Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > New Bluetooth Pro Mouse & Keyboard

New Bluetooth Pro Mouse & Keyboard
DigitalDNA
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2003, 05:03 PM

Any chance Apple will introduce a new bluetooth pro keyboard and mouse anytime soon? In the past, I had the wired pro versions and really liked them but upon seeing the BT keyboard and mouse, I was really disappointed. Both seem really cheap much like the current keyboard that is shipping with the G5.
"Wise man say: Number of posts does not equate credibility when you post 50 times to a single thread."

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 27, 2003, 08:14 PM

Only Apple knows for sure (and even within Apple, only a few people).

I for one think it to be highly unlikely.

tooki

wuntrikpony
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2003, 12:09 AM

It is very unlikely that they will come out with new ones.

I would recommend getting Logitech or Microsoft bluetooth mouse anyway. They are much better designed and have ::gasp:: more than 1 button.

DigitalDNA  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2003, 12:41 AM

Yeah I was looking at the new BT keyboard/mouse packages from Logitec but it looks like it came with its own BT transmitter that plugs into the computer. I'm wondering if it will work with the built in BT for the AluBooks.

Any ideas?
"Wise man say: Number of posts does not equate credibility when you post 50 times to a single thread."

drews85
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2003, 12:45 AM

i would think bluetooth is bluetooth youd just have to do some configuring but im not 100 percent sure

DigitalDNA  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2003, 12:47 AM

unfortunately I dont think thats the case. I have read people not being able to get BT headphones to work on macs. I still think there is some kind of additional support that has to be built into the system but I could be wrong.

jimf_81
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2003, 11:06 AM

I got the Apple bluetooth mouse and keyboard for my 17" PB, and they work great. The only problem is the single mouse button.

Why Steve? Why?

iDORK
Forum Regular
Dec 29, 2003, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by DigitalDNA:
Yeah I was looking at the new BT keyboard/mouse packages from Logitec but it looks like it came with its own BT transmitter that plugs into the computer. I'm wondering if it will work with the built in BT for the AluBooks.

Any ideas?
Yes! The Logitech DiNovo keyboard and MX900 will connect to the AluBooks integrated Bluetooth!

DigitalDNA  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 29, 2003, 11:31 PM

Sweet! Do you have these? If so would love to see pics of them up close and personal

Originally posted by iDORK:
Yes! The Logitech DiNovo keyboard and MX900 will connect to the AluBooks integrated Bluetooth!

mrgaskell
Senior User
Dec 31, 2003, 02:49 AM

Does anyone know how to configure my Mac (12" PB Rev. B) so that it will recognize the mouse upon waking from sleep? I have to try to connect to the device to be able to use my mouse after putting my laptop to sleep.
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2003, 04:21 AM

What's your question exactly. What do you mean you have to try to connect to the mouse?

I have the wireless keyboard and mouse and they both work perfectly with my 12" Powerbook, before and after sleep they are auto-recognized, and during sleep they'll wake the machine.

Chris

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2003, 10:43 AM

Even the Microsloth Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard work with the Mac. It doesn't say on the box but I have heard from first hand experience of a user.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

mrgaskell
Senior User
Jan 1, 2004, 01:25 AM

Hmmm... Mine isn't auto recognizing after waking up. Maybe I'll try to re-pair the two.
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 1, 2004, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by mrgaskell:
Hmmm... Mine isn't auto recognizing after waking up. Maybe I'll try to re-pair the two.
I believe you would have to mark it as a "favorite" in the bluetooth setup panel for the device to be auto-connected after wakeup. Also upgrade the bluetooth firmware if you haven't done so already.

iDORK
Forum Regular
Jan 1, 2004, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by DigitalDNA:
Sweet! Do you have these? If so would love to see pics of them up close and personal
Yes! Here is one:

More pics here!

I use the diNovo setup with my XP machine and the Powerbook!

tacojohnellenich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2004, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by Sophus:
I believe you would have to mark it as a "favorite" in the bluetooth setup panel for the device to be auto-connected after wakeup. Also upgrade the bluetooth firmware if you haven't done so already.
Yeah- make sure you update both the bluetooth firmware and software- then to wake and pair the device click on the mouse..

I got the apple bluetooth mouse for christmas and LOVE it! Although I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't pair the 2 after waking from sleep. But with the firmware and software installed everything works perfectly now...

Love it and I'm soon to go pick up the keyboad once I get back to the apple store.

Rickster
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2004, 05:01 AM

Hmpf. Looked all over the place, and nobody seems to make a modestly sized, ambidextrous Bluetooth mouse -- they're all right-handed monstrosities. Oh well, give it time, I guess.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2004, 11:05 AM

Apple's mouse is ambidextrous.

Chris

turboSPE
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2004, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by iDORK:
Yes! Here is one:

More pics here!

I use the diNovo setup with my XP machine and the Powerbook!
Do both the keyboard and number pad work without any problems?

turboSPE

iDORK
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2004, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by turboSPE:
Do both the keyboard and number pad work without any problems?

turboSPE
The keyboard and mouse is recognized under OS X and they work fine. The media pad (number pad) is not recognized under OS X.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2004, 02:46 PM

So I hear the bluetooth battery life is really poor. How long on average does it last for you with how many hours a day usage?

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2004, 02:27 AM

any smaller "travel" sized blue tooth mouse? ... would be nice with my pbook12. the usb ports are on the left and my microsoft travel optical is wired .. and it's short wire limits movement and gets in the way

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2004, 09:30 AM

My Apple bluetooth mouse batteries last about 2-3 months, and I use it about 2 hours per day. I almost never turn the mouse off, it just sleeps.

Chris

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2004, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by chabig:
My Apple bluetooth mouse batteries last about 2-3 months, and I use it about 2 hours per day. I almost never turn the mouse off, it just sleeps.

Chris
So I guess anyone who uses it 8 hours a day is screwed. Just like I thought.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2004, 06:14 PM

I wouldn't say that. So you use the mouse 8 hours per day for a month, then change the batteries. That's not so hard.

Chris

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2004, 07:19 PM

That's what you buy rechargables for -- especially the kind that can recharge in 15 minutes battery low? *pops batteries into wall outlet brick*

The only reason I haven't purchased a nice wireless mouse is aside from the apple one, they're all 3" high at the least, which gives me nasty wrist pain -- not to mention I don't feel like spending $50 on a mouse I don't like (50 bucks is 50 bucks! You could get a set of clothes or a nice pair of shoes for $50.)
Aloha

quadraphonic
Jun 27, 2004, 12:49 AM

Here's a small BT mouse WITH scroll wheel and 2nd button.

The MacAlly BTMouseJR...
http://www.macally.com/spec/usb/inpu...ce/btmini.html
-quadraphonic
12" Rev C Powerbook G4, ComboDrive, 60GB HD, 256MB RAM

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Jun 27, 2004, 07:21 AM

Originally posted by Link:
That's what you buy rechargables for -- especially the kind that can recharge in 15 minutes battery low? *pops batteries into wall outlet brick*
Are you sure that's possible? Devices that transmit radio signals normally don't work well/at all if you use rechargable batteries, as the voltage difference significantly affects their sensitive tuning (regular batteries are 1.5V and rechargables are 1.2V - thus a typical two battery setup will be 3V for regular and only 2.4V for rechargable). Also bear in mind rechargables have far less current (though they've improved drastically over recent years) so will go flat far quicker than a regular battery would.

That said, rechargables rock

Forum Links
Forum Rules