Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Would you pay $30 a month for unlimited TV content from iTunes

Would you pay $30 a month for unlimited TV content from iTunes
lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2012, 05:00 PM

Ars Technica

This sounds like a pretty good deal if it was complete: all the essential cable channels and broadcast tv.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 2, 2012, 05:03 PM

I suppose it depends on the channels/shows, but yeah, I'd consider it.

andi*pandi
Mar 2, 2012, 05:07 PM

it's cheaper than verizon, if I could pick the channels I want, sure...

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2012, 05:33 PM

I'd definitely consider it. But I certainly wouldn't hold my breath on anything that rivals a full blown cable package for 30 bucks a month. The content providers simply won't leave that kind of money on the table. Even to get in bed with Apple.

IMO I don't see Apple even trying to go for an "unlimited content" type of deal given the steadfast opposition of the content providers. I think the strategy is ... and I would certainly welcome ... a business model where the Apple TV is a platform for "channels" as apps. Each channel/app would be paid for independently which would basically create an "a la carte" system. I think Apple would want to keep the pricing fairly consistent .. perhaps with 2 - 3 tiers of pricing. Imagine downloading only the channels/apps that you want for free. And then paying a monthly fee to watch all the programming available on that channel/app. Network and basic cable channels for $2.99/month. Sports channels like ESPN, MLB At Bat, NBA League Pass, etc. for $4.99/month. And premium channels like HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc. for $9.99/month. I'd be all over that! But of course, the major ISPs would likely get rid of unlimited internet access because most of them are also cable providers. So we can only dream ....

OAW

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2012, 06:13 PM

Yup I would.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

lpkmckenna  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2012, 06:49 PM

A lot of broadcast TV in Canada is already available online: CBC, CTV, CityTV, ComedyNetwork, etc. It's the American cable stuff that's hard to get your mitts on. Without torrents, of course.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2012, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
I'd definitely consider it. But I certainly wouldn't hold my breath on anything that rivals a full blown cable package for 30 bucks a month. The content providers simply won't leave that kind of money on the table. Even to get in bed with Apple.

IMO I don't see Apple even trying to go for an "unlimited content" type of deal given the steadfast opposition of the content providers. I think the strategy is ... and I would certainly welcome ... a business model where the Apple TV is a platform for "channels" as apps. Each channel/app would be paid for independently which would basically create an "a la carte" system. I think Apple would want to keep the pricing fairly consistent .. perhaps with 2 - 3 tiers of pricing. Imagine downloading only the channels/apps that you want for free. And then paying a monthly fee to watch all the programming available on that channel/app. Network and basic cable channels for $2.99/month. Sports channels like ESPN, MLB At Bat, NBA League Pass, etc. for $4.99/month. And premium channels like HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc. for $9.99/month. I'd be all over that! But of course, the major ISPs would likely get rid of unlimited internet access because most of them are also cable providers. So we can only dream ....
I hope you're not being literal with the apps part, because that would absolutely suck. TV is arguably a single "app", or maybe a few "apps" (regular channels, PPV, on demand, etc.).

Having a bazillion apps just to watch different channels would be painful.

Also, $2.99 per regular channel would be hella expensive. We're talking several times the price vs. regular cable TV. Yeah, several of those cable TV channels I'm not interested in but a good chunk are. I'm not willing to spend $60 a month for a small fraction of those channels. Total ripoff. In fact, I pay less than that now, for more channels.

If I had to pay $2.99 per regular channel plus even more for some of the speciality channels, my bill would probably be over $100 a month. Ouch. Plus, I'd then have to worry about internet data caps too, so it'd be even more since I'd probably have to upgrade to an unlimited usage plan with my ISP.
( Last edited by Eug; Mar 4, 2012 at 12:20 AM. )

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 4, 2012, 02:17 AM

It's a simple calc: number of desired channels @ Apple vs same @ Comcast (or your media provider) per $, neh?

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2012, 05:41 AM

I could see content providers agreeing to allow a catalog similar to Netflix along with broadcast TV and some sports on delay to be streamed for that price point.

Beyond that right now, no way. There's no chance the cable station owners would be able to pick up more revenue this way given the amount of current subscribers they'd lose to Apple. And I suspect we'd see a lower cap put on broadband plans by the likes of AT&T and Comcast to create secondary profits even if they did making it all a wash.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2012, 11:23 AM

Not likely, I watch very little TV as it is. Comcast, which I have, sucks, and I'm considering dumping the TV part of it.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2012, 01:26 PM

I think there would be a boatload of channels with the [FREE] pricetag, according to their intrinsic value, like home shopping, broadcast, public television, temple channels and MTV. Then there would be channels that you'd actually pay for, like Cinemax and the History channel.

