Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Next OS X version to be named 'Yosemite?'

Next OS X version to be named 'Yosemite?'
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
May 31, 2014, 02:53 AM

A new banner being hung up at the Worldwide Developer Conference hall in San Francisco, along with some trademark filings in Trinidad and Tobago have hinted that the next version of OS X, numbered as 10.10, will likely be named "Yosemite." Apple has also trademarked a number of other names (presumably for future versions) like Sequoia, Mojave, Sonoma and Ventura -- continuing the theme adopted in 10.9.

With the release of OS X Mavericks -- with an "s," and named after a popular surfing destination -- Apple CEO Tim Cook said that the company would switch to the theme of "California place names" following the first nine official releases of OS X, which were originally codenamed -- and later marketed as -- members of the "big cat" family. Apple has been known to trademark terms in the tiny island countries due to a lower chance of the filing being discovered and associated with Apple, reports MacRumors.

The banner, spotted by a sharp-eyed photographer, shows the famous El Capitan mountain in Yosemite Valley. "Yosemite" was also one of filed trademarks, though the applications do not mention Apple specifically. The iPhone maker sometimes uses "front companies" or other surrepticious means to register trademarks in an effort to avoid revealing plans too early.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jun 2, 2014 at 08:30 AM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 31, 2014, 07:47 AM

Well this is going to be super confusing since they already used Yosemite as a code name for the B&W G3. What's next, OS 10.11 Pismo?

Ham Sandwich
May 31, 2014, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Well this is going to be super confusing since they already used Yosemite as a code name for the B&W G3.
The architectures are different (hardware vs. software) and are separated by at least 10 years... I doubt that there will be much confusion.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2014, 08:35 AM

Can I read iBooks on my iBook?

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
May 31, 2014, 09:31 AM

Also, the "Yosemite" moniker for the B&W G3 was an internal code name, not something that they publicly named it. It wasn't called the "PowerMac G3 Yosemite" -- but 10.9 was called "Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks."

"El Capitan" was also the internal code name for the case style and configuration of the B&W G3 and the G4 that followed.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2014, 09:55 AM

As opposed to its public name, "SmurfMac".

chimaera
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2014, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
If you are a man of vision, you can read signs in the wind. Otherwise, remember your glasses.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
May 31, 2014, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Ha ha ha. The original iBook is probably ditched purposely because of the iBooks. MacBook doesn't sound cohesively with iMac.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2014, 08:41 PM

They ditched the iBook in 2006. iBooks didn't hit the market until 2010.

I doubt that the switch from iBook to MacBook had any planning in it for the iBook store.

unicast reversepath
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2014, 12:19 AM

Yosemite, eh? Does a little window pop up and call you a "gol-durned idjit galoot" when something crashes or you make an error?
If you have Ghosts, you have Everything!

cacruden
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2014, 04:19 AM

Yeah, the one I wanted......

And who better to use as an OS X ambassador than the one that is most widely associated with Yosemite.....Yosemite Sam!

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2014, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by unicast reversepath View Post
Yosemite, eh? Does a little window pop up and call you a "gol-durned idjit galoot" when something crashes or you make an error?
ebuddy

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2014, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by unicast reversepath View Post
You mean idiot speak, you can keep it.
I'd rather use the Ahwahneechee language of Miwok!
The Indians who live in Yosemite.

hayesk
Jun 1, 2014, 01:02 PM

Laminar, do you think anyone outside of mac geekdom knows that Yosemite was the code name for the B&W G3?

And DarkStarRed, I think you missed the point of unicast's joke.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2014, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by DarkStarRed View Post
You mean idiot speak, you can keep it.
I'd rather use the Ahwahneechee language of Miwok!
The Indians who live in Yosemite.
You've never heard of Yosemite Sam?

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2014, 02:48 PM

I agree with DarkStarRed on one point: if they don't already support it, it would be nice if Apple added Ahwahneechee to its supported languages with the release of Yosemite. First Nations people would be appreciative of more native language support in OS X.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

testudo
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2014, 01:15 PM

Remember when product nicknames were just internal names to define a product (since marketing would define what the public name would be)?

I'd be far happier if they spent their time worrying about things like getting Mail to work reliably and stop changing the UI to make it harder and harder to see anything (really, did anyone actually complain about the look of 10.6.8)?

Oh, but I fear they're going to Windows 8'ify the UI (oh, sorry, iOSify the UI) and make everything look 'simple'. Of course, iOS 7 looks 100 times worse than previous versions, but that's OK.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 2, 2014, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
Laminar, do you think anyone outside of mac geekdom knows that Yosemite was the code name for the B&W G3?
I hadn't thought of that !1!

Ham Sandwich
Jun 3, 2014, 03:01 PM

Well this is a dark day. The candy-bar mocked-up OS X that we all laughed at months ago was actually right.

Forum Links
Forum Rules