Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > My G3 is a lemon? Is yours?

My G3 is a lemon? Is yours?
gxdunca
Oct 12, 1999, 03:30 AM

I am a Graphic Artist and have always wanted a computer for my home. I have just recently bought my very first computer, after waiting many years to have one. On September 11, 1999 I bought a new G3 (400MHz, 12 GB, you know the specs) the best Apple money could buy at the time. I was so excited because I was about to start my freelance career. I had a job lined up and everything. Then after 3 days, the computer crashed and locked up. I took it back to my service provider and they replaced the hard drive. After a few days with the new hard drive, it didn't work again. So my service provider changed the HD cable. It worked for a week, and again the same problem. Next, they changed the logic board and memory (ram) and it still didn't work. Now Apple techs from SOS Apple want to change the processor. I have called 1-800-SOS-APPL seven times in the last 4 days. Each time I call a customer relations representative says that my case is being handled by a senior customer relations representative. But so far he has been too busy to speak to me and no one will give me his number. The regular customer relations reps say this problem is out of their hands and I can never get a hold of the Senior customer relations representative. I was promised that he would call me today, but I heard nothing. I feel trapped and hopeless, not to mention frustrated. Any body have any ideas what to do? Do you have a bad G3? Don't get me wrong I love apple computers I just want one that works.

TomL1777
Oct 12, 1999, 04:26 AM

I have worked in Customer Relations (handling consumer complaints) for a number of years. I think I can help steer you through the maze of getting you new computer fixed or replaced. The person you are talking to at the helpline (senior or otherwise) has guidelines to follow. They are designed to save their company money. They latest repeair they are offering is to replace the processor. This is because it is less expensive to try that than to replace the computer. They have their guildenlines to follow. No amount of logic or complaining on your part can change that. Do what they suggest and sooner or later, they will reach the point where they feel they are throwing good money after bad and if the computer isn't fixed, they will replace it. Yes, you have a 'lemon' but lemon laws are myths except regarding new cars in California. Otherwise you have to let the consumer reps follow their guildelines until they have exhausted all their options. Don't worry about speaking to the same person each time. They have you on file and let each new rep take the next step. They will do some buck passing but eventually a real manager will authorize replacing the computer. I know it is frustrating but fighting their system is like screaming at the ocean. Let me know if you have any other questions. [email protected]

SnowB
Oct 12, 1999, 01:53 PM

Tom may have worked as an Apple tech, but I feel that his reply is less than ideal, as he is basically saying that you are at Apple's mercy. The fact is, you aren't.

I too have had a Lemon from Apple (back in the bad old days of the Performa 5xxx models) and the idea that complaining to them is like "screaming at the ocean" simply isn't true.

My experience showed that nothing happened with the phone tech support until I asked for (and then demanded, when they refused) an address to which I could send a formal letter of complaint. They finally gave me an address, and I sent a simple letter outlining the problems I had experienced, and time I had wasted with my Lemon. I also stated that I required a reply, in writing, to my letter.

The outcome was that I received a phonecall about a week later (never did get a reply in writing) from a senior Customer Support manager, and she arranged to exchange my lemon for a new computer. Moreover, the computer which Apple gave me as a replacement was a significantly more expensive model. In exchange, the asked me to sign a non-disclosure agreement.

I refused, which is why I can tell you my story now :-)

The conclusion? Register your complaint in writing, and keep a copy. When you phone, always demand to talk to a manager. Generally be a pain in the butt. It works, even if it doesn't give guys like Tim an easy life.

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by SnowB (edited 10-12-1999).]

llaboo
Oct 12, 1999, 10:05 PM

You may want to look into the consumer protection laws for your state. In the state of Maine, there is a very strict and well defined LEMON LAW. It is a great tool to use when you run into problems with any thing techy. I would write the tech group and then cc a copy to the your state att. general. make sure in your letter to apple that you know the rights you have under a lemon law protection. But you will need to find out about your state. Check with any friends who sell cars- they will know.