What I have a great ambivalence is whether the paid subscriptions will still pay 30% to Apple, or whether a New York Times style deal will be extended to everyone, or a Newsstand business model will be used.

I, for one, welcome a gazillion icons, one per channel. I would rather navigate the channels graphically in the AppleTV interface, rather than memorize a number for each one of them. If this is the case, I hope Apple will have one binary that executes at the click of a bazillion icons, each with the same functions, not allowing the cable channel producers add cruft and bulk in the measly 8GB flash in each ATV.

In the back end, the ISPs, I sure hope that a technological solution would be given to the massive bandwidth war about to start, if Apple TV has the traction of the iPhone or iPad. In Steve's vision, he has cracked TVoverIP, but if telcos react with bandwidth caps, cable TV will remain king forever.

This technological solution may very well be IPv6 or the fixup of the broadcast IP function of IPv4. Either of them would require costly software upgrades to telco routing and switching network gear, but would slash all capacity problems in the trunk, a current problem of video streaming services. Furthermore, if there is an incentive such as the ability to market themselves the first ATV supporting network monetary they'd steal marketshare from competitors (assuming that Tim Cook does not get wrestled down into giving up a slice of the Apple pie).

On the other hand, billions of people live in places where no ISP competition exists.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2012, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I hope you're not being literal with the apps part, because that would absolutely suck. TV is arguably a single "app", or maybe a few "apps" (regular channels, PPV, on demand, etc.).

Having a bazillion apps just to watch different channels would be painful.
How is scrolling through a bunch of channel/apps more cumbersome than scrolling through the Guide on a cable box? I will grant you that there is no concept of a "channel number" on the Apple TV ... so you would lose the capability to pull up a channel/app directly like that.

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Also, $2.99 per regular channel would be hella expensive. We're talking several times the price vs. regular cable TV. Yeah, several of those cable TV channels I'm not interested in but a good chunk are. I'm not willing to spend $60 a month for a small fraction of those channels. Total ripoff. In fact, I pay less than that now, for more channels.

If I had to pay $2.99 per regular channel plus even more for some of the speciality channels, my bill would probably be over $100 a month. Ouch. Plus, I'd then have to worry about internet data caps too, so it'd be even more since I'd probably have to upgrade to an unlimited usage plan with my ISP.
It depends really. If one watches a lot of channels then it wouldn't make sense to go a la carte. A bundled deal like traditional cable would be more cost effective for sure. As for the pricing I listed .... admittedly I was just pulling some numbers out of my ass. Who knows what it would actually be? My overall point is that there would likely be "tiers" based upon the nature of the content with some being more expensive than others. But let's roll with the numbers I listed just for the sake of discussion. I personally could structure an a la carte package like the following and easily cover 95+% of the shows I watch regularly:

Network

ABC @ 2.99
CBS @ 2.99
NBC @ 2.99
FOX @ 2.99

$11.96

Basic Cable

AMC @ 2.99
USA @ 2.99
F/X @ 2.99
HGTV @ 2.99
DIY @ 2.99
Food Network @ 2.99
CNN @ 2.99
MSNBC @ 2.99

$23.92

Premium

HBO @ 9.99
Showtime @ 9.99
Starz @ 9.99

$29.97

For a grand total of $65.85/month. To cover the same shows across these networks with a bundled plan it was more cost effective for me to spring for the U-verse U450 plan at approx. $120/month. Which of course includes the HD DVR rental fees the HD Technology fee and other miscellaneous BS. Sure I get a sh*tload more channels ... but I hardly every watch anything except on the channels I listed. If I could not have to worry about the DVR filling up or shows not recording because of conflicts because they all stream on demand ... and pay HALF of what I'm doing now to cover the same content? Oh yeah ... I'd be all over that like white on rice!

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Mar 5, 2012 at 04:57 PM. )

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2012, 05:56 PM

I see where you're coming from now. Your cable company is fleecing you. I have the Rogers VIP package, and the HD Specialty Pack. I'm currently paying $54.65 per month plus tax for the channels below. However, that's because I called and asked for a discount. OTOH, I'm on one of the intermediate plans. There are cheaper plans with less channels. The only thing I'm missing is Space in HD, but that's because they don't offer it on Rogers. I have it in SD though.

