Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Random Ridiculousness of the Day Thread

Random Ridiculousness of the Day Thread (Page 18)
Ham Sandwich
Sep 24, 2018, 08:29 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 10:01 AM. )

mindwaves
Sep 25, 2018, 09:11 PM

Not sure why. Just reset Safari prefs and try again. I like your orange idea, so I've done the same.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 26, 2018, 12:08 AM

A man who slapped a woman’s bottom on a bus near Paris has been jailed for three months and, in a first under a new law against catcalling, also fined for lewd remarks about her physique.

The man, inebriated when he boarded the rush-hour bus, smacked the 21-year-old on the buttocks and made an insulting comment about her breasts (snip)

A judge in Evry, south of Paris, sentenced the man, in his 30s, to three months in prison for the slap, considered an act of outright sexual aggression, and added a fine of €300 (£270) (US$353) for the offending comments.
So someone drunk, slapped a butt, and got jailed. Incarceration can end employment, cause homelessness, and break marriage.

If he were drunk driving and hit someone, I can see it. Maybe even if he were just driving drunk, and had priors.

Butt-slapping does not cause physical harm, and he doesn't even have prior butt-slap convictions. The punishment is way overboard for the crime. They're potentially ruining his life for some drunken behavior.

If Paris really has a problem with sexist insults and butt-slaps, fine them €100 each time. The more fines collected, the less everyone has to pay in taxes. Don't make it so high it will scare people silly. A once-in-a-lifetime $353 fine pales in comparison to $1,000 a year of steady tax income from each sexist pig.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2018, 05:10 AM

This didn’t sound plausible, so I dug a little.

https://translate.googleusercontent....Waq8w9yEFsRD-A

French source says he also attacked the bus driver.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 26, 2018, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
So someone drunk, slapped a butt, and got jailed. Incarceration can end employment, cause homelessness, and break marriage.

If he were drunk driving and hit someone, I can see it. Maybe even if he were just driving drunk, and had priors.

Butt-slapping does not cause physical harm, and he doesn't even have prior butt-slap convictions. The punishment is way overboard for the crime. They're potentially ruining his life for some drunken behavior.

If Paris really has a problem with sexist insults and butt-slaps, fine them €100 each time. The more fines collected, the less everyone has to pay in taxes. Don't make it so high it will scare people silly. A once-in-a-lifetime $353 fine pales in comparison to $1,000 a year of steady tax income from each sexist pig.
Weird, I just stumbled across this last night - seems like you're pulling from the playbook line-by-line.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2018, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I don’t see a way he can tank the price enough for it to matter without getting fired and/or charged with securities fraud.
Guess who just got charged with securities fraud.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 27, 2018, 06:03 PM

I don't think they'll be able to prove malice or illegal intent. I think Musk just couldn't sit on "the great news", and tweeted without running it past a lawyer first. He seemed more intent on keeping the shareholders informed, and not thinking about market influence.

My guess: a solid fine for sure. A tossup on if they'll force him from the CEO or board seats. And without intent, there won't be criminal consequences. IANAL.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2018, 07:28 PM

I don't think they'll be able to prove malice or illegal intent. I think Musk just couldn't sit on "the great news", and tweeted without running it past a lawyer first. He seemed more intent on keeping the shareholders informed, and not thinking about market influence.

My guess: a solid fine for sure. A tossup on if they'll force him from the CEO or board seats. And without intent, there won't be criminal consequences. IANAL.
IDK. It might not be a criminal offense, but the SEC might still bar him.

As a director / C level exec, you can’t use the “didn’t know” excuse. You are unfit for the office if that’s what it was.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2018, 10:08 AM

Sometime in the future, tweet from the DOJ:

ELON SECURED

-t

Ham Sandwich
Sep 28, 2018, 01:45 PM

[...deleted...]

reader50
Administrator
Sep 29, 2018, 06:27 PM

The SEC case against Elon Musk has been settled, two days after it was filed.

• Tesla and Musk will each pay $20M (40M total).
• Musk will step down as chairman of the board, and may not resume that post for at least 3 years.

He will remain as CEO, and apparently can remain on the board of directors as well. Just not as Chairman.

