Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > About to get 17" PB. Help me out a little.

About to get 17" PB. Help me out a little.
Jbroad572
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2003, 02:17 PM

Ok, I'm getting ready to purchase my laptop. Here's what I put together so far. 1 17" PB, 1 10gb Ipod, 1 HP DeskJet 5650 Inkjet Printer, and the APP. My question is is the APP necessary, because I could save that $239 and get some speakers and pocket the rest. What do you guys think? Also, if I bought the Ipod and the printer I would qualify for an additional $300 rebate on top of the educational discount rate? I'm so excited that it's about to happen. I was looking at their JBL Creature 2.1 speakers any reviews on these? I would like an external source for speakers, unless the speakers on the laptop are suitable. Ok, I'm listening.

sweetsdream
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2003, 07:00 PM

I for one think the APP is worth it, especially on a laptop. You don't need to buy Apple care now if you don't want (You have one year to add it). The only downfall to not getting it is that you may need to pay $49 to open a trouble ticket with Apple after 90 days. However, the money will be refunded if you have a hardware problem and not software. My children 7 and 4 use an iBook that has been to Apple four times now and they even replaced or fixed things they said they wouldn't (like the hinge and rubber feet).

I would wait to buy the APP until at least 30 or more days to make sure your system runs well. Once you activate your APP number with a certain serial number, it's hard to switch to another. You may get a lemon machine that you may just want to exchange.
Cheers,
SweetsDream

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 9, 2003, 07:16 PM

AppleCare is definately worth it. I have had great experience with it.

So, do get it, but you dont have to get it immediately. You have until the end of your initial 12 month warranty to buy it and register it. After that you are out of luck.

No matter when you do get it though, it will only extend your warranty to 3 years from the purchase date. So if you get it immediately, it is good for 3 years. If you get it at the end of your first year, it will be good for two years. If you wait till the end of your first year to get it, you will still have Apple usual 12 month warranty to fall back on incase anything goes wrong, so you dont have to be worried about getting hung out to dry.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

finniii
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2003, 11:52 PM

Listen to the other replies -They're right on the money. Apple Care has saved my bacon (and my wallet) more than a few times over the years.

HasanDaddy
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2003, 09:26 AM

Apple Care has saved me a couple times too - I recommend it

the speakers on a 17" are already great, but yes, the JBL ones are awesome!

buy AppleCare from MacSolutions.com, where its $250, unless there's another place with the same price?
"Government is not the solution, its the problem" --- Ronald Reagan

Forum Links
Forum Rules