Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Voip?

Voip?
Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2004, 01:51 PM

Is anybody here using VOIP at home with a Mac? If so, tell me about your success or failure. I'm considering the plunge.
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

sweetsdream
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2004, 03:58 PM

I use Skype and it works great! You can even make calls to a landline for cheap.
Cheers,
SweetsDream

Krusty
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2004, 08:36 PM

Thanks for the tip, Skype looks great !! Have you used the conference calling feature at all ??

sweetsdream
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2004, 03:27 PM

Conference calling doesn't work with the OS X version yet.
Cheers,
SweetsDream

OreoCookie
Oct 15, 2004, 05:02 PM

I use Skype frequently. It works perfectly with quality better than telephone. No annoying lag, even to Japan or the States (from Europe) and voice group chat works fine if you can make something out of the noise of several people talking

Oh, sorry, I used conference calling on the PC version only.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2004, 08:00 PM

I've been using voip for quite a while.

I use free world diallup and nikotel, both from my mac and from a sipura phone adapter. Free world diallup is very useful for me, I live in Borneo, but most of the family live in the UK. There is a local rate number they can dial that allows them to dial my fwd account and rings the phone here. I can also call freephone numbers around the world which is useful for customer support issues etc.

Nikotel is what I use to phone regular landlines and costs about US2c/minute which is vastly cheaper than the local phone company.

Just experimenting with skype, so can't really tell you much about it yet. Looks good though.

Only ever use the regular phone for local calls nowadays.

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2004, 10:00 AM

Originally posted by Freeflyer:
I've been using voip for quite a while.

I use free world diallup and nikotel, both from my mac and from a sipura phone adapter. Free world diallup is very useful for me, I live in Borneo, but most of the family live in the UK. There is a local rate number they can dial that allows them to dial my fwd account and rings the phone here. I can also call freephone numbers around the world which is useful for customer support issues etc.

Nikotel is what I use to phone regular landlines and costs about US2c/minute which is vastly cheaper than the local phone company.

Just experimenting with skype, so can't really tell you much about it yet. Looks good though.

Only ever use the regular phone for local calls nowadays.

J.
What do you use for internet access? Just a voice line and DSL from your local telco?

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 17, 2004, 01:07 AM

Originally posted by danbrew:
What do you use for internet access? Just a voice line and DSL from your local telco?
Exactly that. My dsl is only 256, so I can't have downloads going when I want to use voip, and just browsing creates problems. I'm looking at a router that does shaping and quality monitoring.

DSL is all you need for voip. It rocks.

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

Forum Links
Forum Rules