Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Bioshock Infinite

Bioshock Infinite
Leonard
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2013, 04:02 PM

Bioshock Infinite is coming out on March 26, 2013. We've got around a week and a half to wait. Who's getting it.

I've got my copy preordered... preordered it a couple of months back.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 15, 2013, 04:23 PM

Waiting to see postrelease buzz and how it lives up to hype.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2013, 05:04 PM

I have a copy pre-ordered from Amazon, and have played through the "Industrial Revolution" pre-game.
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2013, 06:15 PM

I may have to contaminate my Mac with Windows 8 just to play this game.

But I would never, ever consider pre-ordering a game. What a racket that is.
/off topic rant

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2013, 09:43 AM

Do the experts think that you need to have played the previous Bioshock games to understand Infinite?

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2013, 08:58 PM

From what I've seen it looks like a new world with new characters and story. It does have a few odd similarities to the old Bioshock. Have to see if there are any references to the previous two.

So, I don't think you need to have played the other two.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 18, 2013, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Do the experts think that you need to have played the previous Bioshock games to understand Infinite?
No.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2013, 12:48 PM

Thanks for the replies. I should really finish Far Cry 3, but fcuk it, I'll get Infinite to satisfy my fps fix.

Really really bad internet connection is stopping me trying the CoD games. Guess I could try the Blops 2 solo stuff.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 18, 2013, 12:50 PM

Guess I could try the Blops 2 solo stuff.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2013, 12:57 PM

Yeah, I know. It is possible that its more frustrating than online? I'd hope not. Trouble is, if I play FC3, I'm bound to see DakarZero written on rocks everywhere. And then I'd try to beat him. And fail.

Godammit, the choices are just too much!!!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 18, 2013, 01:00 PM

Trouble is, if I play FC3, I'm bound to see DakarZero written on rocks everywhere. And then I'd try to beat him. And fail.
If you haven't come to terms with my greatness by now, you're in trouble.

Also, lol

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2013, 01:25 PM

Trouble is, if I play FC3, I'm bound to see DakarZero written on rocks everywhere. And then I'd try to beat him. And fail.
Yeah, I think I have a couple of rocks with his name on, too. Luckily I have someone on my friends list who is better at some of the trials than him, so I don't have that many rocks with Dakar's name.

Godammit, the choices are just too much!!!
Yeah, there are alot of good choices out there.

Right now, I was looking at the DLC I've got left to go through for the games I got. I noticed they released new DLC for a couple of my games.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 18, 2013, 01:30 PM

I would not define Black Ops II single player campaign as a 'good choice'.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2013, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I would not define Black Ops II single player campaign as a 'good choice'.
Alright alright, I understand that I should never even think of playing Blops 2 solo.

The thought will never cross my mind again.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2013, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by davidflas View Post
I have a copy pre-ordered from Amazon, and have played through the "Industrial Revolution" pre-game.
Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
But I would never, ever consider pre-ordering a game. What a racket that is.
I may have to reconsider my opinion on this. Among some other minor stuff, the pre-order for Bioshock Infinite at Steam gives you a free copy of Bioshock, and a free copy of XCom: Enemy Unknown, both of which you can gift if you don't want or need them.

I am curious to see how the game looks and performs on lower-end hardware. It will apparently run even on the Intel HD 3000, which is kinda surprising given how large the environments are supposed to be. And the game is huge, requiring 3 DVDs to install.

And the player is limited to carrying two weapons at once. Hmmm.

P
Mar 21, 2013, 09:27 AM

I am curious to see how the game looks and performs on lower-end hardware. It will apparently run even on the Intel HD 3000, which is kinda surprising given how large the environments are supposed to be. And the game is huge, requiring 3 DVDs to install.
The HD 3000 is not too shabby. By design it is quite similar to low-end GPUs of a generation or two back - say a Radeon 4000 or 5000 series chip. If you have to make the game scale from a modern PC all the way down to an Xbox 360, fitting an HD 3000 to that span can't be too hard.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2013, 11:53 PM

My brother sent me this pic from work. I should be getting my free copy soon.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Mar 21, 2013, 11:56 PM

PSA- the Green Man Gaming preorder bonuses are fantastic. Like mentioned before, X-Com, Bioshock (1), and the new one, plus one more game, and $15 in credit. Steam codes all around!

Bundles

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2013, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by EstaNightshift View Post
PSA- the Green Man Gaming preorder bonuses are fantastic. Like mentioned before, X-Com, Bioshock (1), and the new one, plus one more game, and $15 in credit. Steam codes all around!

Bundles
That's a damn good deal. But I don't see any mention of Steam codes at the site.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Mar 22, 2013, 03:23 PM

The FAQ and questions about the deal address the steam code thing. Plus, check the pages for the freebies they give- all Steam too.

