Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > RIP Steve Jobs

RIP Steve Jobs (Page 2)
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2011, 09:13 PM

He changed the world. A lot.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2011, 09:15 PM

Sniff...RIP Steve. Amazing how much one man contributed to us all. Forever grateful for Steve...
2002 Mac Mini i5 8GB 256GB SSD
2013 Macbook Air 4GB/128GB
iPad Mini A7 32GB

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2011, 09:26 PM

I didn't think it was going to happen this soon.

He lived a good life. He did more with his time on Earth then most people could even dream of.

His was a life well lived.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2011, 09:32 PM

Saddened beyond words! An incalculable loss!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2011, 09:34 PM

Statement by the President on the Passing of Steve Jobs

Michelle and I are saddened to learn of the passing of Steve Jobs. Steve was among the greatest of American innovators – brave enough to think differently, bold enough to believe he could change the world, and talented enough to do it.

By building one of the planet’s most successful companies from his garage, he exemplified the spirit of American ingenuity. By making computers personal and putting the internet in our pockets, he made the information revolution not only accessible, but intuitive and fun. And by turning his talents to storytelling, he has brought joy to millions of children and grownups alike. Steve was fond of saying that he lived every day like it was his last. Because he did, he transformed our lives, redefined entire industries, and achieved one of the rarest feats in human history: he changed the way each of us sees the world.

The world has lost a visionary. And there may be no greater tribute to Steve’s success than the fact that much of the world learned of his passing on a device he invented. Michelle and I send our thoughts and prayers to Steve’s wife Laurene, his family, and all those who loved him.
We should honor Steve Jobs by living each day as if it was our last. It was his driving force and it did great things for him. I'm sure if we all lived as if it was our last day we would all do better then we do now.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2011, 09:38 PM

Thank you for the impact you've had on my life. Rest in Peace Mr. Jobs.

calverson
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2011, 10:04 PM

The only reason we are on this forum is because Steve lived.

He changed all of our lives–and I feel like I have lost a friend. I think most users of this forum feel that way.

F*ck Cancer man, F*ck it.

freudling
Banned
Oct 5, 2011, 10:13 PM

I can't believe this.

Jesus ****xng christ.

calverson
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2011, 10:14 PM

From the BBC obituary:

Steve Jobs was a one off; a man who had total belief in his own abilities and a shortage of patience for anyone who failed to agree with him.

His great gifts were an ability to second guess the market and an eye for well designed and innovative products that everyone would buy.

"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them," he once said. "By the time you get it built, they'll want something new."

-Q-
Oct 5, 2011, 10:16 PM

I haven't the words to express the impact his vision has had on my life and the influence it's had on my expectations for how things should work.

I'm sorry he didn't have longer.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2011, 10:22 PM

The first line of that BBC obituary is off. There are many, many people who have total belief in their own ability and no patience for those who disagree, its just that most of them are wrong. Steve was hardly ever wrong.

There are plenty of people I like, but very few who I genuinely admire and most of them died before I was even born.

One in six billion.

RIP.
( Last edited by Waragainstsleep; Oct 5, 2011 at 10:31 PM. )
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2011, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
We should honor Steve Jobs by living each day as if it was our last. It was his driving force and it did great things for him. I'm sure if we all lived as if it was our last day we would all do better then we do now.
Absolutely. Very well said, Athens.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2011, 10:26 PM

best hippie evar

simonjames
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2011, 10:30 PM

Well, that ruined Thursday.

Actually, I am happy and thankful that we had the opportunity to be influenced by this remarkable man. His achievements make him stand out - he was one shining flame standing out in billions of lives.
this sig intentionally left blank

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2011, 10:42 PM

His accomplishments are obviously many. But he's also left better products for dead than most companies will ever come up with. He knew what to get behind and what wasn't going to work. RIP, Steve.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2011, 11:08 PM

I can't begin to enumerate the ways in which Jobs & Apple have changed my life -- I was in graphic design and production art during the transition from traditional art to digital, and I still make a fair portion of my living jockeying a mouse on a Mac to this day. I was thinking about it a little while ago. One of my best clients is in New Zealand, and he sends me Illustrator files via email. After we've run the film and set them up on the press, I'll put a t-shirt on a mannequin, take a digital photo of it, and email to him as a proof. There's no way to even imagine us having a fruitful business relationship without the technology that makes this exchange possible. I doubt I would have had the interest in teaching myself Quark, Photoshop, etcetera, if I hadn't fallen in love with my first Mac, and I would have likely fallen by the wayside in a rapidly evolving business. So thanks, steve for my livelihood.