Marcus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 1999, 04:02 AM

I worked for many years as a Service tech at an Apple reseller and had to job of handling all the difficult ones, alot of lemons came my way. We use to encourage people to write a letter to Apple, and sometimes Apple would ask us too. It's hard for the tech as you do get machines that defy logic. We once had a Duo 280 that had a faulty case shorting out the motherboards that took 3 months to find. The truth is that the people you talk to don't have the authority to make replacment machine decisions, but Apple will often make a great effort if you write a letter.

Also I'm hearing lot of reports of faulty processors on 400+ G3 machines. Get them to replace it.

kgb
Oct 13, 1999, 09:20 AM

Writing the letter is good. Being a pain is good. Leaving a paper tail is good.
We had what we thought was a lemon b/w G3.We went through 2 logic boards/clean installs/new video cards/etc�etc�
After a great deal of fear and trembling and replacing all but the entire box someone thought to ask about "drive termination"(one of the many last ditch attemps at troubleshooting. After so much trouble we found a hard drive (properly installed by a reputable Apple tech) was improperly terminated by. It wasn't until we contacted the manufacturer that we found out this little problem existed. We jumped through quite a few hoops to get the place where we eliminated the small things.After the termination was taken care of-bingo-no problems.

hope you can get your problem solved

rtthomas
Oct 13, 1999, 04:25 PM

I too am currently having the same problem with my B/W G3 400. My service center has just ordered me a new CPU. Although it runs MacOS fine it panics at least once a day while running Mac OS X Server. I got in contact with another person that was having the same problems and it turned out to be his CPU. Previous to that they'd replaced pretty much everything else inside his box with very little change in the crash frequency.

If we can't find the problem though, then I'll follow everyone else's advice here and write a letter to Apple requesting a replacement.

Thanks.

gxdunca
Oct 15, 1999, 12:12 AM

Thanks everyone for all your help.
I guess I'll write a letter.

I found this address on the internet.

Apple Computer, Inc.
1 Infinite Loop, M/S 303-4PR
Cupertino, CA 95014

Anyone know if that's right? Who do I send it to? I sure Stevey could care less.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 1999, 03:58 AM

That address is correct.

here is some more contact info: http://www.apple.com/pr/prcontacts.html

Best Wishes...

gxdunca
Oct 27, 1999, 03:00 AM

Update
Turns out my computer was a lemon.
Apple has decided to give me a replacement.
I sent my lemon to apple and I can't wait to get my new one soon.
I hope I don't get any more problems.

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 16, 1999, 07:35 PM

Also, on a side note, the Customer service at apple has a fax machine, here is the number (very hard to find) Apple CR Fax 408-974-9974

------------------
-See Yea!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 18, 1999, 05:01 AM

I also had a problem with my new G3.

Because I don't drive, I was able to convince Apple to arrange onsite service at no extra charge. And when one service provider failed to fulfil their duty, requiring Apple to contact a second service provider, therefore delaying the resolution of my problem, I was able to get them to send me a copy of OS 9 for free.

Just be sure to ask for a *customer relations* person, they are the only ones that can authorize goodies.

Just wanted to let you know that even Apple can be pressured into providing service.

tooki

P.S. I am now glad that the first service provider "flunked": the second one, which fixed the problem quickly, offered me a job, which I need! $12 starting pay! Woohoo! :-)

macopz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 1999, 10:28 AM

Probably the cause of your problem is that G3s and G4s are unstable when they are running at anything higher than 400.00 MHz. This is part of why we haven't seen an 800 MHz PPC yet. of course, also contributing to this is IBM's fickleness as regards PPC CPU production and Jobs' tendency to jump the gun on new machines.

------------------
;-) MacOpz
;-) MacOpz

Oh Har
Nov 22, 1999, 01:05 PM

They are not all lemons....

I overclocked my G3 350 up to 400 MHZ about 5 weeks ago and it is running rock solid stable!

I hope your replacement Mac is a great machine for you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules