Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Random Ridiculousness of the Day Thread

Random Ridiculousness of the Day Thread (Page 4)
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2017, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
Not really ridiculous, but wow.

US military drops 'mother of all bombs on IS' in Afghanistan - BBC News

"The 21,600lb (9,800kg) bomb was dropped in Achin district on Thursday evening local time, the Pentagon said. It is more than 9m (30 feet) in length."
But will it make a bang enough big to cover up the sound of proof that Trump colluded with Russia?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...m-links-russia
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 15, 2017, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
This has to rank among the most ridiculous.

Chicago man fatally shoots son over dog-walking - BBC News
How is this ridiculous ?

It's merely natural selection running its course.

-t

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2017, 02:02 PM

Glad the Facebook Killer is dead. He offed himself. I wish the police could have made him about 500 bullets heavier.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2017, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
But will it make a bang enough big to cover up the sound of proof that Trump colluded with Russia?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...m-links-russia
Considering the sound you speak of is a bunch of left wingers' wishful thinking, I would say so.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2017, 07:09 PM

I'm not sure the British General Communications Headquarters could, by any stretch of a Trump supporter's feeble little mind, be called "a bunch of left wingers", any more than the FBI could, but I suppose that hasn't stopped any from doing so anyway...

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2017, 07:02 AM

I don't think GCHQ was the subject of his sentence.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2017, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I'm not sure the British General Communications Headquarters could, by any stretch of a Trump supporter's feeble little mind, be called "a bunch of left wingers", any more than the FBI could, but I suppose that hasn't stopped any from doing so anyway...
Show me some evidence.

The only evidence I've seen so far is that a random bank server in Russia sent a couple thousand DNS requests about the Trump organizations main mail server.

It's not like these connections haven't been drawn since Trump got elected, so at this point, 6 months later, when there's still no evidence and just a bunch of speculation, it's hard for me to process it as anything other than sour grapes and wishful thinking.

I guess we've vindicated Podesta and the DNC for rigging the primary already? Because that one was real, with hard evidence.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 21, 2017, 09:43 AM

One word: Juicero

mindwaves
Apr 27, 2017, 11:41 PM

http://www.leftlanenews.com/oregon-f...tch-95721.html

Really stupid. An engineer received a fine for practicing engineering without a (PE) license. He just did some studies and wanted to present his findings to the board. He ran no business doing this (he did it in his own time) and made no money off of it, so a PE license is not needed.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2017, 09:03 AM

This certainly seems awful on the surface. The only thing I can think of which would make it veer towards the reasonable is he made claims of being an engineer in his letter to the city.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 28, 2017, 09:15 AM

"Engineer" isn't even really a word that means anything like "doctor" or "lawyer." Sanitation engineers and maintenance engineers certainly aren't licensed.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/egr/6082932545.html

I hope they're making sure their building engineers are fully licensed to sweep the floors.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2017, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
"Engineer" isn't even really a word that means anything like "doctor" or "lawyer." Sanitation engineers and maintenance engineers certainly aren't licensed.
I'm assuming it's more along the lines of a "business license" type deal. I mean... they hit doctors and lawyers with a lot more than a $500 fine.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 28, 2017, 09:34 AM

I don't think it's a business license thing, they took issue with his using the term "Engineer" without being registered with OSBEELS, the Oregon organization that tests and licenses engineers.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2017, 09:47 AM

Looking at the OSBEELS rate card, it sure looks like a business license.

That's sure as hell what I'd call it if I had to pay it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2017, 10:35 AM

Is this a good analogy?

A man who is a licenced doctor in India but not in the US moves to the US. He visits the county hospital for a routine checkup and notices that some of the nurses don't wash their hands. He writes a letter to the county medical board:

Hi, I'm a doctor in India, but not in the US. I noticed some nurses not washing their hands at the county hospital, which can cause diseases to spread. They should wash with soap and water and the hospital procedures should be reviewed to make sure everyone knows to wash their hands.
Should he be fined for illegally practicing medicine without a license?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 28, 2017, 10:52 AM

Fyre Festival

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2017, 11:05 AM

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2017, 11:07 AM

Is this a good analogy?

A man who is a licenced doctor in India but not in the US moves to the US. He visits the county hospital for a routine checkup and notices that some of the nurses don't wash their hands. He writes a letter to the county medical board:

It depends on how the licensing structure works.

I'm (perhaps incorrectly) assuming there's no real accreditation going on for a license which costs $75/year. It's for all intents and purposes a business license. It exists only for revenue generating purposes.

Part and parcel with this model are being nobs about it. No one will pay for the "license" unless they get dinged for non-compliance.

andi*pandi
Apr 28, 2017, 11:42 AM

and thus do we discourage volunteerism in the community. Someone's nose was bent because he criticized their traffic light programming, OR because they intentionally programmed it badly to create a ticket situation. He did not misadvertise himself, commit resume fraud, etc, as he was never hired to do anything. Any public citizen has the right to observe their city and make suggestions.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2017, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I'm (perhaps incorrectly) assuming there's no real accreditation going on for a license which costs $75/year. It's for all intents and purposes a business license. It exists only for revenue generating purposes.
Getting the PE in the first place requires passing the FE exam post-bachelor's, 5 years of time in industry under a current PE, then passing the PE licensing exam. After that it has to be maintained, but it's not that easy in the first place.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2017, 05:08 PM

Getting the PE in the first place requires passing the FE exam post-bachelor's, 5 years of time in industry under a current PE, then passing the PE licensing exam. After that it has to be maintained, but it's not that easy in the first place.
That's fair, and I honestly appreciate the clarification, but I was working off of a bunch of janitor jokes.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2017, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
and thus do we discourage volunteerism in the community. Someone's nose was bent because he criticized their traffic light programming, OR because they intentionally programmed it badly to create a ticket situation. He did not misadvertise himself, commit resume fraud, etc, as he was never hired to do anything. Any public citizen has the right to observe their city and make suggestions.
I'm not trying to defend the idea, even with the clarification above, it still sounds like a racket to me.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2017, 05:13 PM

Is this a good analogy?

I would think that in order to be "practicing medicine" you would be needing to do something only a doctor/RN can do - i.e. represent yourself to a patient as such or interact directly with a patient in that capacity. Anyone can complain about the nurses not following protocol.

I would draw another analogy to attorneys. Are you really practicing law if you complain that the State's attorney had an ex-parte conversation with the judge?

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2017, 05:16 PM

I don't think it's a business license thing, they took issue with his using the term "Engineer" without being registered with OSBEELS, the Oregon organization that tests and licenses engineers.

In another example:

"Solutions Engineer" is a widely used title/role that has nothing to do with the field of engineering. It's a sales role.

I wonder if that would qualify for a penalty under Oregon's insane regulatory scheme.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2017, 10:22 AM

Pity the Genetic Engineer. Two sets of license fees!!
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2017, 11:47 AM

Japan Puts Anime in Zoo and Penguin Adopts a Waifu – Ang Kwan | | Ang Kwan

"Each exhibit pairs a Kemono Friend character with their real life counterpart. Grape-kun, a 20-year old penguin, literally fell in love with Hululu, who is a Humboldt Penguin character.

Japanese visitors noted that Grape-kun would spend every minute staring at, sitting next to, or praising Hululu as if she was a breathing mate. He was even neglecting the rest of his flock just to be with Hululu. The penguin was dedicated!"

mindwaves
May 3, 2017, 06:54 PM

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2017, 09:19 AM

All of this pales to Bill Nye the "Sex Junk" Guy. Feel the cringe.

"If they're alive, I'll date em"? Raise your standards, sweetheart. "Sex stew"? Oh, hell no.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

andi*pandi
May 4, 2017, 11:02 AM

That is quite tame for Rachel Bloom.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2017, 05:30 PM

I feel like I'm missing some context maybe. Was this part of a show about sexual development and so forth?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

andi*pandi
May 4, 2017, 08:05 PM

Yes. And Rachel Bloom does a musical sitcom which has catchy/funny song parodies.

It would be cringy if Bill were singing it, but Rachel Bloom can sing about all kinds of crazy things and make it seem natural.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2017, 12:46 AM

You didn't see Bill bobbing and singing along, eyeing her like a creeper? There's no context to miss; it's both hilarious, for its cringe factor, and pathetic, implying that people who are trans, gay, or bi are willing to smash anyone or anything, just to get their rocks off. What a terrible message to send out to people in today's culture, where STDs are out of control.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2017, 09:07 AM

Thats not the message at all. I don't know whether you're being deliberately obtuse to support your views or if this is a simultaneously damning and enlightening insight into whats desperately lacking in your understanding of other people and the world.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2017, 01:05 PM

What was cringe inducing about it was how flat she was.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2017, 01:05 PM

If you want to see obtuse, you need look no further than yourself. Her "sex stew"? "If they're alive, I'll date em"? Yeah... you're simply wrong there.

Oh, this was on the same show:

Originally Posted by subego View Post
What was cringe inducing about it was how flat she was.
and her inability to dance, at all.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2017, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
and her inability to dance, at all.
My guess is she can probably do both, just not at the same time.

Edit: I know people make fun of them, but there's a reason Britney, JT, and Biebs are superstars.
( Last edited by subego; May 5, 2017 at 01:26 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2017, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
If you want to see obtuse, you need look no further than yourself. Her "sex stew"? "If they're alive, I'll date em"? Yeah... you're simply wrong there.
I missed that line, but I imagine there's an implied "if I'm attracted to them".

andi*pandi
May 5, 2017, 02:07 PM

my impression of the song was less "omg let's go hogwild and be promiscuous and share STDs" and more "I can be attracted to anyone".

Rachel can dance, and sing... but not sure if here she was attempting to mimic a "style" or not.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2017, 06:58 PM

So childish.
The point was that sexuality is a spectrum (I think that was also a direct line in the song) and different people define themselves different ways and anyone can be anything and be into anything and thats ok.

Here is a track by The Offspring which contains the line "Beat all the N-words!"

I suppose you think the point of the this song is to encourage racist violence?

I agree the cringe factor was more about quality of the song and the performance. It didn't sound great. They should have done a pre-recorded music video instead.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2017, 12:38 AM

So childish.
Yes, you're generally rather pitiful.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2017, 09:48 PM

The point was that sexuality is a spectrum (I think that was also a direct line in the song) and different people define themselves different ways and anyone can be anything and be into anything and thats ok.
That's where they've actually received some criticism: biological sexuality is not a spectrum. Except for anatomical defects, it's binary. Advocates for transgender-acceptance say that gender is a spectrum -- not sex.

Here's the question that invariably comes up in transgender discussions: when someone suffers from body integrity identity disorder, physicians are actually prohibited by law from removing the arm, leg, whatever that the patient feels "isn't a part of me."

With that in mind, why is gender reassignment surgery not prohibited?

subego
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2017, 01:23 AM

Is there any reason beyond the superficial to assume these pathologies are related?

I'm sure someone, somewhere, objects to me using the word pathology for both, but I can't be arsed about it right now.

andi*pandi
May 7, 2017, 08:29 PM

I think you can say biological sex is a binary, but not sexuality.
asexual -- straight -- bi -- gay -- poly -- whatevs?

whereas gender I think is more tricky, because so much of gender is socialized (liking to wear dresses/pants, playing with dolls/trucks, behavior expectations).

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2017, 07:35 AM

Its my understanding that there are people nowadays who identify as what they call gender fluid. I guess thats something like saying both genders or perhaps neither. Maybe gender is quantum rather than binary.

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2017, 11:53 AM

Gender vs sex - you're confusing these

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2017, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I think you can say biological sex is a binary, but not sexuality.
You could, but they'd call it sexist. Now they're (erroneously) calling biological sex a spectrum. Hell, Bill Nye even pulled his 1990s episode where they explain how sex is determined by a person's chromosomes.

http://freebeacon.com/culture/netfli...ermine-gender/

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2017, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Shortcut View Post
Gender vs sex - you're confusing these
No, they're trying to integrate them, now claiming that sex (not just sexuality) is a spectrum.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2017, 03:03 PM

This email from Steve Harvey to his staff got leaked. It's from the beginning of this season.

Originally Posted by Steve Harvey
Good morning, everyone. Welcome back.

I’d like you all to review and adhere to the following notes and rules for Season 5 of my talk show.

There will be no meetings in my dressing room. No stopping by or popping in. NO ONE.

Do not come to my dressing room unless invited.

Do not open my dressing room door. IF YOU OPEN MY DOOR, EXPECT TO BE REMOVED.

My security team will stop everyone from standing at my door who have the intent to see or speak to me.

I want all the ambushing to stop now. That includes TV staff.

You must schedule an appointment.

I have been taken advantage of by my lenient policy in the past. This ends now. NO MORE.

Do not approach me while I’m in the makeup chair unless I ask to speak with you directly. Either knock or use the doorbell.

I am seeking more free time for me throughout the day.

Do not wait in any hallway to speak to me. I hate being ambushed. Please make an appointment.

I promise you I will not entertain you in the hallway, and do not attempt to walk with me.

If you’re reading this, yes, I mean you.

Everyone, do not take offense to the new way of doing business. It is for the good of my personal life and enjoyment.

Thank you all,

Steve Harvey

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2017, 04:21 PM

Have there been issues in the past? Are people giving him shit about his suits?

Ham Sandwich
May 15, 2017, 10:04 AM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 08:38 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules