Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Sharp Aquos TV opinions?

Sharp Aquos TV opinions?
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2013, 02:58 PM

I'm thinking of upgrading my TV to something bigger. Was wondering what ppl's opinions are of Sarp Aquos TVs are? I'm considering the following model....

Sharp Aquos 50" LED (Amazon)

A couple of specific questions.... i'm not too interested in the 'smart' aspects. Would they interfere in any way if i were to use a Roku or AppleTV with it? And would using it with my PS3 be as seamless as using a Sony HDTV?

Cheers

P
Aug 7, 2013, 05:59 PM

I have a LC-52LE831 - two generations older, two notches higher "performance" on whatever scale they use. I'm very happy with it where it counts - that is, the picture quality is great, no reflections even in direct sunlight, nice design, much cheaper than the equivalent Samsung or Sony models.

The integrated network features are pointless - too slow to be useful. The integrated video player is barely acceptable - it plays just about anything, but the only fast forward or rewind is 30 second skip - not too much fun if you want to skip ahead an hour - so I just use my Apple TV. The "smart" features don't interfere with that. One gotcha is that if you want 5.1 audio, you basically have to use HDMI with ARC and a receiver that supports it - no coaxial or optical S/PDIF. Say a curse for the MPAA and move on, because all new TVs are like that. The workaround is to run a dedicated cable direct from the set top box or BD or whatever to your receiver, but that's finicky.

I don't have a PS3, so someone else will have to answer that. The TV does support HDMI-CEC though, if that helps.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Chito
Senior User
Aug 8, 2013, 09:39 PM

I have a much older Sharp Aquos, an LC46D64U from 2008, although it doesn't have any smart features it's been a rock solid unit. When I do decide to buy a new tv it will be a 60" Sharp. I don't think you can go wrong with Sharp.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Ham Sandwich
Aug 12, 2013, 07:01 PM

I've found Sharp tends to make generally the absolute best big-screen TVs. Can't go wrong with Aquos, even if you spend a little extra $$ you will not regret it.

Rumor
Aug 15, 2013, 02:14 AM

I have a 32" 720p Sharp Aquos without the extras and I like it. When I bought it, it was the right size. Now, I am looking for larger, but I'll probably stay within the Aquos line. The picture quality is extremely good. It isn't LED since I've had it for four or five years, but still holds up well. My only complaint is that I ran out of HDMI ports. Though, that can happen with any TV.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Ham Sandwich
Aug 15, 2013, 04:39 PM

I have a 46" has 5 HDMI ports. Also not LED but the picture is just so super perfect that it doesn't really bother me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules