Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Will VPC 5 work in 10.2?

Will VPC 5 work in 10.2?
Viv Savage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2002, 02:34 PM

I can't find any discussions on this, and it's not mentioned on the Connectix website. Has anybody tried 5.04 in 10.2? Is there any performance gain?

Thanks

memento
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2002, 07:51 PM

It works but I don't really see any performance gain. There's a little bug on my machine at least. If I hide VPC it will, over the course of 8 hours or so, eat up ALL my disk space. Must be a memory leak because it's all VM. If I don't hide it, it can run for days.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Eddies in the aether
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2002, 10:54 PM

Originally posted by memento:
It works but I don't really see any performance gain. There's a little bug on my machine at least. If I hide VPC it will, over the course of 8 hours or so, eat up ALL my disk space. Must be a memory leak because it's all VM. If I don't hide it, it can run for days.
It does not seem to make any difference for me as to whether vpc is hidden or frontmost, the hard drive just grinds away making swap files (I had 11 last time before I killed vpc). This is with 512MB of RAM out of 1GB given to vpc.

oranjdisc
Senior User
Aug 18, 2002, 11:00 AM

Boy am I glad to hear others having problems. I posted the same questions to the Connectix web site about the app churning the hard drive and basically bringing my system to a hault if left alone for longer than a few hours. I really hope they fix it...

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2002, 09:09 AM

Yep. VPC 5.04 runs like crap on X.2. At first I thought it was because in X.1 the disk image was on a separate partition, as opposed to mine now where they're on the same partition, but that shouldn't make a huge difference since both partitions are on the same disk drive anyway.

This is with a disk image that was shut down from X.1 and copied into X.2. Full screen mode most of the time, 256 out of 640 allocated to VPC on an iBook.

I do note that the installation did have a problem with one ....kext file, which X.2 claims is too old and should be updated.

Fortunately, this was just for testing - I use Microsoft Remote Desktop. Much faster for general usage. In fact, web surfing is as fast or faster than OS X on a few websites.

Viv Savage  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2002, 10:25 AM

---> BUMP| Now that 10.2 is officially out, anymore 10.2 / VPC experiences out there? My 10.2 order is still "Being Assembled" by Apple. I preordered 2 wks ago, and paid extra for 2 day shipping.

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 28, 2002, 12:07 PM

booting up now....

BZ

Viv Savage  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2002, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by BZ:
booting up now....

BZ
And ?!?!?!?! :o

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2002, 06:08 PM

I have used VPC on many various 10.2 builds and have never once had any problems with it.
The server made a boo boo. (403)

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 28, 2002, 06:51 PM

Works fine.

10.2 and VPC 5.04 / W98

BZ

Originally posted by Viv Savage:

And ?!?!?!?! :o

Viv Savage  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2002, 08:25 PM

Thanks, BZ! I will be using Win98 also.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2002, 08:58 PM

Still grinds away at the disk. But I only have 256 ram also...
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2002, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by juanvaldes:
Did the same for me - 640 MB.

nelliott
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2002, 05:54 AM

Originally posted by juanvaldes:
Switch audio off in vpc global preferences. If that doesn't work try switching off the soundblaster drivers in windows.

Apparently its a known bug which is causing vpc to write error messages to the system log constantly.

Eddies in the aether
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2002, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by nelliott:

Switch audio off in vpc global preferences. If that doesn't work try switching off the soundblaster drivers in windows.

Apparently its a known bug which is causing vpc to write error messages to the system log constantly.
According to a Connectix post on Macintouch closing the Virtual PC List window also helps. This and turning off sound in the virtual pc have stopped the rapidly replicating swap files on my PB.

Betox
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2002, 05:55 PM

I have VPC 5.0.4 with Windows 2000 Pro installed and it's very speedy...
--
QuickSilver 800 Mhz / iBook 500 Mhz / Original 5GB iPod / iPod Shuffle 512 / Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger >> And it IS snappy!

Forum Links
Forum Rules