My best friend, who works at Dell but invests in Apple, called me tonight at about 7:00 with the news. I took the call on an iPhone.

I haven't been by the ol' 'NN luonge in a while, but I came back here tonight, because this was a place where I learned an awful lot about Macs back when I bought my Cube, and OS X was new on the scene, so it seems like a sort of home - like visiting an old home town. I just automatically dropped by, I suppose in search of a little solace. Steve Jobs has been around for so long that he's just kind of always been there, making great stuff happen, and now suddenly he's not. I'm pretty sad about this. He was too young, and his work was not complete. I'm also sorry for his kids & wife who lost a good husband and father, & my heart goes out to them.

And yeah, that Stanford commencement address includes a good dose of words to live by. Not only was he hyper-intelligent, insightful & driven, he was also very wise. Godspeed, Mister Jobs.

Hi there, scaughttypants!

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2011, 12:07 AM

iSad.

calverson
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2011, 12:38 AM

Remembering that I’ll be dead soon is the most important tool I’ve ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure — these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.
– Steve Jobs

source

stevyo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2011, 12:47 AM

I'm still in shock.... What will happen to Apple, Disney, and Pixar? The whole world has lost so much today...

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2011, 01:09 AM

With sadness in my heart and a tear in my eye, I watch and read tributes to Steve from all over the world.

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

calverson
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2011, 01:35 AM

It sucks that my children will grow up never knowing the excitement of "what will Steve present on stage today?"

I am sure Tim and the rest of the team will do a sterling job, but there is something just not quite right knowing that Steve isn't at the helm, driving the innovation.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2011, 01:44 AM

Gets me thinking that when he stepped down, he must have been really really sick.

Man, what a sad day. Godspeed Mr. Jobs!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2011, 01:49 AM

Yeah, he must have been. Jobs wanted to keep going as long as possible. Mortality sometimes really sucks. I'm sorry I never got to meet him personally.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2011, 02:20 AM

He changed the way we think about computing.
He changed the way we feel about phones.
He changed the way we listen to and buy music.
He changed the very perception of the technology industry.

Today I read a book on my iPad, edited photos on my MacBook Pro, talked and texted on my iPhone 4, programmed a light show on my church's iMac, and converted DVDs on our Mac Pro. Every single one of these devices bear Steve's fingerprints -- therefore, his guidance helped make our routine, daily tasks easier and more enjoyable.

Steve isn't gone. Steve is everywhere.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2011, 02:30 AM

Nassifer
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2011, 02:44 AM

WOW that is too much, now we will never be the same without his vision, we will miss you man

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2011, 02:49 AM

The day the Maestro died.

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

OreoCookie
Oct 6, 2011, 02:52 AM

Damn, that sucks. I have always hoped he was doing ok health-wise and had a few more years to live.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2011, 02:59 AM

Meeting Jobs was often a painful experience, from what I've seen, but I'm sure it was always unforgettable.

RIP Steve, the greatest business leader of our time. I wish you would have had another 30 years to finish what you started.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Oct 6, 2011, 03:10 AM

Things for us geeks would have been far less interesting had it not been for Steve Jobs.

He sold out in the end and went from "insanely great" to "insanely mediocre", and like Gates before him had learned: that's part of the secret.

Rest in peace Steve Jobs.

It was fun while it lasted, but some of the best things that Apple made and did were under John Sculley.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2011, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by Twilly Spree View Post
Things for us geeks would have been far less interesting had it not been for Steve Jobs.

He sold out in the end and went from "insanely great" to "insanely mediocre", and like Gates before him had learned: that's part of the secret.
We are to presume you've never used an iPhone.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2011, 04:04 AM

I'm devastated.
I've admired Steve Jobs for a long long time, and will continue to be inspired by him for the rest of my life, even tho I never met him.
The one reason for numerous valuable moments of communication, either with a loved one over some distance, or some stranger online, or the fact that my dad finally uses email, after tons of failed attempts with various devices, SJ will be missed immensely for a long time to come, and there's nothing that couldve prepared me or anyone, for this sorrow.
RIP

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2011, 04:05 AM

Just got to work and found out, I don't put TV or radio on in the morning so this was the first I knew about it.

