Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My MacBook Isn't Flaking HELP!

My MacBook Isn't Flaking HELP!
hadocon
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2006, 11:59 AM

Hey everyone. I bought a BlackBook on the first or second day after they were released. I bought it at the education store and upgraded to the 120GB HDD and added 2GB RAM myself. I'm getting a bit worried now though as I have had _zero_ issues with it so far. No flaking, no insane overheating, no warping, no stuck pixels, no whine, no moo, no pink screen, no keyboard letters rubbing off, no iSight problems.... Maybe more, I just can't remember all of my non-issues, there are just so many!

I'm worried because with all of the reports I am hearing about how the BlackBook is seriously flawed I'm wondering if perhaps my BlackBook has put some sort of spell on me (being black and all...)? This spell is perhaps making me beleive that it is fine when it's really not?

Do you think that wen my Applecare runs out I will suddenly have the spell lifted and I will finally be able to see all the flaws?

HELP!
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2006, 12:04 PM

Hahaha.... hillarious.... erm.....ye....
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2006, 02:20 PM

First BlackBook I ever saw in person has the paint flaking issue, and soon enough yours will too.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

hadocon  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2006, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by chrisutley
First BlackBook I ever saw in person has the paint flaking issue, and soon enough yours will too.
I hope so. I feel left out.
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2006, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by hadocon
I hope so. I feel left out.
I get the sarcasm, man. Hell, I even thought it was Chicken Little'ish until I saw one in person with flaking paint. Granted it wasn't horrible or anything, but clearly paint was already coming off the device. So with all that said, what's your angle? Are you trying to suggest that paint flaking off is no big deal, or perhaps you think it's an urban myth? What's the deal?

hadocon  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2006, 05:16 PM

I get the sarcasm, man. Hell, I even thought it was Chicken Little'ish until I saw one in person with flaking paint. Granted it wasn't horrible or anything, but clearly paint was already coming off the device. So with all that said, what's your angle? Are you trying to suggest that paint flaking off is no big deal, or perhaps you think it's an urban myth? What's the deal?
It's a combination of both feelings. Of all the BlackBooks I have encountered (maybe 7?) none of them have had any reported/visible issues. All owners were satisfied... That said, I do realize that the tools we use are going to be affected (perhaps negatively) by our use of them. I call it "patina". In other words, I don't fear the battle-scars my 'Book will eventially receive. it's the price of actually using it I figure.

Although, for the minority of those who actaully have serious issues with their BlackBooks, I feel your pain (I endured 3 eayrs with a lemon G4 PB 1.25Ghz - farking white spots!).

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2006, 05:52 PM

I'm sure you'll find many more people who don't have flaking MacBooks. And hey good job spotting big foot. I'm proud of you.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2006, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Hi I'm Ben
I'm sure you'll find many more people who don't have flaking MacBooks. And hey good job spotting big foot. I'm proud of you.
As far as finding more people who don't have flaking MacBooks, that may be true for the first month or two. However, I'm guessing this is not a defect that presents itself in SOME MB's, it probably will show up all of them sooner or later. I can't prove that, just a hunch...

As for Bigfoot, he wants to know why you never called him the next day like you promised???

Forum Links
Forum Rules