HDTV Specialty Channel Pack:
HD TSN
TSN2 HD
Discovery World HD
A&E HD
HD ABC Seattle
HD CBS Seattle
HD Fox Seattle
HD CW Los Angeles
HD CW New York
HD WGN Chicago
HD CBS Boston

The following channels are included with the VIP package:
102.1 The Edge Toronto (CFNY FM)
104.5 CHUM FM Toronto
680 NEWS Toronto (CFTR AM)
96.9 Jack FM Vancouver (CKLG FM)
98.1 CHFI Toronto
999 VIRGIN RADIO
A&E
ABC Buffalo (WKBW)
Action
American Movie Classics (AMC)
AMItv
APTN (Aboriginal Peoples Television Network)
ATV Halifax (CTVAT)
AUX TV
BBC Canada
BBC Kids
BBC World News
BET (Black Entertainment Television)
BITE TV
BNN
bold
boom 97.3
Bravo! NewStyleArtsChannel
CablePulse24
CBC Calgary (CBRT)
CBC Halifax (CBHT)
CBC News Network/Voiceprint (SAP)
CBC Radio One Toronto CBLA FM
CBC St. John's (CBNT)
CBC Toronto (CBLT)
CBC Vancouver (CBUT)
CBC Winnipeg (CBWT)
CBS Buffalo (WIVB)
CFRB AM News/Talk 1010 Toronto
CFZM AM 740 "Zoomer Rado"
CHCH
CHCR Greek Radio
CHEX TV Durham
CHHA AM 1610 Spanish Radio Toronto
CHIR FM Greek Radio Toronto
CHOQ-FM 105.1 Toronto
CHRY 105.5 FM York University Toronto
CityNews Channel
Citytv Calgary
Citytv Toronto
Citytv Vancouver
Citytv Winnipeg
CIUT FM 89.5 U. of T. Toronto
CJBC AM 860 Toronto Premiere Chaine
CKAV 106.5FM Aboriginal Voices Radio Toronto
CKHC Radio Humber 96.9 FM
Classical 96.3FM Toronto (CFMZ)
CMT Canada (Country Music Television)
CNBC (Consumer News and Business Channel)
CNN (Cable News Network)
Comedy Network (East)
Comedy Network (West)
Cosmopolitan TV
CPAC English (main audio) (Cable Public Affairs Channel)
CPAC French (main audio) (Cable Public Affairs Channel)
CPWA FM Portuguese Radio Toronto
CTS (Crossroads Television System)
CTV Calgary (CTVCA)
CTV Kitchener/London (CTVSO)
CTV News Channel
CTV Toronto (CTVTO)
CTV Two Toronto
CTV Two Atlantic
CTV Two Vancouver Island
CTV Vancouver (CTVBC)
CTV Winnipeg (CTVWN)
Discovery Channel
Disney Junior
Disney Junior OnDemand
Disney XD
Disney XD OnDemand
DIY Network
documentary
E!
EuroWorld Sport (EWS)
Family Channel (East) (West)
Family OnDemand
Fireplace Channel
FLOW 93.5 Toronto (CFXJ FM)
Food Network On Demand
Food Network
FOX Buffalo (WUTV)
FX Canada
G4 Canada
Galaxie Adult Alternative
Galaxie Around the World
Galaxie Baroque
Galaxie Chamber Music
Galaxie Classic Masters
Galaxie Classic Rock
Galaxie Country Classics
Galaxie Dance Clubbin'
Galaxie Easy Listening
Galaxie Eclectic Electronic
Galaxie Flashback 70's
Galaxie Folk Roots
Galaxie Franco Country
Galaxie Franco Pop
Galaxie Franco Retro
Galaxie Greatest Hits
Galaxie Hit List
Galaxie Hot Country
Galaxie Jammin'
Galaxie Jazz Masters
Galaxie Jazz Now
Galaxie Jukebox Oldies
Galaxie Kids' Stuff
Galaxie Maximum Party
Galaxie Mousses Musique
Galaxie Nature
Galaxie Nostalgie
Galaxie Pop Adult
Galaxie Pop Classics
Galaxie Remember the 80's
Galaxie Rock Alternative
Galaxie Rock
Galaxie Smooth Jazz
Galaxie Souvenirs
Galaxie The Blues
Galaxie The Chill Lounge
Galaxie The Light
Galaxie The Spa
Galaxie Top Détente
Galaxie Urban Beat
GameTV
Global BC (CHAN)
Global Calgary (CICT)
Global Reality Channel
Global Toronto (CIII)
Grace TV
HGTV Canada (Home & Garden Television)
HGTV Canada (Home and Garden Television) On Demand
History Television
HLN
Independent Film Channel Canada
JAZZ.FM91 Toronto (CJRT)
Joytv 10
Joytv 11
KICX FM 106
KISS 92.5 Toronto
Leafs TV
Mediaset Italia
Metro 14
MovieTime
MTV
MuchMoreMusic
MuchMusic
Multicultural Free Preview Channel
Multicultural on Demand
NASA TV
National Geographic Channel
National Geographic On Demand
NBA TV Canada
NBC Buffalo (WGRZ)
NFL Network On Demand
NFL Network
OMNI BC
OMNI.1 (CFMT)
OMNI.2
Ontario Legislature
Outdoor Life Network (OLN)
OWN
PBS Buffalo (WNED)
Peachtree TV
Q107 Toronto (CILQ FM)
RDI
Real Estate Channel
Rogers On Demand
Rogers TV
RT (Russia Today)
Salt + Light Television
ShopTV Canada
Showcase (East)
Showcase (West)
Showcase Diva
Slice
SPACE: The Imagination Station
SPEED Channel
Spike TV
Sportsnet East
Sportsnet ONE
Sportsnet Ontario
Sportsnet Pacific
Sportsnet West
Sportsnews
SRC Toronto (CBLFT)
Sun News Network
Télé Québec (CIVM)
Telelatino (TLN - East)
Telelatino (TLN - West)
TELETOON (East)
TELETOON (West)
TELETOON On Demand
TELETOON Retro
TFO (CHLF)
The Aquarium Channel
The Biography Channel
THE FAN 590 Toronto (CJCL)
The Golf Channel
The Score
The Shopping Channel (tSc)
The Sunset Channel
The Weather Network
TLC (The Learning Channel)
TLN en Espanol
Treehouse On Demand
Treehouse
TSN (The Sports Network)
TSN2
Turner Classic Movies (TCM)
TV Call Display
TV Listings
TV Mix - Kids
TV Mix - News
TV Mix - Sports
TV5
TVA Montreal (CFTM)
TVOntario (TVO-CICA)
TVtropolis (East)
TVtropolis (West)
Twist TV
V Montreal (CFJP)
Vinyl 95.3
Vision TV
VoicePrint
W Network (East)
W Network (West)
WNED-AM
WNED-FM
WNLO Buffalo (CW23)
WNYO Buffalo (MyNetworkTV)
Your World This Week
YTV (East)
YTV (West)
YTV On Demand
Z103.5 Toronto (CIDC)