Either the SEC found no malice and wasn't too concerned about future violations, or the Trump administration is going famously easy on corporations. I can see either or both being true. The private parties suing may not be as lenient, they claim to have lost a lot of money.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2018, 11:24 PM

Slap on the wrist. Typical.

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2018, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Weird, I just stumbled across this last night - seems like you're pulling from the playbook line-by-line.
Is a shot being fired here?

It comes off like it, and I’m still taken aback.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2018, 05:37 AM

Is a shot being fired here?

It comes off like it, and I’m still taken aback.
He has a point.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2018, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
He has a point.
It depends.

Each play from the tweet is paired with a consequence. What makes the point valid is the play intending or resulting in the consequence.

I don’t see evidence of that.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2018, 10:17 AM

Wait, in the context of butt slapping, is an accusation good enough, or do they demand actual proof and witnesses ?

I’m all for jailing people based on an accusation alone. That’ll teach them.

-f

reader50
Administrator
Oct 1, 2018, 12:46 AM

Ars has some more details on the Tesla settlement.

• The $40M will go to the defrauded investors, so this probably takes care of the private lawsuits. I'd wondered where the fines would go.
• Tesla has to dilute Musk's influence by adding 2 new board seats not connected to Musk.
• Tesla will be running Tesla-related Musk tweets past a company lawyer before he can post them:
{Tesla} will also have to rein in his use of social media, adding "controls and procedures to oversee Musk’s communications."
Now that we have the remaining details, I'm OK with the outcome. It feels reasonable. Though Musk still needs a vacation, to stop the poor judgement calls.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 1, 2018, 01:51 AM

Can he still pretend to smoke pot on camera?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 1, 2018, 10:09 AM

It depends.

Each play from the tweet is paired with a consequence. What makes the point valid is the play intending or resulting in the consequence.

I don’t see evidence of that.
I'll be the first to admit that the tweet, like most things shared via social media today, is designed to appeal to people that already hold a certain set of beliefs. It's not a research paper or a scientific study. The current cry from the alt-right, men's rights, redpills, etc. in response to #metoo and the concept that we should even listen to women, is "but what if this is bad for men?" The current playbook: deny that it happened, downplay the significance of what happened, normalize the objectionable behavior, blame the victim for wanting or deserving it, accuse her of ill intent.

The more experiences I read from those that have been sexually harassed and abused, the more I'm disgusted by how we treat the abused, and I saw that playbook in action in reader's post:

- So someone drunk, slapped a butt, and got jailed. Incarceration can end employment, cause homelessness, and break marriage.

"He doesn't deserve negative consequences for his actions."

- If he were drunk driving and hit someone, I can see it. Maybe even if he were just driving drunk, and had priors.

"There are worse things he could have done, this really isn't that bad"

- Butt-slapping does not cause physical harm, and he doesn't even have prior butt-slap convictions.

"Slapping someone doesn't physically harm them (what?), and we're going to ignore any other effects that the assault could have on the victim."

- The punishment is way overboard for the crime. They're potentially ruining his life for some drunken behavior.

"He deserves better, but she doesn't. We shouldn't hold people accountable for their actions when they're inebriated."

And it's a really weird choice of comparisons, because these don't follow at all:

Maybe even if he were just driving drunk, and had priors.
They're potentially ruining his life for some drunken behavior.
Which is it? Drunken behavior should be hand-waved away, or drunken behavior is worthy of jailtime?

What if being assaulted in public and having her assaulter get away with no punishment or recourse sends her into seclusion and depression, inhibiting her ability to maintain relationships and a steady job?

What if going public with her accusations results in public backlash against her, and it becomes difficult for her to live a normal life afterwards, because she's now famous for complaining about something that "wasn't really a big deal?"

What if she began receiving death threats from anonymous people because they believed she was making up or exaggerating the story in order to hurt her assaulter?

What if she has to take significant time off of work because she's required to attend multiple court hearings and trials for her assaulter, and she now has to deal with lost wages and potentially a lost job?

What if new employers refuse to hire her because she's now famous for causing trouble, making a big deal out of nothing, and trying to ruin the lives of those around her?