GMG is generally Steam.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2013, 03:32 PM

So, I went down to Yorkdale Mall in Toronto to buy a copy of Windows 8 so I could then buy and play B:I on launch day. Yorkdale Mall has a Microsoft Store and an Apple Store right next to each other. I played with the Surfaces on display, then asked about Windows 8.

Guess what: the Microsoft Store doesn't sell the full install of Windows 8, only upgrade copies. I was told by the employee that I'd have to get a copy from a store like Tiger Direct.

In-fncking-sane.
( Last edited by lpkmckenna; Mar 22, 2013 at 09:19 PM. )

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2013, 04:04 PM

I thought they were going to tell you to see their App Store, like a certain other Store told me.

It's getting like you can't buy anything on hard (physical) media these days...

Ho well, it could have been worse... they could have told you to see Apple's App Store for it!
MacBook Pro

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2013, 05:43 PM

So I've got my copy from Tiger Direct. And I learned another weird Microsoft lesson today: Windows 8 update version, $199, Windows 8 OEM Full Install, $89. On what planet does it make sense to sell updates for twice as much? And who are the morons who would pay it?

edit: Ok, got Windows 8 installed. Unpleasant experience. (Screw you Microsoft and your "adaptive brightness.") Now just to get pre-loaded and I'll be ready for the big day.

Part of the reason I decided not to wait for the Aspyr port is I'm still kinda peeved they refused to issue an update to Rage so I could buy the DLC or use any user-generated content. And given the strange, mangled states of their Borderlands 2 and CoD:BO ports, I wouldn't be surprised if B:I was somehow mangled too. I understand why these things happen, I just don't want to have to experience them if I don't have to.
( Last edited by lpkmckenna; Mar 22, 2013 at 09:47 PM. )

P
Mar 23, 2013, 09:05 AM

So I've got my copy from Tiger Direct. And I learned another weird Microsoft lesson today: Windows 8 update version, $199, Windows 8 OEM Full Install, $89. On what planet does it make sense to sell updates for twice as much? And who are the morons who would pay it?
The $199 upgrade is for Windows 8 Pro, the $89 full install is for the base version. Also, you can't move the OEM install to a second computer if you'd want to.

ObPAReference: Penny Arcade - The Manifold Faces of Vista
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2013, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
The $199 upgrade is for Windows 8 Pro, the $89 full install is for the base version.
The full install of Windows 8 Pro OEM is $129, still much cheaper than the upgrade-only version.

My point was: there was a bit of a learning curve for this Mac guy yesterday regarding versions, prices, and how MS sells its stuff.

Back to Bioshock: I just finished the "Industrial Revolution" flash game to earn the pre-order bonuses. It was a well-crafted game, but not really that much fun for me. At least it wasn't more plumbing/hacking.

P
Mar 23, 2013, 12:02 PM

The full install of Windows 8 Pro OEM is $129, still much cheaper than the upgrade-only version.

My point was: there was a bit of a learning curve for this Mac guy yesterday regarding versions, prices, and how MS sells its stuff.
If you have a current version of Windows pro, you have to get the upgrade version. The OEM version usually won't even install (unless you built the original computer yourself, or hack a bit)..

Yes, the ms upgrade game is crazy. It used to be even worse, though.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2013, 07:50 AM

Got mine 10 minutes ago. Bizarrely they could sell it to me if I paid cash, not credit card.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 25, 2013, 09:13 AM

Got mine 10 minutes ago. Bizarrely they could sell it to me if I paid cash, not credit card.
That sounds like they're breaking street date.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2013, 10:26 AM

The Escapist review: as close to perfect as videogames get.

Polygon review: "But by the end of BioShock Infinite my understanding of its world had been blown so wide-open that it was all I could do to navigate the final twenty minutes in stunned silence, which followed me through the credits and for the rest of the night."

Penny Arcade Report: "This is the power of a well-funded AAA game: The ability to show you something you have never seen before."

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2013, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
That sounds like they're breaking street date.
Yeah tomorrow in Frogland.

The Escapist review: as close to perfect as videogames get.

Polygon review: "But by the end of BioShock Infinite my understanding of its world had been blown so wide-open that it was all I could do to navigate the final twenty minutes in stunned silence, which followed me through the credits and for the rest of the night."

Penny Arcade Report: "This is the power of a well-funded AAA game: The ability to show you something you have never seen before."
I'm hard.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 25, 2013, 10:31 AM

Polygon is known for fellating AAA titles.

Edit: Not saying BioSHock sucks, just that Polygon does

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2013, 12:38 PM

Ars Technica: Ending of BioShock Infinite is "literally jaw-dropping."

