Reported.

You crack me up Kevin, you really do.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 28, 2006, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
B.K. (Before Kevin): Thread moves along beautifully, nobody argues.

A.K. (After Kevin): The bickering begins. Coincidence?
That is like saying a Klan rally was going fine before the civil rights people came.

Before Kevin thread was never on topic. And filled with sarcastic anti-Christian posts.

That isn't "moving along beautifully"

Just because people don't speak out against such bigotedness doesn't mean everything is ok.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2006, 08:25 AM

Maybe it's because you always manage to mess up religious threads? Like mastrap said, they seem to work out just fine and civilized before you come in with your hurt personal feelings.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 28, 2006, 08:27 AM

Sure if you totally ignore what I just posted. Which you did. And just repeated what I debunked.

Congratulations.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2006, 08:51 AM

Well boys... you've managed to destroy another thread..

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2006, 08:53 AM

That was far from a "debunking", but rather a self-righteous claim with no proof other than your own hurt feelings. Like I've said before: Get over yourself and your high horse.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 28, 2006, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
That was far from a "debunking",
Sure was.
but rather a self-righteous claim with no proof other than your own hurt feelin
gs.
Projection.
Like I've said before: Get over yourself and your high horse.
No high horse. I am no better than anyone else in here.

I am not the one acting condescending. You are.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 28, 2006, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
Well boys... you've managed to destroy another thread..
It was destroyed on page one with these off topic "rantings"

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
I'd say Isaiah had one too many mushrooms. I think he had a bad trip.
Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
There's a cool part where God sends a bear and it kills 42 kids for making fun of a bald guy.
Originally Posted by quattrokid73 View Post
the cover of my religion textbook from highschool was Jesus f*cking up the money changers with a whip, it was amazing!
Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
The Bible could say "My name is God and I'm a ****ing asshole" and people would still twist it.
G-d? Come off it, even Christians roll their eyes at that one.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2006, 08:57 AM

Pulling the old "I am rubber, you are glue" again?

Chalk it up there with your other clichés. "Projection" being the number one.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2006, 09:00 AM

Are you denying that all those "bad" things are in the bible? Or are you just mad because people have the AUDACITY to point them out to you?

No one is making fun of you. You are just taking it that way. But then again, you'll just pretend that I am projecting and keep on with your merry ways.

bstone
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2006, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Why do you write "G-d"? It's not like the word God is the Tetragrammaton.
As Judaism believes that the name of the G-d is so holy, and wherever the full, unmasked name if written that medium becomes holy. In order to prevent a desecration of G-d's name, we mask it.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

bstone
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2006, 09:01 AM

See above, and thank you for respecting my religious beliefs.

talisker
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2006, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by bstone View Post
As Judaism believes that the name of the G-d is so holy, and wherever the full, unmasked name if written that medium becomes holy. In order to prevent a desecration of G-d's name, we mask it.
But He has already been mentioned in this medium (whether that be this thread, macnn, or the internet). So the horse has bolted.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2006, 09:07 AM

See above, and thank you for respecting my religious beliefs.
I do respect your religious beliefs. It just happen to be a part of your belief taken so far that it becomes funny.

And Judaism as a whole does not believe that the name of God is so holy that it can't be written out, even in English:
In recent years, some Jews have carried the practice even further by abstaining from writing the English word "God" and substituting the spelling, "G-d" or "Gd." However, there is no prohibition in Jewish law from writing "God" in any language other than Hebrew.
None of my jewish friends seem to think this is to be taken seriously. But then again, they might not be true jews, what do I know?

bstone
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2006, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by talisker View Post
But He has already been mentioned in this medium (whether that be this thread, macnn, or the internet). So the horse has bolted.
This is a very good point. Let me try to explain with an analogy.

You rob a bank. Or, someone else robs a bank. That's bad. Just because you or someone else did it once doesn't mean it should occur again.

This is a pretty traditional thing in Judaism and traditions, espically in Judaism, have a very very hard time changing.
( Last edited by bstone; Nov 28, 2006 at 09:11 AM. Reason: grammer or something)

Railroader
Banned
Nov 28, 2006, 09:10 AM

I do respect your religious beliefs. It just happen to be a part of your belief taken so far that it becomes funny.
Talk about the ultimate contradiction.

bstone
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2006, 09:10 AM

You have a funny way of showing it. Might I suggest more tact? Also, just because something is funny to you doesn't mean it is not a very important thing for someone else.