R.I.P. Steve

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2011, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Twilly Spree View Post

Rest in peace Steve Jobs.

It was fun while it lasted, but some of the best things that Apple made and did were under John Sculley.
Thanks for the dumb opinion. There was nothing mediocre about Jobs' return; John Sculley drove the company into the ground.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2011, 05:14 AM

I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2011, 07:10 AM

The first shots outside the dev team taken with Photo Booth.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Oct 6, 2011, 07:10 AM

Steve was one of only a few people living in our time that I truly idolized, his dedication is unmatched and I doubt we will see a visionary like him for centuries. Thank you Steve for everything you believed in, you are a true inspiration and will be missed.
( Last edited by Kevin Bogues; Oct 6, 2011 at 07:47 AM. )

dav
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2011, 07:22 AM

“[...] the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes 'Awww!'" — kerouac
one post closer to five stars

finboy
Oct 6, 2011, 08:12 AM

Boing Boing � Blog Archive � Steve Jobs has died.

Cory Doctorow did something neat with his site.

SJ was a true pioneer. I know Woz was the tech guy, but Jobs was the vision guy, and the sell ice to Eskimos guy. His vision faltered sometimes, but without his cred just imagine where computing would still be today. He brought the 'Net to the masses by throwing down the gauntlet with the iMac, a very risky thing. He bought SoundJam so we could have iTunes, and he, alone, is responsible for plunging Mac users into the Unix world so he could make good on NextOS. To our benefit, of course.

And don't forget Pixar. Wow.

He will be missed. There are few others like him, for sure.

Ham Sandwich
Oct 6, 2011, 09:10 AM

Way too soon, only 56, he wasn't done yet. Poor guy aged so fast.

I see people leaving flowers at Apple Stores.

hart
Senior User
Oct 6, 2011, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Just sad. I always look on him as a shining light ahead of me in the path. I think I'll try to think of something insanely great to do today in tribute.

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Mortality sometimes really sucks.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2011, 11:47 AM

xkcd: Eternal Flame

Add another one to the list of tributes. Poignant while still being, well, xkcd.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2011, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
xkcd: Eternal Flame

Add another one to the list of tributes. Poignant while still being, well, xkcd.
That is very very nice.

Mouseover text for the win.

andi*pandi
Oct 6, 2011, 12:57 PM

I didn't notice the mouseover, thanks for pointing it out.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2011, 01:00 PM

The Woz had nice words to say:
Wozniak remembers Steve Jobs - The Washington Post

Newsweek advert, very ahead of its time considering word processing was sheer hell at the time:
Attached > ... > Apple Computer &gt Macintosh Newsweek advertisement
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2011, 01:04 PM

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2011, 01:12 PM

I noticed the seat, but thought it belonged to whomever was on stage the longest. I didn't notice whether it panned to the seat while different people were speaking.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

calverson
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2011, 01:37 PM

Eternal Flame

Alt text: There's always the hope that if you sit and watch for long enough, the beachball will vanish and the thing it interrupted will return.

ibook_steve
Oct 6, 2011, 01:43 PM

My wife wants me to stop posting about SJ on Facebook, so I guess now I will post something here.

When you are an Apple employee, even if you never meet Steve (which unfortunately I didn't), his presence is everywhere across the campus. You always hope to catch a glimpse of him, like a white whale. I was lucky enough to see him in the Apple cafeteria the first month I worked at Apple and at company meetings. He truly was a rock star and an idol to me.

I proudly worked for him for 5 years (2000-2005). I made the huge decision in the fall of 2000 (after an impromptu meeting with Apple HR at MacWorld NY that year) to uproot from my job at Sun (R.I.P.) in Burlington, MA out to California. My entire family and all my friends were on the east coast, but there was no way I could turn down a job at Apple, the opportunity to be in the presence of Steve and work on the creation of the most amazing products. I had dreamed of working there for much of the previous decade, and now my dream had become reality.

You could say that if it wasn't for Steve, I would never have come out to California and I never would have met my wife and I would not be expecting our first child this month. How do you honor someone who changed the world and changed your life, personally?

From one Steve to another, thank you so much, Steve, for everything.
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

l'ignorante
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2011, 02:09 PM

rest in peace Jobs, over the past 25 years I have spend a small fortune on many of your products of genius. It was worth it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules