Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Keynote Testamonial

Keynote Testamonial
dbergstrom
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2003, 12:27 AM

I am a medical student at the University of Washington School of Medicine. At the Department of Medicine noon conference today, one of the rheumatologists was speaking.

He hooked his TiBook up to the projector, and I saw he was running OS X goodness. When he launched his talk, I could tell from the beautiful asthetics of the title slide we were not dealing with Powerpoint dreck.

Then he pressed the forward arrow and Wham! - one of those cool 3D cube transitions (actually, it was more like W....h...a...m...! , but anyhoo). The whole freakin' audience went nuts. I mean stop the talk for 30 seconds nuts, lots of "Oooohs" and "Aaaaahs" and "How'd you do that?"

His response, once the crowd settled down, was: "Keynote - anyone with a Mac can buy it for $14.95." (Of course, he was higher ed faculty and took advantage of the educator discount.)

I had to leave then, so I don't know how the rest of his talk went (like if there were any crashes). But man, it was a sweet beginning!
Don

xtal
Senior User
Mar 12, 2003, 12:47 AM

Sounds like what happened when I gave a talk to my lab group. I couldn't stop beaming like an idiot.

(still can't it seems)

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

ARENA
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2003, 12:51 AM

That's the problem with Keynote! The audience gets impressed by it's amazing effects and don't pay attention to the actual information in the slides

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2003, 01:23 AM

Yes, same thing here.
I tried very hard to pick transitions that flowed with the content, but anything other than a PowerPoint disolve brings murmurs from the audience.

The second time I did the same talk, I had to nearly eliminate all the OpenGL/3D effects and leave it with pushes/pulls and disolves.

foamy
Senior User
Mar 12, 2003, 01:49 AM

Hey Don. Glad to hear about a keynote success. I'm waiting for error bars before I use it for a presentation. I guess since it doesn't have error bar functionality you can always blame the software when someone asks why your graphs don't have them.

xtal
Senior User
Mar 12, 2003, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by foamy:
Hey Don. Glad to hear about a keynote success. I'm waiting for error bars before I use it for a presentation. I guess since it doesn't have error bar functionality you can always blame the software when someone asks why your graphs don't have them.
You could use Chartsmith 1.2 and import the TIFFs into Keynote. I have a feeling that even if Keynote had error bar functionality, there would still be something important (scientifically speaking) missing.

I wouldn't rely on future releases of Keynote to be 'charting' or 'graphing' applications.

Chartsmith 1.2:
http://www.blacksmith.com/products/index.html

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

KeynoteHQ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2003, 07:29 PM

My "day job" is in the engineering field. Even with Powerpoint, we don't rely on internal capabilities for graphing many of our data displays. Usually, packages like Igor is used.

Forum Links
Forum Rules