And Judaism as a whole does not believe that the name of God is so holy that it can't be written out, even in English:
None of my jewish friends seem to think this is to be taken seriously. But then again, they might not be true jews, what do I know?
In wikipedia, they would add "{{fact}} citation needed" to this. Care to share your source? I studied in rabbinical seminary for several years and can assure you that Orthodox Judaism (of which I subscribe) holds steadfast to this.

bstone
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2006, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Talk about the ultimate contradiction.
Nod.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2006, 09:14 AM

You have a funny way of showing it. Might I suggest more tact? Also, just because something is funny to you doesn't mean it is not a very important thing for someone else.
Yeah. I do whole-heartedly admit that I have a problem with people that are too caught up in themselves to not be able to laugh at themselves. But that's just me and the people I associate with - which are from all sorts of backgrounds, religious and otherwise. I am sorry that I have offended you, I am just of the natural inclination of thought that people who are easily offended should be. Makes them think
In wikipedia, they would add "{{fact}} citation needed" to this. Care to share your source? I studied in rabbinical seminary for several years and can assure you that Orthodox Judaism (of which I subscribe) holds steadfast to this.
Most certainly I can. I apologise for missing out on that one. It was in fact straight from the rabbis mouth.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2006, 09:15 AM

Why not just use the generic lower case spelling... god?

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2006, 09:15 AM

A bunch of ignorant people mocking what they don't or refuse to understand.

Just like any religious thread in a forum were close minded bigoted people go to.
Thank you, Mr. Obvious.

---

Anyway, proud that MacNN can start the war even in the wee hours of the morning.

Now, clean-up in Aisle 3.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2006, 09:16 AM

The way people take offense is actually the funny part of it.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2006, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
Why not just use the generic lower case spelling... god?
Oh, I wouldn't want to offend anyone now, would I?

Nicko
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2006, 09:20 AM

Oh, I wouldn't want to offend anyone now, would I?
Take the high road and just be objective and offend everyone equally, but in a nice way.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 28, 2006, 09:22 AM

I am just of the natural inclination of thought that people who are easily offended should be.

Makes them think Most certainly I can. I apologise for missing out on that one. It was in fact straight from the rabbis mouth.
Except that from your link, the Rabbi also says what you are doing is inappropriate.
In any case, it would be inappropriate and opposed to Jewish values to correct or shame a person for keeping this practice if it is done out of respect and reverence for God.
But nevermind, people who are easily offended by you, should be. /sarcasm.

bstone
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2006, 09:31 AM

Most certainly I can. I apologise for missing out on that one. It was in fact straight from the rabbis mouth.
As the URL indicates, this person of is the Reform denomination of Judaism. I am of the Orthodox denomination. Orthodox and most Conservative Jews employ the dash. Reform in some instances are struggle in their basic belief in G-d and as such take a more academic view of G-d and leave out the dash or not.

Tiresias  (op)
Nov 28, 2006, 09:37 AM

Really? Any name for God, in any language, is masked? Not just YHWH? I didn't know that. But in that case, who can discriminate between what is a true name for God and what is just a moniker? God has many names: "The Father"; "The Creator"; "The Maker"; "The Supreme Being"; "The Great Spirit"; ""The Man Upstairs", e.t.c. What's the rule of thumb?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2006, 09:41 AM

As the URL indicates, this person of is the Reform denomination of Judaism. I am of the Orthodox denomination. Orthodox and most Conservative Jews employ the dash. Reform in some instances are struggle in their basic belief in G-d and as such take a more academic view of G-d and leave out the dash or not.
I love it when religious people prove my main point about religion: No one can frickin' agree on anything!

bstone
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2006, 09:45 AM

Really? Any name for God, in any language, is masked? Not just YHWH? I didn't know that. But in that case, who can discriminate between what is a true name for God and what is just a moniker? God has many names: "The Father"; "The Creator"; "The Maker"; "The Supreme Being"; "The Great Spirit"; ""The Man Upstairs", e.t.c. What's the rule of thumb?
You are asking questions that the ancient Rabbis in the Talmud used to ask. In Hebrew we mask the name of G-d with an abbreviation (the letter Hey) just like I use the dash here. It seems that the common name of G-d, aka G-d, is the form to mask. Great Spirit and others are not the "common name" and do more of a reference to G-d. A descriptor, if you will.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2006, 09:46 AM

We all know G%d is both vain, vengeful and easily fooled by linguistic tricks like dashes. At least according to orthodox jews I keed. I keed.

