Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Pocket PC and iBook

Pocket PC and iBook
sweetsdream
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2002, 03:03 PM

My company just sent me a Toshiba Pocket PC (I guess they don't rember buying me an iBook) and I would like to sync it with my laptop. I downloaded the trial of Pocket Mac and I couldn't get it to work.

Has anyone tried this yet?
Cheers,
SweetsDream

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2002, 03:20 PM

Was it the e310, e330, e335 or one of the wireless ones?

sweetsdream  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2002, 03:41 PM

Its the e740 with 802.11b built in and it works great on my Airport network.
Cheers,
SweetsDream

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 24, 2002, 12:27 AM

I would strongly recommend you stay away from PocketPC. I bought this product and it hasn't worked properly yet. If you decide to try this product, make sure you backup everything you are going to sync.

torifile
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2002, 12:37 AM

Originally posted by Back up 15 and punt:
I would strongly recommend you stay away from PocketPC. I bought this product and it hasn't worked properly yet. If you decide to try this product, make sure you backup everything you are going to sync.
Do you mean PocketMac? If so, see my thread in this forum about my tale of woe. It worked out ok b/c I did have a recent backup, but it could have been ugly.

To the original poster: you can get your e740 to work through VPC. I did it fine with VPC 5 over USB and airport. Go to discussion.brighthand.com and look for some posts by me detailing what I had to do to get it to work. It's completely doable. I'd recommend getting VPC 6 as it's much faster and might be bearable on your iBook.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 24, 2002, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by Back up 15 and punt:
Uh. I bought my PocketPC a year ago (iPaq 3650), and it's been working perfectly ever since. I use it almost every day, and it's leaps and bounds better-for-your-dollar than a Palm. Never lost one bit of data. Ever. Wardriving is fun with it, too .

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 24, 2002, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by torifile:

Do you mean PocketMac? If so, see my thread in this forum about my tale of woe. It worked out ok b/c I did have a recent backup, but it could have been ugly.

To the original poster: you can get your e740 to work through VPC. I did it fine with VPC 5 over USB and airport. Go to discussion.brighthand.com and look for some posts by me detailing what I had to do to get it to work. It's completely doable. I'd recommend getting VPC 6 as it's much faster and might be bearable on your iBook.
Yes, I meant PocketMac. Sorry about the mistake.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 24, 2002, 02:55 PM

Hm. That doesn't sound good. Have you emailed the developer about the problems? I know that it works great here on the several Pocket PC's that we use with the TiBook.

art_director
Professional Poster
Dec 24, 2002, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by torifile:

i'm using pocket mac pro 2.0 to sync my siemens sx56 from at&t with my powerbook ti. during the last beta there were a number of issues. this new version of pm pro (2.0) is great. it syncs all my contacts, calendar and notes to and from entourage flawlessly. i've also used it to add apps and themes to my siemens sx56.

what sorts of troubles are you having with the demo? are you using a firewall? if so, see the notes on firewall configuration. you can also try pocket mac tech support, they are great. in fact, i would say their tech support is better than apple, adobe, quark, umax, hp, siemens, epson AND microsoft all put together. (i speak from experience with all these tech support examples.)

one note about pocket pc vs. palm: i was a palm user for four years and i swore by the platform. but, after having tasted the power of the ppc, i would NEVER go back to a palm device. imo the two types of devices should never appear be compared.

kodiakbr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2002, 05:07 PM

I know that this should probably be another thread, but I can't help but be curious about the PPC. I am contemplating getting a new Dell Axim PPC in January. (And dumping my Palm Tungsten T)

Don't get me wrong, I love the Tungsten, but Apple and Palm need to get their stuff in order quickly. I've been rapidly running out of patience with both of them.

I haven't been able to reliably sync since I bought it. (The cradle is fine, as well as everything else.) Palm says it's because of Jaguar and Apple says it's Palm's problem.

My only major reservation about switching is applications like Pocket Quicken. I don't know what I would do without that program. We as Mac users don't seem to have much of a choice than to stick with a Palm.

Unless anyone can help me out with ideas. Sorry, if this should have been posted elsewhere. It just seemed to fit in.

Does PocketMac work like Active Sync where you just plug it in and it's always synced up..? Or do you have to start the sync process like a Palm.

Thanks

Scott

Forum Links
Forum Rules