Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > The 12.1" Screen - How is it?

The 12.1" Screen - How is it?
fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2002, 03:15 AM

I am about days from buying my iBook; but I wanted to know how the 12.1" screen is; as far as if it's too small or not? I've used the iBook a little bit at The Apple Store in the Mall of America, but unfortunatley I was curious what you thought of it?

For those of you who have the 12.1" iBook; do you find yourself wanting more space? Do you find that it is too small, for what you are doing? Please list what you are doing?

For those who love it; what do you use your computer for?

flatcatch
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2002, 04:33 AM

I love the smaller 12.1" LCD... it makes for a very nice, compact, portable machine. You'd get fatter pixels with a 14" iBook, but otherwise have the same resolution to work with. Personally I don't have any trouble at all with the smaller pixel size.

However, since I have enabled monitor spanning on my iBook 800 (I'm not calling it a hack since Apple is the one who disabled it in the first place) I have been enjoying 1280 x 1024 on my external monitor. I could go higher if my external monitor supported it. I think I have the best of both worlds though: a small, very cool iBook that travels well (or sits on my lap if I feel like browsing the web on the couch), which can also function as a complete desktop machine (external monitor with higher res, keyboard, mouse).

I think my new 800 may be my favorite, most versatile (read: not as fragile as the TiBook) Mac I've ever owned. In fact, make that my favorite since the Apple //c.

Keep the rubber side down!

gonadman
Nov 18, 2002, 07:55 AM

I have an iBook 600 12.1" and the screen is really fantastic. It's clear and precise, even at an angle. I was a bit worried that it wouldn't be big enough because my eyesight isn't really the best, but I haven't had any trouble at all.

I am going to buy a new iBook at the end of the month and it will definately be a 12.1" model. It's highly portable and fits into my backpack just as it is... any bigger (and heavier) and it wouldn't be as much fun to carry around.

Enjoy your new iBook!

jimsmac
Nov 18, 2002, 09:37 AM

Have the iBook 600 with 12.1" screen and it's great. This is our only computer as well and don't have any problems at all with the screen size.

Higher resolution would be welcome but would make everything too small on this size screen.
James
eMac 1.25, iBook 600, Airport Extreme, iPod G4 20gb

OreoCookie
Nov 18, 2002, 10:11 AM

I first had a 12.1" iBook, now typing on a 14". I have the experience of both sizes and I prefer the 12.1" model, even so much that I have already sold mine in order to purchase another 12.1" model.

The screen is much brighter, the size is better IMHO (2.2 kg, simply great).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

proux
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2002, 11:07 AM

I have a 12' and a 14'. Somehow I always use the 12', same resolution, smaller pixels, perfect overall size package plus great portability. But I also have a cube with a 15' LCD

fibroptikl  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2002, 01:13 PM

Thanks guys, I think I've gotten rid of any worries on the size of the monitor. I don't game anyway, nor do I run Photoshop extensively.

Off to the bank now.

-Q-
Nov 18, 2002, 02:53 PM

Enjoy the new 12". I've loved mine since I bought it last year. The compact size and weight of the laptop combined with that beautiful screen make for a very good laptop.

And the new 800 with 32 MB VRAM really helps with OS X!

sweetsdream
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2002, 07:12 PM

I have two 12.1' iBooks and I love them. The 14' and 12.1' have the same resolution so unless you have bad eyesight get the 12.1'. I travel every week and I love my iBook. I never shut it down, I just close it and get on a plane. With the money you save on the 12.1' get more memory or an Airport card.
Cheers,
SweetsDream

Forum Links
Forum Rules