Why is it that I can find this funny (because let's be fair, it's true), and yet people can't laugh at their own idiosyncrasies concerning faith?

That's an honest open question.

bstone
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2006, 09:48 AM

I love it when religious people prove my main point about religion: No one can frickin' agree on anything!
With two Jews you have three opinions.

Try reading the Talmud. It's completely full of divergent opinions, yet Judaism has existed and persisted for many, many years.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 28, 2006, 09:48 AM

Just ignore him and report him. There is no reason to seriously repond to him.

bstone
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2006, 09:51 AM

We all know G%d is both vain, vengeful and easily fooled by linguistic tricks like dashes. At least according to orthodox jews I keed. I keed.

Why is it that I can find this funny (because let's be fair, it's true), and yet people can't laugh at their own idiosyncrasies concerning faith?

That's an honest open question.
It's not about "fooling" G!d. It's about preserving my people's ancient traditions and revering the Name of G-d.

As as for that video, I am not a humanities student. I study biology and chemistry at a well known American university. And I believe in G-d.

Tiresias  (op)
Nov 28, 2006, 09:55 AM

A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.

—Francis Bacon Essays: 'Of Atheism' (1625)
A lot of hard-boiled physicists—almost by necessity—bring the possibility of the existence of a God into their discussions of ontology and cosmogenesis. It's well-known that Einstein said: "God does not play dice." And Niels Bohr returned: "Stop telling God what to do with his dice." Stephen Hawking mentions the word "God" numerous times in A Brief History of Time.

God is immune to proof or disproof, because believers will always have this wild card: It is possibile that God Himself might furnish man with the means to disprove His existence in order to test the faith of His creations.

Zealous atheism is as preposterous as religious fanaticism. (There's nothing wrong with agnosticism, though).

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2006, 09:58 AM

It is possibile that God Himself might furnish man with the means to disprove His existence in order to test the faith of His creations.
Wow, that sounds utterly ridiculous.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 28, 2006, 10:00 AM

It is possible. But not likely. Esp since it's never happened.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2006, 10:00 AM

Just ignore him and report him. There is no reason to seriously repond to him.
Yes. Because serious discussion never lead anywhere. Kevin, you are so cute when you are hurt.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2006, 10:01 AM

As as for that video, I am not a humanities student. I study biology and chemistry at a well known American university. And I believe in G-d.
That was not the point. It was meant to take a shot at ME, not you.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2006, 10:07 AM

It is possible. But not likely. Esp since it's never happened.
I meant the concept. I mean... all I can think is you reap what you sow.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2006, 10:11 AM

A lot of hard-boiled physicists—almost by necessity—bring the possibility of the existence of a God into their discussions of ontology and cosmogenesis. It's well-known that Einstein said: "God does not play dice." And Niels Bohr returned: "Stop telling God what to do with his dice." Stephen Hawking mentions the word "God" numerous times in A Brief History of Time.
Einstein did once comment that "God does not play dice [with the universe]." This quotation is commonly mentioned to show that Einstein believed in the Christian God. Used this way, it is out of context; it refers to Einstein's refusal to accept the uncertainties indicated by quantum theory. Furthermore, Einstein's religious background was Jewish rather than Christian.
God is immune to proof or disproof, because believers will always have this wild card: It is possibile that God Himself might furnish man with the means to disprove His existence in order to test the faith of His creations.
Circular logic as it's best (read: worst).

Zealous atheism is as preposterous as religious fanaticism. (There's nothing wrong with agnosticism, though).
While there will always be asshole's on either side, zealous atheism is a bit of an oxymoron though. What you might think of as a zeal for atheism, often is a zeal for rational thought. I value scientific method over superstition and faith. In most cases science and faith can co-exist quite easily. When it is politicized it cannot. That's why I think me, and a lot of other rationalists have started to stand up for rational thinking and started fighting superstition - because it has started to (again) affect the society in which we live in (see stemcell research debates, the rise of creationism etc.).