HD channels included with VIP package:
3D Preview Channel
APTN HD
bold HD
CBC News Network HD
CityNews Channel HD
CNN HD (Cable News Network HD)
CTS HD
CTV HD British Columbia (HCTVV)
CTV HD Toronto (CTVTO)
CTV Two Toronto HD
Disney XD HD
documentary HD
Family Channel HD (East)
Food Network HD
FX Canada HD
HD ABC Buffalo (WKBW)
HD CBC Toronto (CBLT)
HD CBC Vancouver (HCBCV)
HD CBS Buffalo (WIVB)
HD CHCH
HD Citytv Toronto
HD Citytv Vancouver
HD Fireplace Channel
HD FOX Buffalo (WUTV)
HD Global BC
HD Global Toronto (CIII)
HD Leafs TV
HD NBC Buffalo (WGRZ)
HD OMNI.1
HD OMNI.2
HD PBS Buffalo (WNED)
HD SRC Toronto (CBLFT)
HGTV HD
History HD
HLN HD
MovieTime HD
Much HD
NASA TV HD
National Geographic HD
NBA TV Canada HD
NFL Network HD
OWN HD
OLN HD
RDI HD
Rogers TV HD
Showcase HD
SPEED HD
Sportsnet East HD
Sportsnet ONE HD
Sportsnet Ontario HD
Sportsnet Pacific HD
Sportsnet West HD
Sportsnews HD
Sun News Network HD
TCM HD
Télé Québec HD
TFO HD
The Aquarium Channel HD
The Golf Channel HD
The ScoreHD
The Shopping Channel HD
The Sunset Channel HD
The Weather Network HD
TLC HD (The Learning Channel HD)
TV5 HD
TVA HD
TVO HD
V HD
W Network HD
Your World This Week HD
YTV HD (East)

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2012, 06:07 PM

CTV News Channel
CTV Toronto (CTVTO)
CTV Two Toronto
CTV Two Atlantic
CTV Two Vancouver Island
CTV Vancouver (CTVBC)
CTV Winnipeg (CTVWN)
Do you actually get the time shift CTVs with your package?

