Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Audio out from HDMI possible with my iMac?

Audio out from HDMI possible with my iMac?
V
Senior User
May 3, 2012, 02:18 AM

As of now I'm using an old Monoprice Mini Displayport to HDMI adapter and a 1/8 to rca for the sound when i want to watch stuff on my tv.

I always thought it wasn't possible to get audio out from the Apple's Mini Displayport until i read this.

According to it I could get audio out with my model (late 2009 aka the 2.66 27").

But when i click on the link to the adaptor page it says
Note: *Audio support is only available for MacBook Pro 13/15/17-in. mid-2010 release; iMac 21.5/27-in. early-2010 release
So would i get sound out from this adaptor on my iMac?

Also Monoprice sells adaptors that seem to carry the sound. I don't know if these are new and would work as well or if it's the one i have and sound just doesn't work on my iMac. It's identical to the one i got afaik but i got mine more than 2 years ago so maybe they improved it.

Thanks for the help.

P
May 3, 2012, 03:26 AM

The mid 2010 iMac is almost identical to the late 2009 model quadcore, which is what I think you have, so it seems likely. Personally I use a third-party mini-DP to HDMI adapter to get sound from my MBA to receiver, and that works fine. As soon as I plug it in, another audio out option shows up in System Preferences.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2012, 05:01 AM

"Almost identical" is right.

One of the differences is audio support via HDMI

V  (op)
Senior User
May 3, 2012, 10:38 PM

Damn that sucks. Anyway thanks for the help, this place is always reliable. Most forums seem to be very quiet these days though.

reader50
Administrator
May 4, 2012, 02:26 AM

If the hardware were identical, then tricking the later firmware to install on your iMac would solve the problem. But I don't know offhand if any of the chips changed.

P
May 4, 2012, 07:59 AM

I've been trying to figure this out. The quadcore iMac late 2009 is iMac 11,1. It has the same chipset as the iMac 11,2 and 11,3, the mid 2010 version. The GPU is changed, but it is a Radeon 4850 in the 11,1 and a 4670 in the base version of the 11,2. The faster models have chips from the 5000 generation, which might make sense if the 5000 generation were the first to add audio over DP, but then the 4670 in the base model wouldn't work either.

The dualcore iMac late 2009 is iMac 10,1 - a completely different motherboard, with an older chipset and CPU. It seems more likely to me that the difference is between 10,1 and 11,1 than between 11,1 and 11,2 - in which case Apple might be simplifying the situation slightly in their documentation - but obviously we can't know that.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

V  (op)
Senior User
May 4, 2012, 10:55 AM

It could be worth a try, the Monoprice adaptor is only 7$.

Forum Links
Forum Rules