It's rare to play a game with a narrative that comes together as well as BioShock Infinite's. It's the kind of ending that seems inevitable in retrospect, yet hard to see coming before it is suddenly barreling toward you. Then, when it hits, it makes you look at everything you experienced beforehand a little differently, and it makes you eager to reanalyze what you thought you knew before.
Exactly what we are all hoping for.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2013, 01:22 PM

Jeez, it sounds like I'm going to quit the wife and kids after playing this thing.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 25, 2013, 01:25 PM

This is reassuring. Not Day 1, but I'll keep an eye on it on amazon.

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2013, 01:46 PM

I might not get to it day 1 either, depending on when it gets delivered. I imagine it'll be delivered on release day or the day after. Just hope I get it before the long weekend.
MacBook Pro

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2013, 06:09 PM

Its good. Not mind-blowing, but good. Combat is pretty fast and furious. Graphically there are some parts that are excellent and some are meh.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2013, 09:50 AM

Levine talks about a choice that you have to take in the game, wonder how many actually chose differently to what he has seen. I also let Booker expose himself (oh err misses).

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2013, 09:51 AM

Anybody else playing? I'm up to the "having to find Shock" part.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2013, 01:17 PM

I'll be getting my copy in week or so.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2013, 02:31 PM

My copy didn't arrive yesterday. It should be here today, though.
MacBook Pro

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2013, 10:14 PM

Levine talks about a choice that you have to take in the game, wonder how many actually chose differently to what he has seen. I also let Booker expose himself (oh err misses).
It's almost ridiculous to make that other choice, though. I'd spent a very long time by then just wandering around looking at stuff. I was thinking, "well, the shooting gotta start at some point, might as well be now."

Frankly, I don't find the choices in BioShock games to be tough to make. This isn't Telltale's The Walking Dead, not by a long shot. I mean, c'mon, the original BioShock had us choosing between not killing a child and earning a minor buff, and killing a child so you could get a slightly better buff. It's not a serious choice unless you deliberately imagine yourself role-playing an evil bastard, and then it becomes an easy choice in the opposite direction.

Originally Posted by mattyb
Anybody else playing? I'm up to the "having to find Shock" part.
I'm now "following the Siren's footsteps." Steam tells me I've played 21 hours so far, which surprises me since reviews told me it was only 10-15 hrs long, and the game doesn't seem to be dragging too slow. (It is kinda slow.)

BTW, I think I know what the big twist is. I'll let you know later if I was right, but I won't spoil it.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2013, 07:32 AM

Please don't add any spoilers without tagging them.

I can't see anything from work (loads of gaming sites are blocked) but if you've done 21 hours you must be a long way ahead of me.

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2013, 09:44 AM

Just started yesterday and haven't gotten too far yet. Just got my gun and skyhook.
MacBook Pro

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2013, 02:49 PM

So I finished the game. My guess about the big twist was in the ballpark, but a bunch of details were all wrong. My overall guess was right, just how it came to be was wrong. Very wrong.

Lemme just say: people are gonna be arguing about this game for years.

BTW, I have no idea how they could possibly shoehorn-in DLC for this game.

BTW2: why do I drink soda to get Salt? Why would Salt be in soda? Hell, who was the "genius" at Irrational that thought "salt" was a suitable replacement for Adam?
( Last edited by lpkmckenna; Mar 28, 2013 at 03:24 PM. )

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2013, 03:00 PM

Damn. You finished the game, already!?! How long is it?

edit: Never mind, I read your oother email now. I thought it was a major spoiler.
( Last edited by Leonard; Mar 28, 2013 at 03:46 PM. )
MacBook Pro

Leonard  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2013, 06:38 PM

BTW2: why do I drink soda to get Salt? Why would Salt be in soda? Hell, who was the "genius" at Irrational that thought "salt" was a suitable replacement for Adam?
I think they're using salt because of the religious myth that salt keeps evil spirits or demons away.

It probably also helps that it's white = good.
MacBook Pro

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2013, 01:28 AM

BTW2: why do I drink soda to get Salt? Why would Salt be in soda?
Well a can of coke has sodium in it, makes sense. No ide about in the context of the game, just being snarky.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2013, 07:30 AM

I love this picture:

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2013, 05:33 PM

So, how on the Xbox do I see how long I've played?

Elizabeth has her original clothes, how far into the game am I?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2013, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Damn. You finished the game, already!?! How long is it?
I'm having trouble figuring that out. Steam seems to have completely lost track of things.

When I was tracking the Siren, Steam told me it was 21 hours, which seems reasonable given the fact that I gave pretty much an entire day to the game at that point and was taking my time, looking at everything, back-tracking and scrounging a lot, and playing on Hard on top of that. But then I finally finished the game, Steam said I only clocked 24 hours, and I thought "no way, I've played a lot more than 3 hours in the last sitting."

And then today, I decided to play it all again from the start, just acquired the Shock Jockey, and Steam still says "24 hours played." So yeah, there's something weird going on with Steam right now.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's about 12 hours long minimum, and a lot longer if you play the way I did.

Forum Links
Forum Rules