Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Miglia TVMiniHD Mini Review

Miglia TVMiniHD Mini Review
loocfa
Jun 8, 2006, 02:34 PM

I been looking all over the net for a good review for the Miglia TVMiniHD and couldnt find a decent one. So I just decided to take the plunge and purchase one for my 2.0 Ghz Macbook. Whats the results? Great HD and picture quality with no hiccups whatsoever. Here are some pics:

MacBook + TVMiniHD + EspnHD =

(Not linked)
(Not linked)

I have it hooked up to my cable line and it picks up also all other channels along with the HD channels. It also acts as a PVR and there is no pauses or stutters when pausing live TV/HD, even while multitasking...but then again i have 2MB of ram in my Macbook . It also allows for scheduled recording and the results are fantastic!

The only downside is that the included antenna didnt pick up too many channels and when it did, it stuttered quite a bit. So your best bet is to hook it up to a cable line and let it pick up unencrypted cable (QAM) signals.

It ran me about $180 shipped. If you have a Core Duo Intel Mac and want to get some HD programming on it, this is a pretty good deal!

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2006, 08:09 PM

Cool.
Does the software allow you to burn a recorded show (either SD or HD) to DVD (not just as a data file, but as a DVD you could play on any DVD player)?
How about screenshots? Can you take images off an HD show, or is it locked out like Apple's DVD player app does?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2006, 03:34 PM

If the recorded shows open in iMovie or iDVD, you should be able to burn to a playable DVD. I don't have any of the hardware above though, so I don't know if the shows are protected or DRM encrypted when they're recorded.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

loocfa  (op)
Jun 9, 2006, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
Cool.
Does the software allow you to burn a recorded show (either SD or HD) to DVD (not just as a data file, but as a DVD you could play on any DVD player)?
How about screenshots? Can you take images off an HD show, or is it locked out like Apple's DVD player app does?
It actually doesnt allow you to burn in the software itself...but it has a one click export to Toast. I have recorded some HD programs, as well as some regular digital content and burned them to DVD and the results are great. Im not sure about screenshots, but im sure there is a way to do it.

cornwallstone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2006, 06:38 PM

Thanks for the review. Lightning just took out the FusionHDTV USB Gold on my 1920 x1200 Dell laptop (connected to an outdoor OTA antenna) feeding BeyondTV4. The Dell and the USB hub powering the tuner are still okay though. Guess I have an excuse to switch the TV viewing now. :-)

FWIW, the little antenna included with the Fusion didn't work worth a crap either and neither did the desktop indoor antenna Snapstream included.

Forum Links
Forum Rules