Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Just ordered my PowerBook 15"

Just ordered my PowerBook 15"
sweetsdream
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2004, 11:55 AM

I am so excited! I ordered my 15" PowerBook from Apple this morning. I ordered it BTO with 128M VRAM 1GB system RAM and the 5400 rpm drive. I can't help but check the order status every 30 minutes and it says it's open with an estimated ship date on or before 11/04/2204.

I am wondering if anybody else has ordered a BTO PowerBook recently and how long it took to get to them.
Cheers,
SweetsDream

mrmister
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 12:45 PM

That is exactly the system I am typing on right now--you won't be disappointed.

This one took 4 days to ship.

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2004, 01:35 PM

I walked into the Apple Store in Durham, NC and picked up their 'Ultimate' Powerbook package. They had a few 15" Powerbooks that have the 128 VRAM, I Gig of RAM, and the 5400 RPM HD. I'm also typing on mine. You'll love yours.

sweetsdream  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2004, 02:13 PM

I have an Apple store here in Tampa, FL but they didn't have any deals like that. I did spend about 20 minutes playing with the 12" and 15" trying to decide which one to get. I think I made the right choice with the 15" since I don't travel as much as I used to.
Cheers,
SweetsDream

Voch
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 03:10 PM

Congrats. You will LOVE the screen.

Voch

drmcnutt
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2004, 07:30 PM

I just got one last week. Refurb which I thought was the base $2499 model but came with 512MB in one slot, 128MB video and the 5400 80GB drive which BTO would be $2749, I paid $2099, it looks awesome and brand new. I was waiting for a revision, but even if one is announced soon there may be a delay in getting it, so I took the plunge. Awesome machine.

DRM

narkoreptik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2004, 08:00 PM

Nice choice.

Typing on my new 15" 1.5ghz! $1899, but no BTO options. I figure I can put in a faster HD and put the current 80GB in a FW enclosure sometime in the future. I was waiting for some update, price drop, news, something, anything. I had the 1GB Legacy RAM already purchased. Now I'm just looking for a good mouse. I'd prefer rechargeable and wireless, meaning no wires going from a docking station to the powerbook.

basaltrock
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2004, 12:06 AM

Originally posted by narkoreptik:
Typing on my new 15" 1.5ghz! $1899, but no BTO options.
Where'd you get it for that cheap?

narkoreptik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2004, 12:41 AM

Sorry, I should have mentioned it in my post. Education pricing special through my university.

For those that can't get education pricing, Amazon would be a great way to purchase Apple hardware right now, especially if you have an Amazon card.

Great credit card, and I have no affiliation with Amazon. $25 gift card for each 2500 points you earn. Each $1 is a point, purchases through Amazon are triple points. So a 15" PB would give you almost $75 back. If you don't have the card, registering gets you a $30 gift card. Plus, easy A9.com 1.5% discount.

examples,
15" 1.5ghz...
$2349-$75-$30-$37.66(1.507%) = $2206.34
15" 1.33ghz...
$1849-$50-$30-$30.12(1.507%) = $1738.88

No shipping cost, and no tax in most states.
I'm sure most of you know of macprices.com too.

(this post sounds like something that would be on fatwallet)

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2004, 09:58 AM

I've been using my 15" with the same configuation almost religiously since I got it. An absolutely great machine. I remember having the FedEx page on auto tab and I would check it constantly.

Welcome to the PowerBook family!!

Still glad I made the switch!
I gotta have more cowbell.

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2004, 10:26 AM

I got a 12" BTO in September and it took no time to get. I upgraded the HD to 80 gig 5400rpm and love this thing.

congrats on the 15", I'd love to have one of those!!!

sweetsdream  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2004, 11:59 AM

I had a very hard time deciding between the 12" and 15" as I have an 12" iBook now and I'm used to the size of it. What made me choose the PowerBook was the screen. I put the 12" and 15" side by side at the local Apple store and I stared at the screens for about 20 minutes. I looked at different angles, played with brightness settings and opened multiple windows. I use Expose on my iBook and it works great on the smaller screen but it is nice to have programs open or a web sight open and be able to read the screen with out scrolling.

BTW I checked this mornig and the status hasn't changed yet.
Cheers,
SweetsDream

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2004, 05:02 PM

Very nice system.. you will love it.
I used to have the original PowerBook G4/400 back in those days.. the screen was just amazing.. but later I sold it and got myself a dual PowerMac G4 1.25 (FW800).

Forum Links
Forum Rules