And I think this is what offends believers. They are challenged in their ways of life by having their inconsistencies and irrationalities pointed out to them in a way that makes them uncomfortable.

Instead I would like to see a dialog open up. Less of the confrontational mess we are constantly witness to here on MacNN daily (of which, yes I am guilty of as well).

Anyway, that's just my 2 serious cents in this thread

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2006, 10:13 AM

Yep we do. It is logically silly because God is not His name. It's like writing L-rd. It's just fanatically and fantastically stupid. Since G-d means God then logically you shouldn't write G-d either.

Logically you couldn't write anything. But that logic is daft to begin with. The reason we say and write God or Lord is because we DON'T say His name or write it. God is a germanic word for the Norse deities anyway. A god is Thor, Odin and co. if you want to look at the origin of the word.

Never have I seen anyone write D-ós or Señ-r.. yes we Christians laugh at this dumb practice. The heart is in the right place but the mind is on stand-by.

:/

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2006, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
Yep we do. It is logically silly because God is not His name. It's like writing L-rd.
Lard?

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 28, 2006, 10:14 AM

Christians laugh at this dumb practice. The heart is in the right place but the mind is on stand-by.
This simply isn't true. Most Christians respect Jewish traditions and beliefs.

Even if it's not a "bad thing" according to God, them thinking it is, then doing it is a sin against themselves regardless. And we should never promote that.

The Bible also teaches about this.

So if you know Christians that laugh and ridicule it, they aren't basing their mockery on what the Bible teaches. But going against what it teaches.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 28, 2006, 10:18 AM

Yep we do. It is logically silly because God is not His name. It's like writing L-rd. It's just fanatically and fantastically stupid. Since G-d means God then logically you shouldn't write G-d either.

Logically you couldn't write anything. But that logic is daft to begin with. The reason we say and write God or Lord is because we DON'T say His name or write it. God is a germanic word for the Norse deities anyway. A god is Thor, Odin and co. if you want to look at the origin of the word.

Never have I seen anyone write D-ós or Señ-r.. yes we Christians laugh at this dumb practice. The heart is in the right place but the mind is on stand-by.

:/

V
I celebrate your tolerance and respect for another person's reverence towards their maker.

I am awe-struck by your humble nature on this topic.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2006, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
I am awe-struck by your humble nature on this topic.
More than a few people have commented in the PL at his [abrasive?] nature regarding his personal religion (Including myself).

So, sadly this comes as no surprise to me.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2006, 10:21 AM

Respect is one thing - I respect every man's right to believe whatever they want - but understanding why is a completely other. Have we not the right to the view that this is a complete lack of logic?

I could be more respectful of your opinion that we should never ever step on each other's beliefs, no matter how silly, had you truly been of that opinion yourself. It just only seem to apply to the people you are agreeable with.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 28, 2006, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
More than a few people have commented in the PL at his [abrasive?] nature regarding his personal religion (Including myself).

So, sadly this comes as no surprise to me.
I wouldn't single him out. The thread is full of it.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2006, 10:22 AM

I wouldn't single him out. The thread is full of it.
Finally you have come to the realization! What took you so long?

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 28, 2006, 10:23 AM

Respect is one thing - I respect every man's right to believe whatever they want
No you do not. You attack, accuse and redicule those that believe in things differently than you do.
but understanding why is a completely other. Have we not the right to the view that this is a complete lack of logic?
Logic to you is another man's fallacy. What you mean is, you don't understand. Too many people mock what they fail to understand. Or refuse to.

And it has nothing to do with being Jewish. I am not Jewish and I can understand fully why they do it.

You aren't here to understand, but to mock. You've made that appearent.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2006, 10:23 AM

Most Christians respect Jewish traditions.
Source?

This simply isn't true.
So which is it.. do they or don't they? Source please

Even if it's not a "bad thing" them thinking it is, then doing it is a sin against themselves.
Explain.

The Bible also teaches about this.
Unless you show these teachings your words are empty. I'm not even sure what your point is.

So if you know Christians that laugh and ridicule it, they aren't basing their mockery on what the Bible teaches.
Yes they are, as I explained.

Please Kevin, I assume English is your native language, so please make more effort in writing it. It is hardly legible. I understand every other sentance.. sometimes less of what you write.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Forum Links
Forum Rules