My shaw package had as many channels as you listed but some where blocked unless I paid more like time shifted channels of Global or CTV.

Rogers gives way more channels for less then Shaw

Cold Warrior
Mar 5, 2012, 06:19 PM

This is a big reason telcos are moving to caps. Even if the content guys opened up, users would need a more expensive Internet plan. If not immediately, then soon enough when they would want their tv in 1080p not SD or low end HD.

It also positions the telcos to solicit fees from the content providers — probably a juicer proposition than one sided gouging of consumers — to deliver their content without counting against the cap.

I don't think content and cable tv are going to decouple and rock the boat, but if they did, cable has set the stage already, and they have basically check mated content and apple.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2012, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
Do you actually get the time shift CTVs with your package?
Yes I do now. I didn't before. I'm guessing it's because of the Bell IPTV competition. (Or at least, I've only checked HD CTV BC. A 3 hour HD time shift is perfect for me. I haven't bothered to check out the SD CTV time shifting channels.)

Rogers gives way more channels for less then Shaw
I called in for a retentions discount. It's usually fairly straightforward to get a 20% discount, but I managed to get a 30% discount. I did the same thing for my iPhone plan.

iTunes doesn't offer retentions discounts.
( Last edited by Eug; Mar 5, 2012 at 10:24 PM. )

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2012, 07:12 PM

I would just rather see the network owned by the city/province with Shaw, Rogers, Telus offering content so any company could start up to offer content and we could see real competition. Right now as it stands for all of North America with maybe exceptions in big cities like NY is that all cities have 1 Phone company and 1 Cable company. Services provided by others are on rented lines from the 1 company that owns the lines. In BC thats Telus and Shaw. In Ontario thats Bell and Rogers.

lpkmckenna  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2012, 12:19 PM

So Athens, you want the gov't to seize all the lines belonging to Telus, Shaw, Bell, and Rogers? How much do you think that will cost? How about billions and billions. What will the taxpayer actually get from this ridiculous outlay of money? The exact same services. And how will Rogers or anyone else have content to provide when you've taken away 90% of their business plan?

Right now, we have privately owned lines with gov't regulation for consumer protection. Possibly not enough protection. But right now, in Toronto, I have several options for tv service and several options for internet service. As a taxpayer, I don't think "who owns the lines" matters enough to spend billions "fixing" an imaginary problem.

If the gov't wants to spend money, municipal broadband is a place to start. That will actually give us more options and competition.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2012, 12:25 PM

For cable, Rogers has an effective monopoly. However, if the government took over somehow (and they'd have to rewrite the law books to do that), it'd be a monopoly with twice the bureaucracy, likely for higher cost or else worse service, or both.

Still, it's crazy how much Rogers is charging for their set-top-boxes. Their 500 GB PVR is usually $600, currently on sale for $500 (which is the same price as their 160 GB box). The same 500 GB PVR with Videotron in Quebec is $390. Here, Rogers' regular price is 54% higher than Videotron.

Their non-PVR HD box is $320. The same box with Videotron is $200. Here, Rogers is 80% (!) more expensive.

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2012, 03:29 PM

Eug, if that's a DCX 3400, then they're actually charging what Motorola charges for them. I work for Shaw, and at one point I was ticked off we raised ours back from 199 to 349, and I asked one of the higher ups how much they actually called, and he said point blank that they were 600. My guess is Rogers is just passing on what Motorola charges. Maybe once Google buys them that cost will change, what with the software probably being Android based, it'll be cheaper with way more lag

Also, I think Apple's solution for providing a subscription to TV service these days is Netflix, and I think they're fully aware that the content providers are going to refuse to play ball seriously with Apple. They're too scared of making more money while losing control and having a better experience for consumers.

On the other hand, for example Shaw is putting all major programs into VOD on their STBs, so that if you watch mostly the major networks then you don't even need a PVR.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2012, 03:41 PM

The units that are being sold for Rogers in Ontario are the Cisco 8642HD PVR and the 4642HD, for $500/600 (depending on model) and $319 respectively. It's definitely not what Future Shop is being charged, because they're currently having a $100 off sale for the $600 model.

Netflix is not a viable solution to subscription TV so far.

As for Motorola charging Shaw $600 per unit, that sounds completely bogus to me.

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2012, 08:58 PM

All I know is that's what I was told, and it's generally stated that TV companies subsidize hardware because if the customer owns it they're less likely to switch providers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules