Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > "IT IS NOW SAFE TO TURN OFF YOUR MACINTOSH?!?"

"IT IS NOW SAFE TO TURN OFF YOUR MACINTOSH?!?"
cwashii
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2002, 11:01 PM

HOW can I esure that that I will N-E-V-E-R need to see that message again when I have shut down my computer, go to grab some Kool-Aid, then come back only to find that my computer needs to be SWITCHED OFF??

In other words...

IS there a modification to bypass the "Manual On/Off Switch" so that I can use the switch on the Keyboard instead??
-------
Craig W.
Mac Proud (1985-) in Houston Texas
Current Toys: Performa 578 & 6115/G3, PowerMac 6100/G3, 7300/200, 7600/200, 7300/200, 7600/233, 7500/132 ... 4 Duo Docks, Three Powerbook Duo 280c's, two Turtle Doves.... AND I still use my Newton 120 daily !!)

gto47
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2002, 11:06 PM

What kind of computer is this? I'm going to take a stab and say its a 6100,but let me know, and we'll work from there.
Mac Pro 8x2.8 | Macbook 2.13 | Saab Trionic 7 (thats right, runs on a 68k!)

cwashii  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2002, 11:19 PM

Oh... sorry!

Yup... PowerMac 6100
-------
Craig W.
Mac Proud (1985-) in Houston Texas
Current Toys: Performa 578 & 6115/G3, PowerMac 6100/G3, 7300/200, 7600/200, 7300/200, 7600/233, 7500/132 ... 4 Duo Docks, Three Powerbook Duo 280c's, two Turtle Doves.... AND I still use my Newton 120 daily !!)

gto47
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2002, 11:51 PM

On the 6100, I believe that there was initially a power management control panel, which could control certain functions of power management, such as monitor sleep etc. This control panel was specific to the 6100, and is not included in mac OS updates. I believe the extension existed only in 7.5-7.6, though i cannot be absolutely sure. If you were able to obtain this extension, either by extracting it from the installation cd that came with the power mac 6100, or by some other means, you should be able to control certain elements of the computers power management functions. This control panel will not, however get rid of that annoying message you described. Unfortunately, the power mac 6100 is something of a crude computer. I mean, after all it was the first PPC based macintosh. Well anyway, misfortune would have it that that button, or switch really that you press when you shut down is actually attached directly to the power supply of the computer. The computer lacks the power management capabilities both on the motherboard and on the power supply to allow your computer to shut itself down. Hate to break it to you, but i guess you'll be drinking a lot of kool-aid.
Mac Pro 8x2.8 | Macbook 2.13 | Saab Trionic 7 (thats right, runs on a 68k!)

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2002, 09:53 PM

There are two kinds of Power Supplies in the computer world. Those that can turn themselves off and those that can't.

The 6100 doesn't turn off by itself. It is hard switched with the front power switch. You need to push the switch manually.

Older Macs did this too. It wasn't until newer ones that they could turn themselcves off.

The ones that could completely power off were also able to be powered on via the power key on a keyboard.

Some Macs had a combination of the two. The Color Classic for example had a power switch in the back, but that switch only turned on the current running through the computer. In order to actually turn the computer on, you needed to hit the Power Key. The 5500 designs did this too.

Sorry, but the 6100 isn't a lazy man's computer.

Fallout
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 28, 2002, 08:04 PM

Just press the power switch.

Dan Szwarc
Senior User
Jul 29, 2002, 12:18 PM

This is true of older PCs too.

Time to upgrade!
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2002, 01:41 AM

When I first read the subject line, I thought someone out there was running a really classic Mac. Wow I'm really amazed the 6100 didn't have automatic shutdown functionality. Apple must really had to have cut costs if they had to take out that feature.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2002, 09:09 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Jasoco:
<strong>Older Macs did this too. It wasn't until newer ones that they could turn themselcves off.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">All the Mac II's where able to Auto power off. it's not that the 610's (Quadra & Centris(?SP)) and later PPC 6100's where old it's just that the powersuply was crap.
I think that this 'shape' of Mac is the only one (from Apple) not to auto power off (excluding the Plus) the other 1'st gen Powermac's (7100's & 8100's) do, heck I think that the SE's & Clasic's had Auto off power.

Forum Links
Forum Rules