Do you see why many many women and men who have been victims of assault or discrimination privately, publicly, and in the workplace choose not to speak up, and instead just keep their mouths shut? There's almost no upside for them personally for speaking out, but likely huge, life-altering downsides.

This is why it's infuriating when the fact that a victim didn't speak up right away is used as evidence that they're lying, faking it, or trying to ruin someone else's life.

mindwaves
Oct 1, 2018, 10:40 AM

Ars has some more details on the Tesla settlement.

• The $40M will go to the defrauded investors, so this probably takes care of the private lawsuits. I'd wondered where the fines would go.
• Tesla has to dilute Musk's influence by adding 2 new board seats not connected to Musk.
• Tesla will be running Tesla-related Musk tweets past a company lawyer before he can post them:

Now that we have the remaining details, I'm OK with the outcome. It feels reasonable. Though Musk still needs a vacation, to stop the poor judgement calls.
I bought TSLA on Friday during the drop and sold early this morning. Made a quick buck. Love the company and cars, even have a Model 3 on deposit, but a bit scared to hold the stock for any extended period of time.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 1, 2018, 11:20 AM

@Laminar

I feel these statements come from the perspective of the perpetrator in this scenario receiving a fair sentence. If that’s the case, then I agree with everything you’re saying. A fair sentence takes those plays into consideration. Running the plays against a fair sentence results in the consequences of the tweet.

The story presents a scenario of the perpetrator receiving an unfair* sentence. What arguments are appropriate when a sentence is unfair to the perpetrator other than pointing out the unfair consequences or advocating for leniency?

*As noted, the story omitted the pertinent detail he beat the shit out of a bus driver. Presuming three months is a fair sentence for the sum of his crimes, the slap alone would receive significantly less (though non-zero).
( Last edited by subego; Oct 1, 2018 at 11:54 AM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2018, 12:57 PM

What arguments are appropriate when a sentence is unfair to the perpetrator other than pointing out the unfair consequences or advocating for leniency?
That's a really tough question and one that I struggle with. If the story were, "He slapped a woman's ass and was immediately and brutally hacked to pieces with a machete in front of all of his family and friends," that's a more cut-and-dried situation where the punishment doesn't fit the crime, and we can more easily have that discussion.

The issue that I think we're up against is that historically, we have minimized or ignored the effects of abuse against women and minorities. So in any discussion when we're talking about the effects of abuse on women and minorities, some people are overly sensitive to any attempts to minimize their abuse, while some people are overly sensitive to the potential for abuse of a system that lends too much credence to what a victim says in a he said/she said situation.

These discussions are important to have, because if we try and shut down discussion (like I kind of did back there), people get defensive and further entrenched in their own views.

I think we need to be aware of our own potential biases, and be sure that we're not adding to the problem.

A friend of mine that, due to a genetic flaw they only recently discovered, has endured more than one unsuccessful pregnancy that they 99% knew wasn't viable early on. She chose not to abort even though that was the only logical solution, one that would have minimized an incredible amount of emotional and physical trauma.

Iowa recently enacted a very strict abortion law that triggered plenty of partisan Facebook debate. Under this new law, abortion would not have been an option at the time when they determined the fetus wasn't viable, meaning women in a similar situation as she was would have been required to carry an non-viable fetus to term. She responded with a blog post that ended in, basically, "if you haven't been in this situation, listen more and speak less."

That's what I try to do, and if I do speak, I try to err on the side of using my (bleck) "privilege" to speak on behalf of those that have historically been unheard.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2018, 02:26 PM

One point I forgot to address above - dogwhistles. The language we use is continually evolving. In particular, the language that racists use to signal each other now that blantant, outright racism isn't allowed out in the open. See Atwater's '81 interview:

Atwater: Y'all don't quote me on this. You start out in 1954 by saying, "N*****, n*****, n*****." By 1968 you can't say "n*****" — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "N****, n*****."
So phrases like "state's rights" and "busing" are used by racists to signal their real intentions to other racists, and over time they become more abstract and harder to follow. The side effect is that people honestly concerned about the balance of power between the federal government and the states, and about distributing students among different schools are now confused with racists, because racists co-opted those terms.

Likewise, there's a specific redpill/MRA/etc. reaction to #metoo and Believe Women and TimesUp and everything else going on now, and that specific reaction is to do what I outlined earlier - deny, question, silence, blame.

This hurts the person coming from a neutral perspective that wants honest discussion on victim believability, fair punishments, and proper reactions to accusations.

It's a fine line to tread without altogether shutting down conversation, so my apologies if that's what I did above.

andi*pandi
Oct 1, 2018, 03:03 PM

apparently some believe that if a butt is slapped in the forest, and no one is around to see it, it makes no sound.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2018, 05:03 PM

@Laminar

Two excellent, insightful, and self-aware replies.

Ham Sandwich
Oct 2, 2018, 06:19 PM

[...deleted...]

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2018, 03:44 AM

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2018, 10:02 AM

Land of the Free my ass.

Ham Sandwich
Oct 4, 2018, 01:59 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 10:02 AM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2018, 08:22 PM

Animal Mother forgot his parka.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2018, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Free my ass.
Reported.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2018, 06:42 AM

“Your clothes. Give them to me.”

Ham Sandwich
Oct 25, 2018, 09:48 AM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 10:05 AM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2018, 06:29 PM

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2018, 04:26 PM

Keming.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2018, 04:36 PM

I’m missing it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2018, 04:45 PM

Me too. The long run-out of the „R“ before the „N“ isn’t pretty, and the „N“ and the „H“ are too far apart by comparison to the rest, but nothing embarrassing results as far as I can see.

It’s not so much keming as just an ugly font.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2018, 05:06 PM

Yeah, the RN is ugly, but I’d say it’s properly kemed.

andi*pandi
Nov 7, 2018, 05:30 PM

What's really needed here is a ligature.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2018, 05:32 PM

I mean, it was bad enough that I spent a few seconds trying to figure out what a "COR NHUSKER" was. Maybe I just have a better eye for design than the rest of you jokers.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2018, 05:39 PM

Designers need to be able to read that so we can make the last ditch suggestion they rename it “corthuskers”, or maybe “corwhuskers”.

Thorzdad
Nov 7, 2018, 05:40 PM

Definitely kerned as designed. It’s just that the design includes a poorly thought-out R. That said, I’m imagining that the designer thought, given that the tail on the cap R descends straight down (as opposed to descending at a diagonal) it looked way too much like the cap A and added the flair to the tail to better differentiate the two.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2018, 05:49 PM

Coanhuskers! Brilliant!

andi*pandi
Nov 7, 2018, 11:16 PM

Really that R should have been a descender.

mindwaves
Nov 12, 2018, 09:13 PM

Not ridiculous but highly unusual. I live and work in a business area and every time I walk to work or walk home from work or even on my lunch break, I see the same guy walking on both sides of the road aimlessly. He is always well-dressed, usually wearing a suit without a jacket and with suspenders. He is neatly trimmed and wears a fancy watch and almost always carries a water bottle with him. He is about 60 years old.

He doesn't appear to work based on the hours I see him and the fact that he never carries a briefcase or anything. He is always just walking on either side of a main road, looking right or left, and then continuing walking. He doesn't appear to be insane either.

The funny thing is that he appears to dress down for Friday wearing jeans and a nice shirt, but doing the same thing, just walking and walking at all hours of the day. I think he used to be a businessman, probably retired and nothing else to do in retirement.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 15, 2018, 12:37 AM

Vladivostok, Russia. There is a convenient bridge, which is limited to vehicular traffic. No pedestrians.

An eight-legged bus attempts to walk around the problem.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2018, 08:11 PM

If no one else is going to do it...

Bus ride you.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2018, 08:11 PM

mindwaves
Nov 16, 2018, 09:12 PM

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-46234545

Shouldn’t a sixth grader be able to know what trivial means, much less a year 13 student?

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2018, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-46234545

Shouldn’t a sixth grader be able to know what trivial means, much less a year 13 student?
They should know what trivial means, but I object to the question for being dumbass.

“Julius Caesar once said, ‘events of importance are the result of trivial causes.’ With reference to the causes and consequences of a historical event you have studied this year, analyse the extent to which you agree or disagree with Caesar.”

In other words, do you agree or disagree based upon a single, cherry-picked event. What a pointless exercise.

Forum Links
Forum Rules